HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it’s been discussed that HK isn‘t going to be importing the FA lower components for many of its platforms due to new German export restrictions. But I have also been hearing, from several reliable sources inside the industry, that they have also begun labeling components “weapons of war” such as stock attachments & plastic lower housings (due to their ability to physically house FA trigger components). I also have it on good authority that HK has taken some drastic steps to try to acquire missing components for some of its import guns.

Does anyone have further insights into this? It sounds like this might be a scenario where HK shifts gears & switches to higher percentages of parts being made in the US. I don’t know if it would be drastic as Sig Sauer just going full US built. But it sounds like a pretty serious shake up for the long term outlook for HKs ability to offer certain platforms.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I know it’s been discussed that HK isn‘t going to be importing the FA lower components for many of its platforms due to new German export restrictions. But I have also been hearing, from several reliable sources inside the industry, that they have also begun labeling components “weapons of war” such as stock attachments & plastic lower housings (due to their ability to physically house FA trigger components). I also have it on good authority that HK has taken some drastic steps to try to acquire missing components for some of its import guns.

Does anyone have further insights into this? It sounds like this might be a scenario where HK shifts gears & switches to higher percentages of parts being made in the US. I don’t know if it would be drastic as Sig Sauer just going full US built. But it sounds like a pretty serious shake up for the long term outlook for HKs ability to offer certain platforms.
Appears the M110 buttstock is labeled as such. WTF...

·
Vendor
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2,571 Posts
Bundesamt für Wirtschaft und Ausfuhrkontrolle (essentially the German ATF) requires an End User Certificate for some parts. This requires certification of the end user of an allowed use.

Years past, just HK machine guns etc., now effective 1-1-22 bolts, bolt carriers, trigger packs (all MP5) and now some stocks!

There are “dual use parts” which fit, for example the G28 and MR308, which previously were not an issue but now are.
The situation for German dealers has become uncertain and I have been told that almost everything will require an export permit - a little anecdote:
I’ve been waiting and waiting for a G28 sling - That type of part does not require any ATF paperwork. Anyway finally arrived and the original packaging was kind of roughed up and when I asked the seller about it - all G28 stickers were removed before shipment.
Anyway, I now have the real deal. I have complained before about having to order more than one in order to spread the freight, now I am glad I got a few.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bundesamt für Wirtschaft und Ausfuhrkontrolle (essentially the German ATF) requires an End User Certificate for some parts. This requires certification of the end user of an allowed use.

Years past, just HK machine guns etc., now effective 1-1-22 bolts, bolt carriers, trigger packs (all MP5) and now some stocks!

There are “dual use parts” which fit, for example the G28 and MR308, which previously were not an issue but now are.
The situation for German dealers has become uncertain and I have been told that almost everything will require an export permit - a little anecdote:
I’ve been waiting and waiting for a G28 sling - That type of part does not require any ATF paperwork. Anyway it finally arrived and the original packaging was kind of roughed up and when I asked the seller about it - all G28 stickers were removed before shipment.
Anyway, I now have the real deal. I have complained before about having to order more than one in order to spread the freight, now I am glad I got a few.
My understanding is it’s worse than that since HK has, to my understanding, started inquiries into US manufacturing sources on components normally included in their exports.

·
Vendor
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2,571 Posts
The transition of Glock, FN & Sig and my understanding is that perhaps BT is looking into domestic production- In the short run lots to complain about - in the long run I say welcome to America.

·
Banned
457 Posts
Any component other than soft goods (mag pouches, slings, bags) requires export permits on the EU side. Then you need to also submit a F6. There are dealers like Viking tac that aware of this yet still will ship without permits ie the Burke GB. It’s highly likely your order will be seized as a few members have experienced recently. Expect longer wait times for dealers trying to get items (longer than before) and expect just as long for export approval or denial. The guys who did many of my previous orders are uncertain on what’s to come. Don’t expect any of the cool items to be made here than exported there though.

·
Vendor
140 Posts
It will be interesting to see if US producers step up.

The FN SCAR was only supplied by parts out of Belgium for a bunch of years, then ShootingSight and a few other companies started making after-market trigger packs, then there were machined lowers (machining costing more per part, but didn't have the huge up-front cost of injection molds), eventually people started making receivers, stock adapters, trunions, etc. In parallel, with the introduction of the SCAR 20, FN USA started making more of the parts here in the US. So a parallel market has evolved.

If parts from Europe get choked off, a US market will probably eventually step in.

·
Vendor
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2,571 Posts
I wonder how this will affect police trade in firearms?
in the short run: prices up. The long term problem with unavailability is you don’t get the new generation interested in the same stuff. So price plateaus rather quickly. I can recount the history of guns which were high demand 10 / 20 / 30 years ago. People are priced out of the market to where there is no more market.
My hope is that HK USA steps up to the plate. And then we will have years of premium demanded for German made v. US parts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Bundesamt für Wirtschaft und Ausfuhrkontrolle (essentially the German ATF)
BAFA is more a combination of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security and Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.

The function of the US BATF is fulfilled by the Bundeskriminalamt (BKA) in Germany.

The situation for German dealers has become uncertain and I have been told that almost everything will require an export permit
Which is exactly how it is for us with US made parts and components due to ITAR.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,463 Posts
BAFA is more a combination of the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security and Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.

The function of the US BATF is fulfilled by the Bundeskriminalamt (BKA) in Germany.

Which is exactly how it is for us with US made parts and components due to ITAR.
Actually, most parts and such now fall under Commerce, not State (ITAR). Much easier to export now.

·
Vendor
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2,571 Posts
Actually, most parts and such now fall under Commerce, not State (ITAR). Much easier to export now.
Very true - the exemption is $500 not the $100 ATF rule - That came in years ago - certain items are no longer defined as “gun parts.” But, try to get a German dealer to understand that.
The problem is Germany is expanding the EUC. So now some want permission to ship anything. My understanding is that a stock which does not enclose the fire control parts is not a “gun part.”
And of course the problem: big minimum purchase & expensive DHL & wait & wait…….
Perhaps we have become the Amazon society where we are used to ordering something and having it walk in the door two days later.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,463 Posts
I want my stuff to arrive before I even realize that I need/want it...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts