HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday went to the indoor range (25 yds max) with my V93 rifle, and had some failures to cycle with the bolt sticking in the rearmost position. Disassembled, gave it a rough cleaning, and lubed with Ballistol. Simple stuff that. The rifle ran great today.

I guess these rifles don't like to be dry.

Now only 4 months until Spring. Then it is to the outdoors once again.

Sigh.

·
Registered
190 Posts
cool, good to hear feedback.
just got mine on saturday. ran 200 rounds through it at the gunshop/indoor range, before taking it home.... is your stock a royal bit#$ to get off, too? took it down three times today, and i'm thinking of sanding the inside of the buttstock. :( used cheapo american eagle ammo.
other than that, ran fine. cleaned the barrel, but am hesitant to remove the "special grease" from the reciever....

my front sight is crooked too. way over to the left, noticably, when you look down the barrel. will have to fix it...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
cool, good to hear feedback.
just got mine on saturday. ran 200 rounds through it at the gunshop/indoor range, before taking it home.... is your stock a royal bit#$ to get off, too? took it down three times today, and i'm thinking of sanding the inside of the buttstock. :( used cheapo american eagle ammo.
other than that, ran fine. cleaned the barrel, but am hesitant to remove the "special grease" from the reciever....

my front sight is crooked too. way over to the left, noticably, when you look down the barrel. will have to fix it...
I followed the instructions to leave the grease in there for 200 rounds or so. It ran ok. Since then after much experimentation I have discovered that it simply will NOT run in a condition even approaching dry. I have tried different lubricants, and finally Ballistol seems to work as it should. The buttstock that they ship with the rifle is pretty poor. It was a tight fit, as you have discovered. I eventually found a HK 33 stock with steel endcup and installed that. It fit tight at first too, but with a bit of fettling I was able to get it to go on, stay snug, and come off with only moderate coaxing.

The sight base issue is one which I would return to the factory. Mine was straight enough, but the elevation is depressed about as far is it will go, and is still a scosh high.

These rifles are not perfect.

However, mine will shoot an inch with Hornady 55 grain FMJ bullets, and below that with Hornady Vmax ammo that it likes. It is scary accurate, so I put up with the other nonsense despite having had to stifle the desire to wrap it around a tree on a few occasions due to failure to run as it should.

I'll keep it properly lubricated, and keep tinkering if necessary to get it to work properly. I guess it is like a supermodel with bad bromodrosis or something where it has ONE really outstanding feature that causes you to put up with the other, less than stellar aspects.

Another issue that bugs me is finding reasonably priced optics for the rifle due to its short envelope caused by the charging handle. So I just gave up, and last week purchased a 6x IOR scope which is far from ideal. It extends over the bolt open notch on the cocking tube, but it doesn't interfere with locking the action open. The scope eye relief makes me wish my neck were a little shorter. I may have to get another Magpul PRS stock for use with the scope because of the variable LOP that stock affords. The scope itself is as clear or clearer than the Leupold Mk4, and the price is quite favorable.

The out of spec receiver required me to modify a HK claw mount to work properly on the rifle. Again, the little bastid is a PITA, but it is SO darned accurate that I find myself jumping through all sorts of gyrations just so I can remain impressed when I shoot it.

Hope yours works right for you.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
This is the first I've heard of sights being crooked. Is it a common thing? I've only seen a couple of examples at the local gun shop and both of those were straight and looked good. The butt stocks did come off a little tough though. My 33k is built of a Vector receiver and the stock is tough to get off of it too, but it's getting better at time goes by.

·
Registered
190 Posts
went out to the range today, and ran another 200 rounds of wolf .223 this time. still no problems with function.

now dont cringe or anything, but i viced up the reciever and took a padded wrench to the front sight base......and flexed it noticably toward zero...
and i can compensate for the difference with the rear sight now :) couldn't bring myself to send off a rifle i just got. yeah, i know , crazy kentucky windage.... probably fall off on me in the future .... but it seems better anyway.

you're right though, just as accurate as my ar-15's .
mag is really tight in the well. stock is still tight, but it doesn't bind up the bolt or anything..... going to sand it as soon as i get done typing. might do the vice thing again too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts