HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting the insight M2 light and it says that it has a "spring loaded rocker switch" but when I look at the pictures, it looks like its just an on/off toggle on the left side of the back of the light. How exactly do you operate these lights? Are they similar to the streamlight TLRs or surefire x200s? I want a light that I can turn on and off with my trigger finger if I cant use my support hand.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The M2 has two switches. The one you are referencing is the "on-off" switch that provides power to the circuitry. This is actually a real good idea; several times I have run the batteries down on my M3 because the intermittent switch was "bumped" and held in the on position when I stored the pistol.

The actual M2 activation switch is a lever under the rear of the light, which is accessible to your support hand index finger.

Unfortunately, this is not a good spot for it. Its fine if you just leave the light on until you're finished shooting; but if you use the light for real, properly turning it on/off/on as you search, etc., I find that my index finger slips off the switch when I shoot.

All other pistol lights that I am familiar with (aside from the older SureFires and others that use a tape switch) have switches designed to be activated with your support thumb, and are MUCH more positive in use. The M2 switch works; its just in an odd place.

And unless you have REALLY long fingers, no way you're going to be able to activate any but a grip-mounted tape switch with your shooting hand... at least, while you have a proper grip on the pistol.

Keep in mind that the M2 was the first of its kind; a self-contained light that can be quickly mounted/dis-mounted. The newer lights, such as the M3, X200, etc., are more user-friendly.

But the M2 will get the job done. That's why I still have one... ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts