HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I wanted to know what size roll pin punch everyone is using to install the extended mag release I don't want to bugger it all up? Are there any tricks to installing it ( like the TRS ). Also if anyone has any suggestions on where to get the proper size punch that would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
703 Posts
I used a 2.5 mm hex screwdriver. Worked like a million bucks. A very good upgrade to this pistol, as you've already surmised.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
3/32 will do. Don't push the pin out all the way. Push it enough that you can remove the mag release. When inserting the new release, use the top of a knife to compress the mag release spring, then push the spring + release back into the catch. Then drive the pin back. Should take you no more than 5 mins.

I got a set of Grace USA steel roll-pin punches (6 of them) for $27.49 from MidwayUSA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
will 3/32 work on the fullsize USP 40, not sure if they are all the same i bought the new mag realease and have no way to put it in until i figure out what size punch i need to buy.

I appreciate any help you can give

Thanks
Bizz

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A Glock punch works wonders too, if you have one handy.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Jewlers phillips screwdriver.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lowes has a full set of Bosch punches for $11. Get the set and pick the one that fits in the hole.:wink:

The more I got into firearms, I slowly bought tools to work on them. The right tool will always make it easier and less chance of buggering up the gun. I've had to start buying a second set since my son got into firearms. He keeps borrowing them and doesn't bring them back.:41:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used a stinger golf tee. . . hahaha

·
Registered
164 Posts
3/32 will do. Don't push the pin out all the way. Push it enough that you can remove the mag release. When inserting the new release, use the top of a knife to compress the mag release spring, then push the spring + release back into the catch. Then drive the pin back. Should take you no more than 5 mins.

I got a set of Grace USA steel roll-pin punches (6 of them) for $27.49 from MidwayUSA.
Great info, thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
When inserting the new release, use the top of a knife to compress the mag release spring, then push the spring + release back into the catch. Then drive the pin back. Should take you no more than 5 mins.
I just replaced the mag release in my P2000 with the extended mag release. I was about to use a knife to guide the spring back into the frame but I was afraid I would scratch something up due to clumsiness. I ended up using a soft plastic guitar pick. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone im new to the H&K world but i love the gun! best handgun ive ever owned and ive owned quite a few from glocks to taurus's and alot in between

Thanks again
Bizz

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I got a AR punch pin set with four sizes. medium small one works. the only tricky part and its easy is getting the spring set. I used a small flat screwdriver

·
Registered
177 Posts
This was very helpful. I would add just a couple of thoughts - the spring is under pressure so be careful when you pull out the factory mag release. Its not an eye poker but could lead to " where did that little black spring disappear to". When compressing the spring with a small flat blade screw driver the spring kept getting stuck in the notch where the lip of the mag release rests. I found that coming in from the side with the blade compressing the spring was beneficial. As noted above, the only challenging part is compressing the spring while finessing the extended mag release into place.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When you compress the spring to reassemble, use a butter knife.
Yea once you do it a bunch of times it takes a minute at most. I just use my pocket knife.

And almost every part in a gun is under spring tension. Whenever you drive a pin out, expect there to be spring tension there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts