HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've easily installed night sights on Glocks by carefully taping up all surfaces I don't want scratched, then using a C-clamp to squeeze the sights flush to the slide, and a punch and hammer to persuade them only the final 2mm or so.

I've ordered sights for my HK, but would like to hear from you guys as I'm an HK new guy, if there anything I need to know (heating to loosen loctite on the factory sights) before attempting this procedure on an HK for the first time?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Just get a brass, or nylon punch, and knock them sights out.

Dont hit it too hard (keep it in controll) but you gotta hit the punch hard enough to move them off.

The punch is easy enough, but you gotta be careful and make sure your hammer doesn't miss the punch (can make thumbs hurt a lot :( )

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is just me talking, but you spent $____ on the gun, $____ on the sights and you're skimping on the installation? Spring for the install tool!

They're like $60 for one dedicated to the gun or you can get a universal one from midway usa for like $100. I suggest the latter, then you can swap sights for everything else in the arsenal.

Cheers!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Most gunsmiths including well known ones that I know, don't use a sight pusher. Why spend $100 for a tool that doesn't work any better than a $4 punch.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Probably took me about 10 minutes

I used a broken-off 2-inch piece of a wooden Chinese chopstick for a punch and a regular, old, rusty carpenter's hammer with a rag taped around the head. The slide I put in my bench-vise after wrapping it also in a rag.

Worked perfectly, no damage to the slide or sights, and no worry about slipping with either the hammer or the chopstick since they couldn't hurt the slide. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
For those who've installed the sights themselves, how do you line up/zero the sights? I have a USP45C that has noticeably dimmed NS and needs a new set. I am leaning toward MMC adjustables, but I need some direction on how to align/zero them if I decide to install them myself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those who've installed the sights themselves, how do you line up/zero the sights? I have a USP45C that has noticeably dimmed NS and needs a new set. I am leaning toward MMC adjustables, but I need some direction on how to align/zero them if I decide to install them myself.
I put a piece of masking tape all around the slide, right behind or in front of the old sight, and mark with a pen exactly where the center of the old sight is before tapping it out.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Ditto.

The sight pusher is a nice thing to have; but it certainly isn't a necessity for someone who is patient and careful.

Unfortunately I am neither. I always take mine and have a smith do them for me. Yeah it can get expensive but it is still cheaper then the cost of replacing something I break on the gun

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Put 'em in the middle and try it. You can shoot from a rest to test. If you find you need to adjust a little, they're easy enough to tap one way or the other. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
FWIW - I picked up a laser bore sighting tool at my local dealer - $25, put a caliber specific end on it, slide it down the muzzle aim, adjust. Then fine tune at the range with a rest.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts