HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this happen four times. Each time it was the same. FTF and upon closer inspection it was locked about 1/4" out of battery. Tried palming it forward and it went nowhere. Finally with more force than should be needed I was able to eject the round and this is what I got.

The one round I couldnt recover because I did a TRB and the round went wherever, but I assume it was the same since it had the same OOB symptom. From the extractor markings Im fairly certain the damaged portion was at the 0600 position which means it ripped somehow going over the edge of the ramp into the chamber. Any ideas what it could be?
Ammo: Winchester White Box 115gr.
Gun: USPf 9mm LEM conversion, Heavy hammer spring, factory V1 TRS; Wolff factory rating recoil spring, +10% firing pin spring, +10% magazine springs.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Well the Winchester White Box is my first guess...that ammo is not taper-crimped (just like Remington) so my guess is it was designed for the 'sloppy' chamber in a Glock and hung-up on the tighter HK barrel...

Was this all from one mag? Weak mag spring could theoretically allow imperfect round placement on the feed-ramp and lead to issues...the OOB problem makes me wonder if that's the issue...weak slide return spring could also be to blame for the OOB....I only put HK parts in mine so IDK if its due to the aftermarket stuff...

Anybody else? Very intrigued to see what it actually is! Keep us informed...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the slide got hung up on those rounds because the casing got ripped. They no longer fit in the chambers.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I've had this happen with WWB before. It wasn't the gun. The rounds were seated poorly in the case. I think I had two or so in that box just like that. Winchester QC is pitiful. Load another magazine of the same ammo but inspect each cartridge before putting it in the magazine. If it happens again you have a problem, if it doesn't it was the ammo. My guess is the ammo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what got me, is if the gun was doing it, why is that bullet on the left all folded up on top of the case? You know, now that I think about it, I had a issue a couple times I went to load the mags and I couldnt get all 15 in. So I would empty it and start over. This isnt the first time WWB has failed me. I had a squib from a box last time I went out. I decided at that point to stop buying it, but I got two more boxes as a gift and I was trying to dispose of them properly.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
. . . inspect each cartridge before putting it in the magazine. If it happens again you have a problem, if it doesn't it was the ammo. My guess is the ammo.
This was VERY likely the ammo. Several pictures have surfaced in the past of brand-new, still in the box, WWB with damaged case-mouths. Look at all the cartridges from that lot carefully.

Also, whenever you have a very stuck round (and you are not in an emergency situation), do not force the slide back or you risk breaking your extractor. Instead, press on the rearward portion of the extractor to release it from the case-rim of the stuck round. Lock the slide to the rear, and hold it there. If it is an HK with a safety, put it on SAFE. Then stick a wooden rod down the muzzle and knock the stuck round out.

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
Agree with the ammo being the issue. I've had a few poorly seated rounds in the past year. I always pay very close attention to my ammo when using WWB now.

-Sean

Typoed on my iPhone.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Did some cross-checking on the Smith and Wesson site I'm on....sure enough a nearly identical thread regarding the same issues in an M&P 9mm....wouldn't ya know it....WWB 115gr....looks like a new ammo supply is in order! (Let somebody with a pos Taurus shoot that garbage) ;-)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with WWB. Mine did it in 2 handguns. Its the ammo. Once I started using only federal red box... I never had that problem again.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me with WWB. Mine did it in 2 handguns. Its the ammo. Once I started using only federal red box... I never had that problem again.
Ditto. I pretty much stick to Federal for all the ammo I buy now. It's typically cleaner, cheaper, and I haven't had an issue like that yet. YMMV. Sadly it's not always in stock and sometimes I have to use the WWB.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ditto. I pretty much stick to Federal for all the ammo I buy now. It's typically cleaner, cheaper, and I haven't had an issue like that yet. YMMV. Sadly it's not always in stock and sometimes I have to use the WWB.
I hear that. Sometimes I get lucky and they have the 100 round federal bulk packs. If not I go ahead and buy a bunch of 50 round boxes. I have 5 HK pistols. I dont have the heart to shoot tula in them haha.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ah...the joy of "rolling my own"...haha...maybe its time to consider reloading?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Mass produced ammo is going to have these slip through QC every now and again. Not the end of the world, just shows the importance of being aware of what you're feeding your gun. The best part is, ammo companies will usually send you a package to send the ammo back and then a check for a new box--can't beat that when mistakes get through.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I wish I had the time. Tried to talk my boss into letting me set up a reloading press in my office. It was a no go. Plus around here shops ask crazy prices for primers and brass.
I order everything off MidwayUSA...time is less a factor when I can crank out 500 rounds in an hour...Dillob Precision is a godsend....far as brass and primers I hear ya there....problem here is bullets.....FMJs are like unicorns

Too bad your boss wasn't on board lol...that'd be awesome....

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Mass produced ammo is going to have these slip through QC every now and again. Not the end of the world, just shows the importance of being aware of what you're feeding your gun. The best part is, ammo companies will usually send you a package to send the ammo back and then a check for a new box--can't beat that when mistakes get through.
THIS^

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Am I the only lucky SOB that *knock on wood* doesn't have problems with WWB? I shoot quite a bit of it in 9mm and have yet to have an issue. I'm not committed to it or anything but at this point I want to keep shooting it just to see how long I can go without an issue.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Am I the only lucky SOB that *knock on wood* doesn't have problems with WWB? I shoot quite a bit of it in 9mm and have yet to have an issue. I'm not committed to it or anything but at this point I want to keep shooting it just to see how long I can go without an issue.
WWB is excellent ammo, it really is. When I bought my 9mm ammo, I used to favor the WWB and the Federal brands. I had a similar issue with some Remington UMC ammo. As stated previous, no biggie; let them know if you wish and press on.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I order everything off MidwayUSA...time is less a factor when I can crank out 500 rounds in an hour...Dillob Precision is a godsend....far as brass and primers I hear ya there....problem here is bullets.....FMJs are like unicorns

Too bad your boss wasn't on board lol...that'd be awesome....
yeah what can ya you do? Im sure one day ill break down and buy a dillon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts