HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dunno what happened to the old thread but a lot of guys were experimenting with +2 floor plates and other recipes to add more rounds to 40 S&W and 9mm for "Limited" competition.

I just ordered some JF mags for further experimentation. Anybody got any good tips to go beyond 16?

·
Registered
96 Posts
One of the guys who found a solution (claims 18-19 w/o an extension) ain't talking. I think he may be wanting to go commercial with it and get some $$.

The extreprise +2 extension will give you 18, and is a few mm short of 140mm. Good for USPSA but won't fit the IPSC box. It needs some filing on the corners to clear the JF too. It also won't lock the slide back becuase the spring is too weak. I have a few springs to experiment with in mine (one looks like a very good fit), but it'll have to wait a few months since I've only got one arm at the moment (recovering from surgery).

Also, trimming the "tail" on the follower won't help gain any more capacity, I tried :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The extreprise +2 extension will give you 18, and is a few mm short of 140mm. Good for USPSA but won't fit the IPSC box. It needs some filing on the corners to clear the JF too. It also won't lock the slide back becuase the spring is too weak. I have a few springs to experiment with in mine (one looks like a very good fit), but it'll have to wait a few months since I've only got one arm at the moment (recovering from surgery).

Also, trimming the "tail" on the follower won't help gain any more capacity, I tried :(
I heard about trimming the tail and did it to one of my 13 round mags with the enterprise +2 extension and got 16. Since I wasn't sure if I was asking for trouble I left the other 5 alone. 4 of them got 16 too. The 5th one didn't have the floorplate snapped in tight - then I got 16. So I guess the +2 was +3 after all.

I'm not sure how IPSC or USPSA do the measuring. With the standard mag and +2 (3) enterprise extension; I put my floor plate flat on the table and measured straight up to the top of the bullet tip? I think that's about 137mm. A JF mag would have to be more than 140. Please let me know if I'm doung the math wrong or using bad angles.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
One of the guys who found a solution (claims 18-19 w/o an extension) ain't talking. I think he may be wanting to go commercial with it and get some $$.
Yes "he may", but probably will postpone this idea - I don't have funds needed to "go commercial". Now I'm testing prototype that can be home-made using US avaiable parts (this complicate things a little, becouse I must import all parts to Poland and I have some financial problems lately). Current prototype shows reasonable reliability. However slide lock feature will not be avaible on "DIY" solution. This protoype gives reloadable 18 rounds in .40 without extended baseplate (dont' have 9mm mags to test, bu I think 20 wil go). When design will be finished (so I can give step-by-step recipe) and fully tested I will post all details here, on HKPro and on IPSC Global Village forum.

As for now, trimming of stock follower (middle only to have spring seat, front and rear "to effect") and lock plate (protruding part completelly gound) gives reloadable 17 rouunds in .40 and 18 non-reloadable (for 18+1 on the start). This mag locks slide, as it use stock follower. Using extended base pads will of course extend this numbers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm not sure how IPSC or USPSA do the measuring. With the standard mag and +2 (3) enterprise extension; I put my floor plate flat on the table and measured straight up to the top of the bullet tip? I think that's about 137mm. A JF mag would have to be more than 140. Please let me know if I'm doung the math wrong or using bad angles.
The measurement is done using the rear end of the magazine, not the front.
Measure from the rear plate to the rear lips.

The JF mag with the entreprise +2 Extension just fits within the 140mm. I checked with the USPSA official measurement tool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As for now, trimming of stock follower (middle only to have spring seat, front and rear "to effect") and lock plate (protruding part completelly gound) gives reloadable 17 rouunds in .40 and 18 non-reloadable (for 18+1 on the start). This mag locks slide, as it use stock follower. Using extended base pads will of course extend this numbers.
I've done some similar work on my 9mm jet funnel mags. Removing the floor locking plate and trimming the bottom of the follower gets you 19 rounds reloadable. If you additionally trim a few coils of the spring you get 20 rounds non-reloadable.

I have yet not testet wether trimming the spring a little more gives me a reloadable 20 round mag. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Arredondo extended basepads will, with a little work, fit just fine. The Arredondo I had to experiment with happened to be a +6, so it was of course way too long for matches...but I used it quite a bit in practice sessions.

It functioned 100% for about 9 months and thousands of reloads.........until the mag body broke.

Speaking of mag breakage, I believe THAT is the major obstacle to HKs (with white mag) being used extensively in IPSC/USPSA. The issue is dropping the mag during reloads; the metal basepad vs. the plastic mag body is not a good combo.

If I used plastic standard floorplates, that helped a bit, made the mag quite a bit lighter than with the metal floorplates....which of course led to other problems....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts