1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i'm tired of my clone works most of time but not all the time

i dont make a 6 figure income but i have a oportunity to get a really good
deal but still taking about draining the savings account

whats the current market value for one with A3 stock under 100rds?

if a realiable clone is developed how will that affect value?

is the demand for these growing or the opposite?

Thanks

·
2,832 Posts
if you can get it for close to $3k get it.......I'd say your looking at $3500 for the gun your asking about

never will be any more real 94's imported.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Even the DoJ guns are pushing $3k in asking price. That's absurd but that's the market. I'm imagining the DoJ is getting dropped from more and more of these guns and they're being sold as the same guns as the commercial one's.

As far as demand, it dropped when DoJ's were everywhere and $1500. Now they're higher than ever. It's not a rifle that was produced in big volumes. Unless a big user dumps a bunch of them like CA did, chances are the flow of available guns will always be just a trickle. Even so, there's never going to be a permanent flow that keeps prices down.

A nice, non-DoJ A3 is going to set you back about $3500

·
Registered
422 Posts
My opinion has always been, buy a HK94 if you plan to us Mr Auto Sear, if not it is just an expensive semi auto 9mm carbine.

Buy a USC or a Storm if you plan to shoot semi they all shoot very similar.

Alot of the appeal on 9x guns is that one sear fits all. Not to say that they are not all fine guns which they are, just expensive as semi auto toys.

If I look at the cost of a 1986 HK94 at close to $850 and add in inflation the cost is not much off the value of a used gun today. Is a HK94 a good investment?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Buying almost any gun as an investment is a bad idea. If you want investment options you should look into a more select or historically significant firearm.

As far as reliable clones, they are already out there and as the price others are listing attests, there is still a supply vs. demand problem that keeps the prices for 94's inflated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As far as demand, it dropped when DoJ's were everywhere and $1500.
DOJ 94s at $1500? I thought the cheapest dealers were ever selling them was $2500? To be honest I didn't pay that much attention to them. What did HK sell them to the dealers for?

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
No, buying an HK94 is not a good investment.

If you want to know why not, keep reading.

Buying almost ANY gun is not a good investment. They appreciate very slowly, much more slowly than inflation. That 94 you pay $3,000 for now will likely be not much more than that 5 years from now. When most of them were going for about $3,000 in 2001, I paid about $2900 for mine. There was one on Sturm yesterday for $2900, and they are quite common at just over $3,000. Eventually, and we may already be there, even NFA will no longer be good investments. Actually, I think we're already there.

The good news is that you will never lose money. Guns will always appreciate, but that doesn't make them good investments.

Let me explain - take an $18,000 MP5, the creme of the crop of NFAs. They're appreciating by what, $1,000 a year? That's just barely over 5%. So you say 5% isn't all that bad. Well it is, for two reasons. First off, a 5% return is lousy. It's easy to find mutual funds that earn 10%. But the bigger problem is that your gains on any firearm will not be compound interest. Due to compound interest, a 10% return will cause your principal to double every 7.2 years. So in 15 years, your $18,000 investment will have doubled twice into $72,000. Firearms will appreciate at simple interest, meaning it will take 15 years for it to about double to $37,000.

Are they "good investments"? Hell no. Are they stable investments? Almost certainly. But are they a lot more fun than a mutual fund? HELL YES! So... buy one because they're fun, you won't lose money on them, and enjoy them. Just don't buy them as investment vehicles.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Buying almost ANY gun is not a good investment. They appreciate very slowly, much more slowly than inflation. That 94 you pay $3,000 for now will likely be not much more than that 5 years from now. When most of them were going for about $3,000 in 2001, I paid about $2900 for mine. There was one on Sturm yesterday for $2900, and they are quite common at just over $3,000. Eventually, and we may already be there, even NFA will no longer be good investments. Actually, I think we're already there.

The good news is that you will never lose money. Guns will always appreciate, but that doesn't make them good investments.

Let me explain - take an $18,000 MP5, the creme of the crop of NFAs. They're appreciating by what, $1,000 a year? That's just barely over 5%. So you say 5% isn't all that bad. Well it is, for two reasons. First off, a 5% return is lousy. It's easy to find mutual funds that earn 10%. But the bigger problem is that your gains on any firearm will not be compound interest. Due to compound interest, a 10% return will cause your principal to double every 7.2 years. So in 15 years, your $18,000 investment will have doubled twice into $72,000. Firearms will appreciate at simple interest, meaning it will take 15 years for it to about double to $37,000.

Are they "good investments"? Hell no. Are they stable investments? Almost certainly. But are they a lot more fun than a mutual fund? HELL YES! So... buy one because they're fun, you won't lose money on them, and enjoy them. Just don't buy them as investment vehicles.
+1. Nicely Said.

However here is one thought............... the HK 94 COULD be the worst investment you will ever make. It eats lots and lots of 9mm and is always hungry. By the time you factor in 9mm you could be going negative quickly. But you will be happy..................

·
2,832 Posts
well said!

·
Banned
34,554 Posts
Personally, if you can purchase an HK94 at a reasonable price, it would be a fair investment (NIB a better investment).

However, with the current prices, it will be quite some time (depending upon the 2008 election) before you see any significant return.

Tony

·
Registered
45 Posts
However, with the current prices, it will be quite some time (depending upon the 2008 election) before you see any significant return.

Tony
The upcoming election isn't looking promising for gun owners. If the Democrat's front runner gets in, she'll certainly go after the guns. If the GOP's guy gets in... Let's just say he's already banned more guns than HRC has.

·
Registered
390 Posts
DOJ 94s at $1500? I thought the cheapest dealers were ever selling them was $2500? To be honest I didn't pay that much attention to them. What did HK sell them to the dealers for?
From what I remember $1500 was dealer cost but the cheapest I ever seen one sell for is around $1900.00

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
The upcoming election isn't looking promising for gun owners. If the Democrat's front runner gets in, she'll certainly go after the guns. If the GOP's guy gets in... Let's just say he's already banned more guns than HRC has.
Boy, you've got that right. Both Hillary Rotten Clinton and Giuliani have terrible records on gun rights. If the congress stay in its current state, and one of them has the white house, only a Supreme Court decision could protect us, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I bought Fleming auto sears for $400.00 each. Its been better than compound interest.
18%. Nowhere near my 401K, Roth, company stock or Mutual Fund. But much better than savings, US bonds and the like. Of course, you have to sell them realize the gain. :-(

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I will go on record and say if HC is elected, even with Democratic Congress, no major gun control laws (AWB, etc) will be passed in the first term. HC is smart enough to know 6 of 8 years of BC Presidency was Newtered and De-Foliated by ramming Gun Control early in the Presidency.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will go on record and say if HC is elected, even with Democratic Congress, no major gun control laws (AWB, etc) will be passed in the first term. HC is smart enough to know 6 of 8 years of BC Presidency was Newtered and De-Foliated by ramming Gun Control early in the Presidency.
She'd have a much friendlier reception in congress considering they now hold the majority. Don't forget, the current Speaker is a true gun-hater. I wish I could share your optimism. I'm sticking with my strategy- doing what I can to make sure she nor Rudy get in to begin with.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts