HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
id love to have an HK91 or G3 rifle. unfortunately i dont have that much extra cash at the moment. seeing as thought the hk91/g3 were based off the CETME, i figure this is kinda a grey area as to the HK content. if its a dirty word, delete it and i guess ill have to understand. i figure there are alot of guys here who could answer questions on the subject though.

anyways- a friend of mine recently picked up a CETME at a local gunshow for $300. (!!!!) its a centuty arms with a wood stock and forend in pretty good shape. we took it out and shot it afterwards, it was sweet! i had never fired a CETME/HK91/G3 type rifle. the only ammunition that he had were his match handloads for his GA Precision rifle (painstakingly prepped brass and 175g sierra matchkings) i absolutly loved the rifle.

my friend is the kinda guy who buys stuff and sells it off just as quick. i know that he'll want to sell this rifle in a couple months or so. he'll shoot it alot for a month or so, then get bored with it. i already told him that ive got claim to it when he decides to sell it. im figuring that if i buy it and like it enough, id probably very very inclined to pony up the cash for the real thing.

what can you guys tell me about these rifles?

·
Registered
306 Posts
You need to check militaryfirearm.com and follow up on what needs to be done with the CIA CETME. Most of them have some problems, but nothing that can't be easily fixed. And $300. is a damn good price. :D

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I dont know how others feel about cetme, but for $300 why not. I know I have learned many lessons that cost a whole lot more than that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we shot a 50rd box of his handloads through it with no issues of any kind.

Lon Moer- ill check at site. thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
i liked mine but i wound up parting mine out due to head space issues

·
Registered
597 Posts
I ended up with a cetme a couple years ago as a stop gap until I could get a ptr.
as much crap that is spoken about century builds, mine worked perfectly from day one. I actually ended up with one of the early ptr's with the tight chamber, and the cetme shot circles around it. It NEVER faultered, not even a weak ejection.

after the ban went away, out came the dremel and the muzzle brake was chopped off. under the brake was a perfectly threaded muzzle, spun on a flash hider, installed an evil bayo lug and it was easily my favorite rifle.

not bad for the $300 I paid.

if you can check it out thouroughly, and it passes your inspection, I say get it.

·
Registered
34,571 Posts
CETME? :) A bad word? :eek: Of course NOT!!! :D
Especially when you combine it with MARS!!! ;)
The Stg45 was the forerunner to the HK line. :44:
However, there are certain Century builds that you need to avoid!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
However, there are cetain Century builds that you need to avoid!
yeah, thats what i found when i went onto militaryfirearms.com. the rifle my friend bought is a century, but it seems to be a good one. we didnt run into any issues when we shot it, ill give him a call and see if hes shot it anymore.

its identical to this one, except for the goofy looking sling.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=87824183#PIC

·
Registered
178 Posts
For 300 why not. Head space issues with mine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, i just talked to him. i asked him, "so when am i picking up that CETME from you?" he had previously told me that he wasnt selling this one (he said that about the Springfield Loaded Operator, the Remington Rand 1911 of WWII vintage, the M40A1, a fully loaded AR15....the list goes on)

he told me that i should have asked a couple days ago, he said he started feeling guilty about buying it while he was out christmas shopping.

ill have it in a couple weeks. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had one that I bought in 2003 back when they were 295 bucks each with cheap plastic furniture. It was MOA accurate and never jammed, but my bolt gap diminished to out of spec within 200 rounds so I sold it the same year. Evidently century took a grinder to the back of my bolt so even if I switched to bigger rollers it'd still be out of spec.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So he needs to check the head space. It is the same or close to how to do it on a HK91? If so there are links on this website how to check head space. If the bolt has not been ground off then he could change the rollers to fix head space. If the bolt was ground on he could buy another bolt? What would a bolt cost? $300 and it shoots and functions fines seems like a good deal if it can be fix. If it even needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The headspace is checked the same as with an HK91, a feeler gauge from Walmart or Autozone. 4 bucks. I'm not sure if getting a new bolt would have solved my problems, but even if it did I am much happier with my PTR91's fit and finish.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Century doesn't have any QC. Or rather, they use their customers as QC. I got one of their FAL things and had FTF problems. The tip of the bullet was getting caught on the bottom edge of the feed ramp. I called them, got an address, and sent it back. The actually got in there with something and beveled the ramp down lower. It's worked fine ever since I got it back. I think I spent about $350 for the rifle and about $20 to ship it back to them. It's just been in the safe ever since. I got it as a collection piece, not a shooter (needed something FAL looking).

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got one of the very first Cetmes that were built on like new parts kits.Bolt was unground and headspace was at .018 I think.It's never given me any problems.Would I buy another?Hell no,not unless it was one of the very 1st run Cetmes.I've seen too many horror stories the last few years.Mine is in the mid 2 thousands for a serial number and I "think" around the 3 thousand mark is where they ran out of the like new parts kits.Then the nightmares started.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You have the luxury of being able to shoot the gun & check the gap before buying it. Not the same as an internet purchase from across the country. If it shoots well & the parts look OK & the bolt doesn't look ground, then go for it. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had a good one that I bought for $325 and recently sold for $650. Everything about it was a good as could be expected.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Go for it....I bought a great shooter from Aim years ago...I routinely hunt with my cetme and love it! Even if it takes a little work it's still worth it...

·
Registered
552 Posts
I loved mine. Gave it to my friend a few years back, and he never fired it. So I may take it back. Either hoo, it seemed to fire more than one shot when I pulled the trigger, but I think I was "bump" firing by technical means. Other than that, ran great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts