HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Occasional dry fire is fine but if you are going to be doing a lot of dry firing, snap caps are cheap insurance. I use them on all my pistols for dry fire practice. If still in doubt contact HK customer support.

Reactions: Mawashi

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I agree with the thought of a small about of DF won’t hurt but if your going to religiously train with dry fire, get some snap caps!!!! So worth it and easy if mind and on the mechanics of the weapon.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Wouldn't snap caps add more wear not less?
Most snap caps have a spring mechanism in the center of the snap cap to cushion the blow to the firing pin tip. Without a snap cap the firing pin edge (rather than tip) hits something full force behind the breech face. That could be a pin or something else and depending on the design of the pistol some damage could occur over time. I would rather have a device to cushion the tip of the firing pin rather than wondering if any damage is being done where I can not normally see. It is well known that CZ 75 pistols can suffer damage from dry fire. It is only a replaceable pin but still and enough damage to the pin would cause pistol to fail. Some generations of Glocks have been know to have the breech face destroyed from behind by extensive dry firing.

Offhand I am not sure what mechanism is impacted by dry firing a particular HK pistol and I don't use a snap cap if doing a few dry fires but if I am doing a dry fire session which will dozens of dry fires I use a snap cap - cheap insurance and peace of mind. Just dry firing 100 times a week would be 5200 dry fires in a year and 52,000 dry fires in ten years.

·
Banned
145 Posts
You're good dry firing your HK. Most modern pistol's can be dry fired. Ruger recommends a lot of dry firing for their revolver's to help smooth out the action. I ended up changing the firing pin block spring and the trigger return spring in my HK P2000SK LEM to lighten the trigger to about 5.5 lbs. and it made a world of difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts