HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what my new HK purchase will be and I'm almost certain it will be a HK USP compact. However, when I'm shopping around, I found that 9mm variants are less available than their 40 sw counterpart. There are a few USP compact in the local area that have a decent price but they are all in .40 Is it just me or is this actually true? I am a USP compact in 9mm. Even if you look at CDNNsports, they are selling their stainless .40 compact for 750$ and a usp compact in 9mm for 763$.

Trying to pick stainless or not, i have yet to figure out :p

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
The stainless compacts that you saw on CDNN are remaining stock and they're trying to get rid of them from their inventory. Hence the special price.
Almost everywhere online I've been to, the USPc 9mm is priced the same as the .40.

CheaperThanDirt

TopGunSupply

·
Registered
53 Posts
People I have spoken to say they want the .45 for "stopping power" and I bought the 9mm because its cheaper to shoot and my wife can handle it easier. I have seen some very cheap USP .40 on consignment at various local stores and hear people comment if only it were a _____ (.45 or 9mm depending on the person).

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've generally seen the 9mm and .40 right around the same price, with the .45 being $50-$100 higher.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
The .40 takes a beating, you either like it or you don't. Very few in between. As a result, the market is smaller and new stock becomes old stock and old stock is heavily discounted and that is why you are seeing the .40's being sold cheaper. Ask Cross Creek about selling .40 S&W weapons.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm. Im trying to figure if i should pick up a USPc .40 or a USP 9mm. Ive shot the 9mm but never shot the 40sw. At my local gun shop, they have a USPc 40SW with two 12 round mags with night sights for 600. They also have a stainless compact in 40 that came with 2 (10 round mags). I like stainless, but it seems like the USP stainless i looked at had some wear on it. Are those good prices?

And it's very hard in my local area to find a USPc 40SW to try and shoot. Out of 7-8 ranges ive been to there was only one range that had a usp for rental (where i shot the uspc 9mm). I feel like finding a stainless USPc in 9mm is very hard or too expensive....

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
9mm costs less to shoot. in modern self defense loadings 9mm, .40, .45 all are statistically equal. while recoil can be mitigated by training, for most people 9mm and .45 are easier to shoot. it seems like the market is shying away from the .40 as there are no definitive advantages over 9mm as there used to be. as always, shot placement is key.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have noticed on Gunbroker the 9mm USP's seem to be running a little higher in cost than the 40 variants. You guys maybe onto something...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've noticed that if a 9mm USPc variant is available a good price used vs a similarly priced USPc .40, the 9mm would disappeared in seconds (this is excluding brand new guns)

I have a hard time finding USPc 9mm used at a decent price, should i just take the plunge and buy a new one from cdnn for 763$?!! The cheapest i could find locally was 799 (BNIB) and no used ones exist anywhere. If i bought that locally, i would have to pay tax....

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMHO any round that makes a bigger hole has an advantage over a smaller one. I've had the USP-C .40 for years and find it a joy to shoot with little noticeable recoil and no malfunctions. WB ammo for the range is affordable and the dang thing is pie plate accurate from a standing side rest at 50 yards. If you are going to carry something as small as a 9mm, consider a smaller pistol...Rohrbaugh is expensive, but for non-combat personal defense, nearly unequaled and much easier to carry (therefore more likely to be carried?). If you are going to carry a higher caliber (I carry Kimber .45 because it is smaller and lighter than my USP-C which carries a streamlight and is my bedside gun) then the .45 is best, but the .40 not far behind. Agree that for range shooting and fun, the smaller caliber is clearly the way to go. In the end, what suits your hand and eye and allows confident shot placement is the way to go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I`ve shot all 3 -9/40/45 I much prefer the 9mm then the 45...the 40 is just to sharp a recoil...I bought the 9mm for many reasons but the recoil and cost of shooting were the big reasons...The USP is a pleasure to shoot for me and after shooting many 9mm`s there`s none better....I buy quite a few guns and I`ve noticed in the Midwest the 40 cal. is cheaper than the 9mm but not by a large margin. If you intend in shooting much the savings shooting 9mm adds up quick....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
IMHO any round that makes a bigger hole has an advantage over a smaller one. I've had the USP-C .40 for years and find it a joy to shoot with little noticeable recoil and no malfunctions. WB ammo for the range is affordable and the dang thing is pie plate accurate from a standing side rest at 50 yards. If you are going to carry something as small as a 9mm, consider a smaller pistol...Rohrbaugh is expensive, but for non-combat personal defense, nearly unequaled and much easier to carry (therefore more likely to be carried?). If you are going to carry a higher caliber (I carry Kimber .45 because it is smaller and lighter than my USP-C which carries a streamlight and is my bedside gun) then the .45 is best, but the .40 not far behind. Agree that for range shooting and fun, the smaller caliber is clearly the way to go.
In the end, what suits your hand and eye and allows confident shot placement is the way to go.
Backup,

Do you realize you're arguing/presenting two opposing points, but trying to use them as the same?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
I have a hard time finding USPc 9mm used at a decent price, should i just take the plunge and buy a new one from cdnn for 763$?!! The cheapest i could find locally was 799 (BNIB) and no used ones exist anywhere. If i bought that locally, i would have to pay tax....
Keep in mind that many of the HK guns advertised on CDNN are out of stock. The HK45 and HK45c have been out of stock for several months. Same thing with the P30 and P30L they have on there.

TopGunSupply and CheaperThanDirt have the USPc 9mm in stock, ready to ship. You ought to check them out. Don't forget that if you buy online, you don't pay sales tax, but you'll pay transfer fee to your FFL.

TopGunSupply - $759.95 + $18 S/H:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/h-k-usp-compact-9mm-da-sa-standard-sights.html

CTD - $778.26 + $10.99 S/H:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2HKM709031A5-1.html

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Btw, guys, please do not start the caliber war again. I can smell it's coming in this thread.
What, we all know 10mm is a nuclear sidearm caliber and 9mm is for girls, not to mention the .40 Short & Weak. What caliber war, it's been long decided that real men carry .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Don't make me post the picture. I was going to ask where the 5.7 fits into all of this but I'm afraid someone would think I was serious and tell me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts