HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm acquiring a used HK P2000 that's not bad looking but it does have some scuff marks on the slide. Are there any refinishing services out there that can make it look new? If so, who does the work and how much would it cost? I'm not a big fan of chroming out polymer guns so I really don't want to do the NP3 route (as it will end up chrome looking if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong). I want it to be clean black, and as close in look to factory finish as possible like when new. I do however want my barrel to be chromed (but that can come later).

I posted the same thread over at THR and the guys over there suggested, cerakote and robar.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Bruce Gray of Grayguns can refinish in something he calls "HK Black." It will look just like the factory job. Not sure how much it costs, there's a few people on here that have had it done and will be able to comment further.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks TGS, ill look into grayguns because that really sounds like what I want.

@ Eisel, yes, either the polished or chrome look. Kinda like the look of a black 1911 with a polished or chrome barrel. I like the contrast.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Just a word in your ear. NOBODY can make it look like factory new because EVERYONE will refinish it and your contrasting proof marks and date codes and serial number will be lost and all will be the same color as the slide. They do not re-engrave them and if they did, you would loose your finish in those areas and rust would be a possibility. Do not think for a second that anyone will refinish your slide and it will look just like one from the factory. Everyone who looks at it will know, if they have any knowledge of HKs, it is a refinish because of the lack of contrasting proofs... No way around it.
Remember, just because the surface black is worn away in places your HE protection is still there and a worn pistol without refinishing is worth more than a refinished one too if you plan on reselling later on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thanks TGS, ill look into grayguns because that really sounds like what I want.

@ Eisel, yes, either the polished or chrome look. Kinda like the look of a black 1911 with a polished or chrome barrel. I like the contrast.
Ah, OK, I think you could just polish the black off the barrel yourself with some metal polish and a dremmel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a word in your ear. NOBODY can make it look like factory new because EVERYONE will refinish it and your contrasting proof marks and date codes and serial number will be lost and all will be the same color as the slide. They do not re-engrave them and if they did, you would loose your finish in those areas and rust would be a possibility. Do not think for a second that anyone will refinish your slide and it will look just like one from the factory. Everyone who looks at it will know, if they have any knowledge of HKs, it is a refinish because of the lack of contrasting proofs... No way around it.
Remember, just because the surface black is worn away in places your HE protection is still there and a worn pistol without refinishing is worth more than a refinished one too if you plan on reselling later on.
Thanks for that! I'm new to owning guns, never thought of that.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Good info. BB
I never liked refinishing a gun in any condition. It is sort of like trying to dress up an old and faithful wife to look like a young and fresh mistress. Under the light it's obviously fake and it just ain't the original anymore. Know what I mean? If I wanted a new wife, or gun, I'd get one and put the old one up in a closet or sell it...her...uh...anyway...you get the point.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Unless you're entering the pistol in a beauty contest leave the finish alone. "Refinished" automatically drops the resale value in the unlikely event you have to sell it.

Spend the money you save on training, and ammunition. Leave the "factory fresh finish" pistols to the folks who never shoot them.

-- Chuck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts