HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that a lot of people love the PTR 91 over all other clones it seems. I'm thinking this may be my next puchase but would like to hear some feedback from other PTR owners either on the GI or the PDW

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a ptr 91 GI to get my feet wet after handling a true HK91. I dont have anything bad to say about them, price is good, quality is awsome, downside is that they are a gateway way drug to more expensive toys!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that is about as expensive as I could get without getting a teed off wife, but then again it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission right. I have wanted an HK91 since I was about 10, we'll ever since I saw a character by the name of Burt Gummer and the HK91 was his child. I love my AR and my lever gun and my shotgun but i would give them all up for a true HK91

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Is your AR a Colt? Is your lever gun a Winchester 1873? If not it seems you want a type of rifle and not necessarily the exact original and a PTR is right up your alley.

The PTR is pretty much the standard for clones now and they are even advancing the platform (to the consternation of the HK purists) by adding a scope rail that negates the need to buy the $$$ claw mount and changing the muzzle threading to the more device friendly 5/8x24 pattern.

The PTR91GI R is the best value out there right now with its almost $500 of aftermarket goodies (scope rail, paddle mag release and metal lower) already included in the price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No and no but I would love to own the classic. That being said I also love a runner up. I just don't think the AR platform is a good 308 platform in my eyes. I know that they are fantastic none the less. But I have shot the FAL and it was nice but it seems like every one of them I find looKS like it's been buried in the back of a field for the past 3 years. Just had never heard of PTR till I started on this forum recently

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Currently the PTR91 is also the least expensive way to get into the .308 game when the entire package is considered.

Rifle is less then $1K
Mags are $3 each - so 30 mags sets you back less then $100 (that gets you 4 or 5 mags in any other platform)

You can't come close to those prices with any other rifle.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got an HK also but I shoot the PTR. 3.5 in groups using Walmart perfecta ammo are easy with my less than perfect eyes. I don't see much about an original HK which makes it better than a ptr. The German repair depot manual says max dispersion of shots at 100 m is 16 cm or about 6" at 100 yards. My PTR does half that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently the PTR91 is also the least expensive way to get into the .308 game when the entire package is considered.

Rifle is less then $1K
Mags are $3 each - so 30 mags sets you back less then $100 (that gets you 4 or 5 mags in any other platform)

You can't come close to those prices with any other rifle.
Tell me about it my AR runs 7.62x39 and the mags for the switch were 25 a piece. Do they make 30 round mags for it?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Tell me about it my AR runs 7.62x39 and the mags for the switch were 25 a piece. Do they make 30 round mags for it?
Yes but the price on a 30rd mag (not all work either) runs from $35 to $75+ from what I have seen. There is a 50rd drum from X-Products $250 (same as their other models). The 20 rounders are mil-surp many made by HK and work fine. Plus 30rds gets a bit heavy and protrudes pretty far as well and there are basically no mag pouches for them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes but the price on a 30rd mag (not all work either) runs from $35 to $75+ from what I have seen. There is a 50rd drum from X-Products $250 (same as their other models). The 20 rounders are mil-surp many made by HK and work fine. Plus 30rds gets a bit heavy and protrudes pretty far as well and there are basically no mag pouches for them.
10 extra rounds don't mean that much to me just strictly for mag dumps. The weight is also something I didn't consider I know the FAL I shot was heavy with it empty. I have looked at one of the pistol versions but I don't know about a 308 pistol

·
Registered
243 Posts
I plan to buy one of the PTR pistols and SBR it. The only minor complaint I've found about current production PTR products is that some people prefer the metric threading that they used to do.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That about sums it up. What else would you like to know?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The meaning of life if you know it. I think I may try a pistol if I can find one on the cheap. I just couldn't imagine the muzzle blast behind it I'm sure it's a loud little puppy.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts