HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That green plastic housing piece behind the buffer- is it necessary? I read that some don't use the third screw in the back of the buffer but I have no idea what to look at here or where to find a replacement. One of my stocks is missing the housing then the one I ordered from Roberts is broken. I also can't find them anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
I have no idea what part you are talking about. What housing?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The third bolt through the back of the buffer locks the back of the buffer into a cheap plastic housing- which goes into the stock assembly. Is this part necessary? Do you have to have that plastic housing around the buffer? The thing does come out and is made of cheap junk plastic from what I can tell. Apparently it's easily damaged because one buttstock here is missing it altogether and the other has one that is split. I'm just wondering if you have to have it or not.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The third bolt through the back of the buffer locks the back of the buffer into a cheap plastic housing- which goes into the stock assembly. Is this part necessary? Do you have to have that plastic housing around the buffer? The thing does come out and is made of cheap junk plastic from what I can tell. Apparently it's easily damaged because one buttstock here is missing it altogether and the other has one that is split. I'm just wondering if you have to have it or not.

Hk91 buffer housing image by Rotor_ on Photobucket
It is hard to see in your picture, but I know the piece you are referring to; yes they are green and yes they are brittle. I have never seen these for sale and I'm not sure how you would go about removing one or re-installing another since when they are whole, they won't slide past the pin retainers in the stock. The buffer is supported by the metal backplate and as brittle as these are, I don't believe they are intended as a structural support though they act as a sleeve and make the buffer fit tight in the stock. Maybe someone else will chime in. Did you talk to Robert to see if he will allow you to return the broken one?

The ones in my stocks are not as substantial as the one picture below; they are more like a plastic tube with a wedge on the bottom. Mine don't slide out, so I wonder if there is more broken than what you are seeing.

Best,

TC

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is hard to see in your picture, but I know the piece you are referring to; yes they are green and yes they are brittle. I have never seen these for sale and I'm not sure how you would go about removing one or re-installing another since when they are whole, they won't slide past the pin retainers in the stock. The buffer is supported by the metal backplate and as brittle as these are, I don't believe they are intended as a structural support. Maybe someone else will chime in. Did you talk to Robert to see if he will allow you to return the broken one?

Best,

TC

On one of my HK's, someone removed the housing altogether. Then I ordered a stock from Roberts and that housing was split. I think the piece can come out IF you remove the eye bolt things but not sure if it's even needed or what exactly it does.

In the image, it's that "light green" thing that is surrounding the buffer. It's junk whatever it does but I want to be sure the rife won't fall apart without one as the tail of the buffer would be just "floating" in the back.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts
I was never aware there was a separate piece in there. Learn something everyday.
I think you'll have no trouble without it in there. There are a few stocks out there that don't use the screw in the back of the buffer and seem to do fine. Leaving out that rear screw would defeat any benefit the housing may give I think so not using the screw would be like it not being there at all. It will be interesting to see what others have to say about this thing.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
g3schematic

Look at the schematic, there is a piece that goes into the stock in front of bolt assembly parts; washer 49, thing 48, and bolt 47. I think that housing keeps the buffer from flexing but I have no idea what it does- other than break apart like a cheap piece of garbage that it is.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That is more for the stock strength. That bolt is to reenforce the stock attachment. Some stocks it's a separate piece, and some stocks it's molded as part of the stock itself.
The rear bolt of the buffer holds to stock to the metal recoil backing, and gives it added strength. Without it there is just the 2 screws for the buffer to keep the stock on. For normal use the 2 screws should be just fine.
Now if you plan to bash someone's head with the butt of the rifle? Then you should definitely keep the bolt so the stock doesn't come loose. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I don't know if this piece is present on stocks with the heavy buffer. The loose stocks that I have laying around all have this insert and the stock itself has two threaded brass inserts for the two buffer screws that attach through the backplate and into the stock.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't know if this piece is present on stocks with the heavy buffer. The loose stocks that I have laying around all have this insert and the stock itself has two threaded brass inserts for the two buffer screws that attach through the backplate and into the stock.
YES! If the stock was made for the heavy buffer then it would have that piece. My A2 stock with the Heavy buffer has that in it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did we clarify if the buffer housing is necessary or not? If so, it is a major design flaw.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the buffer housing is necessary for the stock's integrity?

I am not sure about keeping the rifles now. Those buffer housings are cheap brittle plastic. The only other thing holding the stock on is those two small screws that go into brass inserts. That isn't very comforting.

·
Registered
416 Posts
No, it's not necessary. PTR doesn't put the piece in any of their stocks. My GI has it in there. I had it in my G3k. Now, I have it in one gun, and not in 3. I can't tell the difference in structural integrity. If its there, great, if it's not, no big deal. Does it add something? Probably not much.

·
Premium Member
2,459 Posts

I am not sure about keeping the rifles now. Those buffer housings are cheap brittle plastic. The only other thing holding the stock on is those two small screws that go into brass inserts. That isn't very comforting.
If it bugs you design and build your own.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Why?? The stocks main job is to keep the rifle from hitting you in the face.
It should only be a big concern if you plan to use your rifle as a pry bar or a lever?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep in mind the stress that is actually applied to this part (I would say non-existent). This sleeve fits snugly in the stock and is supported internally by the buffer housing so there would be no horizontal or vertical movement allowed because of the fit. When the buffer is attached via the two screws to the backplate, there is no fore and aft movement allowed in the buffer housing so it would seem that the screw that goes through the sleeve into the back of the buffer is only there to retain the sleeve and keep it from sliding fore and aft within the stock. It seems that it is only there as a shim because the O.D. of the buffer housing is slightly smaller than the I.D. of the stock recess. This is why I was curious as to whether the O.D. of the heavy buffer housing varies from that of the standard buffer housing.

Best,

TC

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a couple new stock assemblies to make sure I had this housing. I guess it's not needed but someone definitely removed mine from the stock before I bought it. I also upgraded all my buffers to the heavy buffer type along with my A3 collapsible stock.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I bought a dozen stock sets from CTD a couple years ago. Not all the stocks had them. Some did not... interesting observation.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts