HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: I made a mistake in the title. The HK system is actually Roller-Delayed Blowback, Roller-Locked is a different type

I was reading an article on the development of the HK action, and the author says that the RD system was the best yet designed for handling recoil in small arms, but that HK stopped new development for price reasons (I guess it's more expensive to engineer/building than comparable systems), so that future weapons (starting with the G36) would be more affordable. Is this true?

I've shot a number of semi AR-15s and even an MR556 once, but never any select fire ones, and never even handled any G3s or variants. So, frame ergonomic preferences aside, does the AR platform (piston or DI) have any advantages to the G3 type in:
-Recoil/Climb reduction
- Mechanical reliability
- Resistance to harsh environments (dirt/mud/salt/temperature)
- Sustained fire
For the sake of comparison, assume that both types are engineered/built to HK quality.

Esssentially how would a 416 stand up to a fully modernized G3 type?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I LOVE the roller locks, and would probably prefer one just f'ing because.

That said, you're not going to get a rifle caliber roller lock gun to suppress without a handful of locking pieces.

If suppressors didn't matter, I would take a roller lock over a direct impingement AR, but not over a 416.

A piston system is really the most robust, maintainable and flexible system there is. It's why HK and others like FN, etc. went to guns like the G36, 416 , SCAR, etc.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
The roller locked (Roller-Delayed Blowback ) rifle handles full auto .308 fire better than a rotating bolt . With the fluted chamber and the roller locking system case obturation is much less of a problem in that caliber .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts