HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would hope it is. Usually a longer barrel = better accuracy. The 91 isn't a tack driver, but it will accomplish what it was designed for. IMO

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I would hope it is. Usually a longer barrel = better accuracy. The 91 isn't a tack driver, but it will accomplish what it was designed for. IMO
Not necessarily.... A bigger contributing factor to accuracy is the thickness of the barrel. (or stiffness)

Some bolt action rifles actually shoot more accuratly (but less velocity) with a shorter barrel. I guess its to do with the vibration.

BUT If i remember correctly, the SR9 has a heavy profile barrel, which would contribute to its accuracy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
nope it's a fake slide on sleev.to look heaver..it's still the same old bbl (the one i had that all it was)

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
The 911 barrels were the ones that came with a fake sleeve that gave the appearance of a heavy barrel. I have had 3 SR9's and several SR9 spare barrels and they were all heavy profile. However, while there is some more meat between the chamber and the front sight, the real difference is from the front front sight forward.
The benefit of of the SR9 barrel is the polygonal rifling and faster 1 in 11 twist versus a 1 in 12 and conventional rifling of the 91/G3 barrel.

Hk designed the SR9 with 168 grain ammo in mind. The HK 91/G3 was intended to use 147 gain NATO ammo. That is the reason why some get great accuracy in their 91s with cheap Federal 147 grain stuff, and they are not please with the 168 grain match ammo.

I had Urbach take an SR9 barrel and thread the end some years ago for a PSG1-K project I was playing around with. I ended up using a real PSG1 barrel. In any case, here are a couple of pics of the barrel that illustrate what I am describing.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Here is an update from a post I made on the old forum. These are both HK factory German barrels. The first pic the bore end. A 91 barrel on the left and an SR9 on the right.

The next pic is chamber end. Again, the 91 is on the left and SR9 on the right.

Hope this helps to show at least some differences between both units.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Was an informal "poll" a few years ago and from the replies it appears that there is a split between SR9x's that are similar in accuracy to a nice HK91 (one to two inches at 100 yards) and ones that were a little more accurate (i.e. less than an inch at 100 yards) and one or two that were reported to always grouped a tiny fraction (well under a half) ......

There was limited information on if these were 3 or 5 rounds groups, average vs. "the best groups I have on good days and drop the large groups as I must have pulled" and/or what type of accessories were used (i.e. PSG or Williams triggers).

·
Registered
266 Posts
yes the one i traded off had a sleev.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts