HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been discussed already but I could not find it with a search.

I am somewhat new to HK-mania and am wondering if the P-series & new HK45 replace the USP line or will the USPs continue on also?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not that I have heard. I think a rumor went around for a little bit that the P2000 line was going to be dicontinued, But it was just a rumor. HK has stoped production on a few guns in the USP line like the Match and a few others, but as a whole the USP isn't going anywhere.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not that I have heard. I think a rumor went around for a little bit that the P2000 line was going to be dicontinued, But it was just a rumor. HK has stoped production on a few guns in the USP line like the Match and a few others, but as a whole the USP isn't going anywhere.
+1

I can't see HK stopping such a successful line just because they've came out with an upgrade. Maybe in the distant future we'll see the USP phased out, but not anytime soon.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I don't see it going anyplace anytime soon. Lots of people still like them and purchase them

·
Registered
311 Posts
IF, people keep buying them, HK will supply them. However, if sales drop off enough, I'm sure they will be eliminated.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well I have a little different opinion about this then the other posters. In my opinion the USP is on its way out. I would guess in the next 2 years. The HK45 owners manual talks about how the HK45 is an updated USP and is built on many of the proven USP platforms but how it has updated and improved on the USP legacy. They already show the HK45 tactical and compact models in the owners manual. I feel that once the HK45 product line becomes a little more deep in its model offerings the USP will be discontinued. Big reason is the sales of the USP will drop off a lot if they haven't already with the introduction of the HK45 and P30. You have to remember they are a manufacture so if sales fall it will cost to much to build the USP line that is selling slow. They are going to continue to grow the HK45and P30 line and thats where their money will be invested, not in the USP line. You many see limited numbers of USP's like Experts or such being built kind of like they do for the MK23 etc.

I think the P2000 line will be around for a little big longer, maybe 5 years. The P30 really is a next step to the P2000 and I could not see any reason for the US market that they will continue the P2000 line much longer then 5 years, could be a lot shorter in the US. You again might see some limited numbers coming into this country but probably not.

A final thing people are not talking about is the new HK45 starting sometime next year is going to be a US made pistol, no longer a German import. It is a good chance they will do this with the P30 as well. Big reason this is important is because of the dollars value in Europe. Once US production starts it is going to keep the price of HK's competitive. This is going to be a very similar situation to what happened with the Sig line. You might see some here and there German made guns come into this country for limited run models but the main staples will be built in the US. Who would pay 20-40% more for a USP over a HK45 or P30 series pistol that is more modern with up to date features as compared to the USP.

Just my opinion but HK has never had 30 different guns in their line like a company like Smith and Wesson or others will do. HK will never try to be everything to everyone like some gun makers do.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I believe HK has a production agreement on the P8 for the German military which extends out quite a ways. Similar to Mercedes/Puch agreeing to produce the G-Wagen or "Wolf" until 2023 for the Bundeswehr. I dont see the new pistols as being any great deviation on the basic USP type design, unlike say the G36 or UMP versus the older roller rifles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It's still hard for me to see a gun that holds two LESS rounds than USP to be an improvement. Not to mention the elimination of the dual action recoil rod. I felt that the USP was already at a slight disadvantage as competitors (Glock, Springfield Armory) who offer duty pistols with a 13 round capacity in 45. Round capacity can be a determining factor as to who lives and dies in a gun fight. Although the first accurate shot will always win. I will stick with my USP. The grip works fine in my hands.

All I'm saying is I would have hoped that the HK 45 would have featured a 13 round capacity like the inferior competitors.
Well I do agree with you on wishing it had the 13 or even 12 round capacity mags. Maybe they will come out with a jet funnell type mag in the near future. I do like my new HK45 and see many improvements over the USP line but my Experts will remain my main competition guns for a very long time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think there are still a fair number of people out there that prefer their HKs have safeties on them, not just decockers. I would think the USP line will continue for quite awhile based on that reason alone. From what I'm seeing the P30 only has a decocker, not a safety.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Even if it's on its way out I still think USP is a great gun to have. I just recently purchased a USP and I am very satisfied with my purchase. It has not once crossed my mind that I should have gotten a HK45 or P30 over the USP.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hope it doesn't go anywhere...I actually prefer my USP compact 9mm to my P30. I can shoot it faster and more accurately. For some reason the P30 feels amazing in the hand but to me doesn't lend well to fast shooting. Hard to explain but when I shoot my USPc the sights snap back on target after every shot, with the P30 I have to make more of a conscious effort to align the sights with the target. That and the USP has a shorter reset.

I'm most likely the odd one out in comparing these two guns. If I has to only keep one it would be my USPc 9mm.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Maybe after they see what lies ahead for them in the P30 and HK45 markets...The manual does talk about the tactical, but that could still be up for grabs if they (Hk) don't feel that the line is going anywhere.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's still hard for me to see a gun that holds two LESS rounds than USP to be an improvement. Not to mention the elimination of the dual action recoil rod. I felt that the USP was already at a slight disadvantage as competitors (Glock, Springfield Armory) who offer duty pistols with a 13 round capacity in 45. Round capacity can be a determining factor as to who lives and dies in a gun fight. Although the first accurate shot will always win. I will stick with my USP. The grip works fine in my hands.

All I'm saying is I would have hoped that the HK 45 would have featured a 13 round capacity like the inferior competitors.
Dunno, I never feel outgunned when I'm armed with my 1911 and that has 8rd magazines. Ammo capacity can be a factor in a tactical situation, but it's not at the top of the list.

The HK45 improves on the USP45 in many ways. Just shoot one. I'm switching to the HK45 as a duty weapon, and the loss of two rounds is the last thing I'm concerned with.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think there are still a fair number of people out there that prefer their HKs have safeties on them, not just decockers. I would think the USP line will continue for quite awhile based on that reason alone. From what I'm seeing the P30 only has a decocker, not a safety.
Count me in that group. The inability to carry it in condition one is why I won't consider the P30, even though I know it's a hell of a pistol.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I think as the HK45 line deepens, the USP will be slowly phased out or made in limited quantity to satisfy the existing USP style contracts until they expire

·
Registered
173 Posts
part of what makes the usp line so good imo are the all the variant choices, for the hk45/p30 to overthrow the usp as hk's top selling pistol there needs to be more versions available. i think when we start seeing high cap hk45s and six or so variants of the p30 not to mention a 40 cal new gen pistol we can start thinking about the usp going somewhare..........just my two cents

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think the USP will last as long as German Army uses the P8, which is probably for next 20 years. The P2000 is used by Germany police, so both models will continue to get support. In terms commercial sales however, I think both will subside in favor of P30.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts