HKPRO Forums banner

Is the Vector MP5 .40 the best clone?

14K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  mefly2 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I'm from the communist republic of cali that is very anti-gun. This is my first post here so go easy. Anyways, I'm backordered on a Vector Arms MP5 .40 clone that i'm gonna build a special stock that eliminates the void between the PG and stock so I can have detachable magazines. I was wondering if this was the best choice for a clone MP5? From reading the forums it seems like this is the best clone. I searched the site and its kind of hard to find detailed reviews. I was wondering if this gun was reliable, ect.. I'm only going to be plinking with it but i'd definitely appreciate a reliable firearm. Just tell me anything you know. First hand experience is most appreciated.

Additional pictures of the rifle would be awesome. I've only been able to see the one ok quality pic vector has on it's site. It appears these rifles have a bolt catch mechanism???

It sound like all i'll really need is a metal lipped magazine from reading past threads. Though, when i eventually receive the rifle I may file the magwell a little to prevent damage to magazines.

#3 · (Edited)
Vector makes excellent clone firearms and stands behind their product. As for therm sending your FFL a MP5 clone that you can modify to be commiefornia compliant, I don't believe that will go. Those kind of "evil" firearms need to be commiefornia compliant when they send it. I seriously doubt that Vector will even think about sending a MP5 to there.

But, it never hurts to call them and find out, or if they can modify one for you.

#4 ·
Isn't there more to it than just adding a stock like what you describe? Doesn't the PRK require some sort of weapon certification and this one is no longer on it? Also, I thought you couldn't have any new guns in the wonderful PRK that would take removable mags of this type... as in all the new ARs and the like have to have top loading non-removable mags.

Just a few things that I don't know for sure, as I live in the free world of TX, but you might want to check into.

Edit: Oops, UncleBilly beat me to it. That's what happens when you get into a conversation while you're typing a response... and take too long.

#9 · (Edited)
lol. You guys just don't understand the off-list rifle situation in cali. You can pretty much have anything you want as long as its not on the banned list and meets the requirements set forth by the penal codes. Most of the laws can be easily circumvented by pinning the magazine for a "top loading" rifle. Vector arms was willing to ship me the trigger group/pistol grip assembly and ship the rest of the rifle to my FFL. This is completely legal. Once I had the parts i must either hack saw off the pistol grip, or, build a custom stock that eliminates the void between the pistol grip and stock. This way I can have a detachable 10 round magazine that vector would make for me. However, I'm cancelling my vector order so it won't matter. I decided on a pinned magazine 9mm AR build. Very few people have clone HK stuff in cali because they are somewhat difficult to aquire. ARs or AKs are easily aquired because most people build them. There are many pinned mag HK 91 clones for sale in cali. I'm just not interested in the cost of .308 ammo

#10 ·
If I were limited to top loading and only 10 rounds... I'd get nothing smaller than the .308. I've always found the main advantage of 9mm and .223 (in FA or SA) was the stability it gave for rapid fire. If I only have 10 rounds, I'd want each one of those bullets to stop a whole target (something big). If you double tap each target, you only get to stop five with a 9mm or .223.

;)

#11 ·
I'm with you solidsnake87. I'm a resident of the wonderful republic also and have been hunting down a HK MP5 build. To date, I've come up empty handed. I have a PTR91 and love it. Next on the list was a MP5 but that has been going on for the past 5 months with no results. I'll PM you if I find one or someone that is willing to help the good lovin' gun people of the republic. From what I know, all Vector MP5 projects are on hold. Good luck, and keep me posted.

#12 ·
I'm just gonna wait until the professional arms MP5 clone comes out next summer. It will cost $2200 but at least its guaranteed to meet or exceed HK quality. They've been doing hardcore tests on it to make sure its ideal for military/police before releasing to the public. I figure $2200 is a small price to pay if you have nothing to deal with but poor quality clones that seem to require an investment of HK parts in order to function properly. For now, i'm just gonna build a 9mm AR and call it a day.

...and to the guy making comments about top loading. If I wanted a gun for home defense to drop something I'd not use a pinned mag rifle. I'd rather use my 12 guage.

#13 ·
I'm just gonna wait until the professional arms MP5 clone comes out next summer. It will cost $2200 but at least its guaranteed to meet or exceed HK quality. They've been doing hardcore tests on it to make sure its ideal for military/police before releasing to the public. I figure $2200 is a small price to pay if you have nothing to deal with but poor quality clones that seem to require an investment of HK parts in order to function properly. For now, i'm just gonna build a 9mm AR and call it a day.

...and to the guy making comments about top loading. If I wanted a gun for home defense to drop something I'd not use a pinned mag rifle. I'd rather use my 12 guage.
If you're talking to me, I'm not talking about home defense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.