HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to make the HK UMP stock non folding? Maybe put something under the stock release to keep the button from functioning then putting the stock on and putting the stock pin in?

I don't want to register my HK USC/UMP conversion as a pistol and I'll never use the folding stock anyway with the 16 inch barrel.

Yes, in my state the USC/UMP conversion has to be registered as a pistol.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,890 Posts
Michigan law says that any firearm fully operable when folded or contracted with a length of 30 inches or less is a pistol. Sad, but true.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ok that makes a whole lot of no sense, I've bought an MP5 clone with an A3 stock and a Hk94 A3 from two seperate dealers as rifles? LOL Something is up ;)

If thats true I should be able to put my 8" barrel on too yet it would be an SBR!?!? WTF I smell loophole hehe! :D

To answer your question yes there is, I'm betting simply epoxy the spring loaded section into place and you'd be ok and still be able to get the stock off if needbe.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Let me clarify that for you.

The law actually reads any rifle that is under 30 inches in length with a 16 inch barrel but is also OVER 26 inches in length must be registered as a pistol.

The HK USC/UMP conversion with a 16 inch barrel, HDPS Stock Block "B" and HK UMP side folding stock is 26 3/4 inches folded.

No loopholes my friend. You put a barrel on that is under 16 inches and you have created an illegal SBR in the great state of Michigan.

Also, any gun under 26 inches, even if the barrel is 16 inches or longer and with a stock is considered a SBR.

For example, the UZI 16 inch barrel folder. It's like 25 inches, considered an SBR and illegal as **** in Michigan. The only way to have one is to have the folding stock permanently pinned and welded open.

Oh and even though the HK USC/UMP is registered as a pistol in Michigan, its STILL a rifle. Once a rifle, always a rifle. You can't remove the stock and put on an 7.87 inch UMP barrel and say, ok this is legal, its registered as a pistol.

Thats why I want the Top Notch UMP upper receiver. All of them will be sold as pistols. You can have it as a pistol with a 7.87inch barrel and no stock but it's also legal to put a 16 inch barrel and stock on it too. Please note if you put a stock on it, it still must have the 16 inch barrel in Michigan as we are not an SBR friendly state.

I really don't need a folding stock. Hence why I want to make it reasonably non-foldable. That way I don't have to explain to the police that my NAVY lower is just for looks and that its not full auto.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The way that the Top Notch fixed UMP style stocks were fixed was by a .45ACP shell casing off the top of my head. First you take out the hinge roll-pin and remove the stock from the block. Then remove the button from the stock. Replace the spring under the button with an appropriate sized piece of metal tubing or a .45ACP shell casing if it will fit and snap the button back into the stock. The button should now not move in or mve only a little. You will now have to slide the stock into the block and line up the hinge halves since the button will not move. Reinstall the roll-pin and you will have a stock that will not fold, only be able to be taken apart.

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah thats what Ed from HDPS.org just basically told me via email. Sounds like that would be well enough with in reason to make it not count as a side folder anymore.

I mean you would have to remove the roll pin to take parts out to make it a side folder again. I cant imagine the police here in Michigan hassling you for that.

I think I will just do that for now and wait til later to register it as a pistol.

I dont care about the side folder now because there is no way to latch the stock folded over anyway. Maybe once Ed at HDPS.org finishes his catch I'll install that then register it as a pistol to I can actually lock the side folding stock folded.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, that MCL is a bunch of crap isn't it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is what I did...cut .223 spent shell and installed inside the folding mechanism. With 9mm case there is little movment but when you cut the .223 to size you should be all set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts