HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious if there was some kind of video, story, or even an offical hk test, where they put the p7 to the ultimate tests.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The only things I know of specific to the P7 was dropping it from 20 feet or so and then firing it, and driving over a loaded magazine and then loading a P7 and firing it.

I don't think anyone would expect the P7 to do well in torture testing, high-round count testing especially. It was designed specifically for hostage rescue as mandated by the Germans due to their failed Munich Olympics hostage rescue. As far as I can tell, it's not designed to be a service pistol for the field and extreme conditions. If the P7 were an edged blade, it'd be a scalpel with a very fine, perishable edge made for a single specific task whereas the USP and P-Series are an OKC-3S fighting knife in comparison, made for smashing skulls, disemboweling the enemy, and opening C-Rat tins.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
In this old promotional video made by HK for the P7 pistols, the pistol was loaded with a primed case and dropped from a height of 20ft. with the cocking lever taped in the depressed position. This was to prove the pistol was still drop safe even with the cocking lever depressed. Other "tests" included dropping a cinder block onto a magazine as well as firing a P7M8 without an extractor.

HK P7 series promo.mpg

I however do agree that the P7 isn't going to win any long term high round count endurance test with lack of cleaning/lubrication, or any test in adverse conditions, against HK's more modern polymer framed service pistols.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
It gets hot too quick to match other pistols, IMO. Granted Ive only shot a P7 once, about 50-60 RDS once. But man it was already hot.

My P30 / HK45 / P2000SK can crank through a couple hundred and still be shootable (heat wise).

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Many torture tests we hear about include high-round count tests... I wonder how many rounds the P7 could go between cleanings (considering decent ammo?) I've heard of P2000's and USP's going thousands upon thousands of rounds between cleaning, but I would think the P7 series gas cylinder and piston would eventually start to get tight before that.

I've never gone more than a few hundred rounds between cleaning the gas cylinder in my P7, and it always shows quite a bit of crud when cleaning it out.

·
Registered
618 Posts
TGS I love the way you describe the P7. A scalpel? Now that is funny and point made. Your absolutely right I do have to agree with you. It was designed for a specific use and not for what a military needs. I have to say for swat and hostage rescue it would do the job but to sit there in the sand and keep pumping out bullets? Nah. It is very accurate and to place a shot where you want it then you have the right weapon. I shot mine yesterday and I tried some federal 147 gr. ammo. It worked fine for 18 rounds then it actually failed to feed. I put some more rounds and again ftf. I do have to make a point that the groups were tight. I know this has been discussed in this forum and several members advise against this. I wasn't trying to disprove any one but wanted to see what type of alibi it would cause on the firing line. By no means has this made me anti P7. I still say for me it still is my carry piece.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have to say for swat and hostage rescue it would do the job but to sit there in the sand and keep pumping out bullets? Nah.
Exactly. It's a magnificent pistol for what it was designed for: A split second wall-painting of gray matter from a jihadist or commie pinko bastard with hostages being held as human shields.

By no means has this made me anti P7. I still say for me it still is my carry piece.
Right......it has it's place, but it also has it's limitations. If the M13 grip wasn't a monstrosity, I think I'd spend the money for 3 and use them for carry/training. Absolutely magnificent pistols to shoot quickly and accurately....None of the custom 1911's or SIG P210 I've fired compares to the sheer "shootability" of the P7. Man, did the Germans get that smoke-wagon right....

Many torture tests we hear about include high-round count tests... I wonder how many rounds the P7 could go between cleanings (considering decent ammo?) I've heard of P2000's and USP's going thousands upon thousands of rounds between cleaning, but I would think the P7 series gas cylinder and piston would eventually start to get tight before that.

I've never gone more than a few hundred rounds between cleaning the gas cylinder in my P7, and it always shows quite a bit of crud when cleaning it out.
Even with Speer Lawman TMJ, my P7 wouldn't go for more than 500 rounds before it became near impossible to rack the slide when cooled off. When warm I could still rack it, and it never suffered during the firing cycle due to the strong recoil impulse and recoil spring.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,414 Posts
I checked one out of the armory last year along with a 416 for a week long shooting package of pistol and rifle. Shot well over 1200 rounds of 9mm that week. Though I did not clean the 416, I did the P7M8 each day. Not one malfunction, though it did get really hot during several drills. I just removed the slide while reloading mags. That and wearing gloves kept it manageable. It has its quirks, but without question, I shoot better with a P7M8/13 than any other gun. That's why I own so many.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
im curious if there was some kind of video, story, or even an offical hk test, where they put the p7 to the ultimate tests.
In 1986/87 when the first "nosing up" stoppages were reported with the P7's with the NJ State Police, HK fired more than 20,000 rounds through various P7's to prove out the new gas pistons, P7M8 magazines, etc. The guns were cooled with compresed air. I do not recall any failures of any parts during that testing and no stoppages charged to the weapon or magazine. As I recall the guns were cooled, cleaned and lubed every 250 rounds. While not a torture test it is an indication of the guns reliability and durability with moderate care during extended shooting scenarios.

As reported here before the Dept of Energy sites in ID used hundreds of P7M13's for many years and had over 60,000 rounds documented on the original barrels, slides and frames before they replaced barrels and small parts as part of scheduled maintenance.

G3Kurz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts