HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 5-11 180 and starting to wish I bought the HK45c. Any Ideas? The more I read my post the dumber I feel. Its a big gun and a lot of money. Maybe I should take it back for an Armlite AR since I have a Kimber Ultra Carry 2.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's all about how you dress and the holster setup you use. I know if I can carry a Para P13 ccw on my little 5'8", 145 lb. frame without it printing constantly I'm sure you can do the same with the HK45.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I carry mine concealed, but only with a jacket on. But a good part of this is due to a good concealable holster being available.. I am using the Blackhawk Serpa CQ....whatever for the P30, since no one else really offers a holster for the HK45 yet.... I am quite certain I will be able to conceal the HK45 once there is some decent leather available for it.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I traded my USP 45compact in tonight on the HK45 and don't think it was a huge trade off for CCW.
Barrel is only half inch longer, and grip is a little longer, but much slimmer.
Weight was roughly the same.
Not sure it would be my first choice in July/August a good IWB holster will make it conceal well.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Not a big problem in the winter.
Gives you time to catch up for next summer >>> start eating and be round the rest of us! :)

No, of cause not!
Of cause in FL it's harder then like here in Maine, while it does get in the 90's here in the summer.
1. If you have a CCW, if you carry it under a T/Polo-shirt, only a LEO can ask you what it is. Unless it is too obius, a LEO can't say too much about it.
Other people you tell it's your cellphone/PDA! Most people want to belive this in the first place.
2. People are a lot less susspecting then you think!
3. Make sure to carry only where it's legal for you!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I hide mine without a problem,and I'm 5'8 165#.

As has been said, it's about modifying your wardrobe and finding good leather. Like LCSO, I'm using the Serpa holster (for now). If we all gang up on some manufacturers....can anyone say Comp-Tac CTAC???... we'll start seeing some quality gear sooner rather than later.

Your other option is to get something custom made. It may be a bit more money, but worth it in the end.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
If you know what you're doing you can conceal a Mk23. HKfreak is correct, its all about how you dress and holster you use.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i like to use sports jerseys. the non-mesh warm-up style ones. works great. one word of caution, watch out for the night sights showing through in the dark....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'm using a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 but I jut got the HK45 a few days ago and cant find anything to holster it and its a bit big. I broke her in yesterday 500 rounds no hiccup 25yard shots decent groups not the best but better then I could have with the Kimber. Keep the info another thing how the hell do i get the extra grip on.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Clear the pistol, punch out the roll pin near the lanyard loop and slide the backstrap down and off the grip. Install the new one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah I'm using a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 but I jut got the HK45 a few days ago and cant find anything to holster it and its a bit big. I broke her in yesterday 500 rounds no hiccup 25yard shots decent groups not the best but better then I could have with the Kimber. Keep the info another thing how the hell do i get the extra grip on.
That's still a big pistol to be concealing. You can do it but probably under a large winter coat. I would worry a lot about printing something that big. I packed a PO P13 for about a year but the weight and size made me change. Do realize that on the rare occasion you get tangled in a shootout, you will probably have to surrender that nice HK for the investigation. Admittedly rare but you'll only get it back when it's all over. Another consideration is that bigger pistols for me have more of a tendency to hangup on winter clothing than smaller and dehorned pistols. Stay safe...

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a Kramer IWB for a full size USP in 45 that accepts the new HK45 that plan to use for now. Hopefully the Compact will be out in April and I can go to it for the warmer weather.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do realize that on the rare occasion you get tangled in a shootout, you will probably have to surrender that nice HK for the investigation. Admittedly rare but you'll only get it back when it's all over.
It's not probable that the weapon will be seized (not surrendered), it's a certainty in a shooting.

However, I'm sure we all agree that we buy our pistols, HK and otherwise, with an eye to using them defensively. I personally will not be bothered one bit if I shoot someone with my Wilson Combat 1911 and it sits in the care of the PPD Firearms Identification Unit until I'm cleared. I bought the dang thing for performance in a life or death situation. So, seeing as I feel my life is worth the $2K-plus I've got in the gun, I view it as an investment in my personal well-being. I will simply be ecstatic that everything went well and I'm alive to order another gun.

I post this only because I've heard many people say they prefer to carry a brand X gun (typically cheaper, of lower quality, and a marginal performer at best) instead of another higher quality pistol because of the evidence issue.

I don't think it should be a consideration, but that's just me.

Back to how to carry the HK45, I really am a fan of the CTAC from Comp-Tac if concealment is important to you. It really does make even big pistols disappear.

Of course, successfully concealing any fighting handgun requires that you think about your wardrobe and possibly make some changes. For example, many people who prefer IWB carry buy the next larger size trousers. In my case, I drove my tailor crazy making specific alterations to my suits.

The moral is that large pistols can be concealed and comfortably carried in all weather conditions as long as you're willing to devote some thought and planning to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts