HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done searches and research and thought I finally had things straight between the Custom Combat and the Combat Competition. My understanding was that the Combat Competition could easily be recognized having a Match/LEM hybrid trigger, an overtravel screw in the trigger and no safety/decock lever. The HK Box Label in one of the photos for this GB Combat Competition auction reads "COMBAT COMP" but it has no overtravel screw and is a V1 with safety/decock lever. Was I mistaken? If not, why does the label read as such? I've also inserted a photo with a labels from ads for a Combat Competition (left) and a Custom Combat (right). The manufacturer numbers are pretty similar and seem like they both tie to a Custom Combat. My gut tells me this is a Custom Combat but the label is misleading and the ad is titled incorrectly.

Also, are these part numbers correct?
Combat Competition M709001CC
Custom Combat M704001CC (possibly with or without an "A5")

Thanks in advance for any help understanding and clarification.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=157420473

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm not an expert on this but I believe this is a Custom Combat pistol. They did make older Combat Competition pistol in V1 but I still believe they had the match triggers in them.

I believe the abbreviation COMP means "compliant". If you PM big bore these questions and part numbers I'm sure he'll know the answer to this question.

·
Registered
121 Posts
HK-USA introduced the Combat Competition about 3 years ago in two versions.
Version #1 was V1 WITHOUT the Match, LEM, OR Hybrid trigger
Version #2 came with the hybrid trigger (a combination of LEM and Match trigger parts)
There was a $100 higher list price for Version #2.

This created tons of confusuion so last year they renamed Version #1 above, the Custom Combat.
Version #2 then became the only Combat Competition.

SO, you need to know the year it was produced. If it has the V1 decocker and it is a Combat Comp on the HK box- it is from that first year of confusion. It did not come with a Match or hybrid trigger. It it has one someone ordered it custom or sent it to HK-USA for the trigger conversion OR had it done themselves.

The last point that confuses the buyers. In about 2003 or 2004 HK-USA put a run of guns exclusivley through CDNN called Custom Combats- The came in only Tan or OD Green frames with the sandpaper grips.

Confusing but I purchased each of these varients from the one through CDNN to this years. I spoke with HK-USA Customer Service as these were introduced to keep them straight.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
here is the sticker from my box:

model M709007CC, usp combat competition 9mm, AH date code, hybrid LEM

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I was going to write a lengthy reply, but coto20 already did that for me. :)

My "Combat Comp." is also a standard V1.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies and info. Good information to have for sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The label on the left is from before the confusion was "fixed". The label on the right is post confusion as it has -A5 after the CC. But you can still tell if it was a Custom Combat or a Combat Competition by the letters and numbers preceding the CC* or CC-A5. Both Custom Combats and Combat Competitions will have the CC as the initials are the same for both.

M709001CC-A5 = USP 9MM Custom Combat
M709007CC-A5 = USP 9MM Combat Competition

M704001CC-A5 = USP .40 Custom Combat
M704007CC-A5 = USP .40 Combat Competition

M709 = 9mm
M704 = .40
001CC = Custom Combat
007CC = Combat Competition
CC* = before "fix"
CC-A5 =after "fix

The label shown by majette is from the confusion era, no -A5, but reads as a 9mm Combat Competition (M709007CC*) the 007 being the giveaway. So back to the original question at the top, both labels are for Custom Combats in .40 not Combat Competitions, the 001 being the giveaway. Although it is possible that the label with "Combat Comp" being before the fix (CC*) was labeled correctly and therefore in the beginning both options were called Combat Competitions. Either way, if it is a V1, and reads "001CC" I consider it a custom combat. Hope this helps. Now I'm confused again.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
These are the best explanations that I've ever heard concerning these two HK kissing cousins. Better, in fact, than what HK CS told me. Thanks very much!

HKSM704001CCA5 - So this is a "new" Custom Combat in 40, correct?

HKRM704007CCA5 - And this is the cousin, a "new" Combat Competition in 40SW? Any idea what the SM vs RM means?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bender, was the SM and RM on the label or was that a mfg# listed on a dealers site or somewhere else? I have never seen either before. Either way, you are correct on both questions above. . I can find new Combat Competitions in 40 but cant find new in 9, so I just bought a new USP 9 V1, and am going to start the build. It will end up costing me a bit more, but will end up being the same thing (except the sticker on the box)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The SM and RM were on a description for these two guns at SportingArms.com, they were NOT on a manufacture label. These folks normally have many hard to find guns at very good prices, I bought a couple 1911s from them and they treated me real well.

I was lucky enough to find a Combat Comp in 9mm, and now am on the hunt for another one in 40SW. Saw one used, but the guy selling it was the third owner, he really could only guess as to the round count, he had no feedback, and he was asking only $50 less than what I found new ones for. So I passed and decided to just keep looking around. What's the best price you've found on a new Combat Comp in 40SW? Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ALLHK,
Thanks for the detail on the explanation and the numbers. That makes things very clear and will be used during my hunt for a M709007CC!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great job providing content!!! While I had an acceptable understanding you were the first to tie the models to the HK-USA Serial Numbers! Great job. If no one can dispute this info I hope the mods make this a sticky!!! There have been more questions reguarding the Custom/Combat Comps that all other models combined over the last few years!

The label on the left is from before the confusion was "fixed". The label on the right is post confusion as it has -A5 after the CC. But you can still tell if it was a Custom Combat or a Combat Competition by the letters and numbers preceding the CC* or CC-A5. Both Custom Combats and Combat Competitions will have the CC as the initials are the same for both.

M709001CC-A5 = USP 9MM Custom Combat
M709007CC-A5 = USP 9MM Combat Competition

M704001CC-A5 = USP .40 Custom Combat
M704007CC-A5 = USP .40 Combat Competition

M709 = 9mm
M704 = .40
001CC = Custom Combat
007CC = Combat Competition
CC* = before "fix"
CC-A5 =after "fix

The label shown by majette is from the confusion era, no -A5, but reads as a 9mm Combat Competition (M709007CC*) the 007 being the giveaway. So back to the original question at the top, both labels are for Custom Combats in .40 not Combat Competitions, the 001 being the giveaway. Although it is possible that the label with "Combat Comp" being before the fix (CC*) was labeled correctly and therefore in the beginning both options were called Combat Competitions. Either way, if it is a V1, and reads "001CC" I consider it a custom combat. Hope this helps. Now I'm confused again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That was my first post on HKPRO , I should have mentioned that I'm not stating any of my information as fact, this is merely the conclusion I came to, trying to figure it out for myself since I could not find a clear answer anywhere on the web.

Bender, the cheapest I have found the 40 Combat Competition is at Buds Guns....$1070.00 delivered. I have never done any business with them, but I do browse their site often. They were listed as available a day or two ago, but no longer.

·
Registered
186 Posts
HK-USA introduced the Combat Competition about 3 years ago in two versions.
Version #1 was V1 WITHOUT the Match, LEM, OR Hybrid trigger
Version #2 came with the hybrid trigger (a combination of LEM and Match trigger parts)
There was a $100 higher list price for Version #2.

This created tons of confusuion so last year they renamed Version #1 above, the Custom Combat.
Version #2 then became the only Combat Competition.

SO, you need to know the year it was produced. If it has the V1 decocker and it is a Combat Comp on the HK box- it is from that first year of confusion. It did not come with a Match or hybrid trigger. It it has one someone ordered it custom or sent it to HK-USA for the trigger conversion OR had it done themselves.

The last point that confuses the buyers. In about 2003 or 2004 HK-USA put a run of guns exclusivley through CDNN called Custom Combats- The came in only Tan or OD Green frames with the sandpaper grips.

Confusing but I purchased each of these varients from the one through CDNN to this years. I spoke with HK-USA Customer Service as these were introduced to keep them straight.
Thanks for the great info here! Strictly from a frame perspective, were the CDNN Custom Combats any different than a standard tan USP besides the sandpaper grips? Did the CDNN gun's grips have a recessed panel or anything for better fitment of the sandpaper grips? I really like the look of the tan USP 9/40 with black sandpaper grips and a jetfunnel magwell. I may just pick up a (presumably much less rare) tan USP and add the jet funnel kit and sandpaper grips if it will yield the same fit/finish as the CDNN Custom Combats

1 - 15 of 15 Posts