HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those experienced with RDS's, I've got my first one, an Insight MRDS for my USC. I notice the shape of the dot varies at times. Sometimes I look at it and the dot is nice
single circle, sometimes 2 slightly overlapping circle, definitely 3 overlapping circles when I wear my prescription lenses. Is this normal? Is it just my eyes or could their be something defective with the sight? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get the same thing. its Astigmatism in the eye that causes it. go outside in the light and let your eyes adjust and check it out. it will probably look like a circle again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank's for the info. Yes I do have some astigmatism. For a while. I was a little concerned with RDS. I spent so much on it. thank you again

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yup it totally happens to me too. My friends think Im nuts- esp. when I told them I see like 5 dots in a connected curved line. Cant use Aimpoints. I do OK with the giant EO tech reticle, but I try to stick to irons and ACOG's.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you look at it through an aperture, it will usually correct itself. I use an aperture (or magnifier) for long range shots to get rid of the effect of the astigmatism.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
A lot of people don't even know they have an Astigmatism until they use a red-dot sight and get blurred or misshapen dots. It's not uncommon though, something like the Leupold Prismatic with the 1x etched retical can be a big help in stuff like that though.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I get the same thing. its Astigmatism in the eye that causes it. go outside in the light and let your eyes adjust and check it out. it will probably look like a circle again.
Bingo on the astigmatism. My friend has issues with it, especially with the dots on the Eotechs. To me I don't see them blobbing out.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
You haven't lived until you watch a "floater" the size of an aircraft carrier drift over and settle in the middle of your sighting eye. A blink or two and it's off to the side a bit... but still threatening to creep over the center of the eyeball.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
You haven't lived until you watch a "floater" the size of an aircraft carrier drift over and settle in the middle of your sighting eye. A blink or two and it's off to the side a bit... but still threatening to creep over the center of the eyeball.
I worry tremendously about this. I'm told I'm at high risk for retinal detachment and to go to the doc immediately if I start seeing fireworks in my eyes. Very scary stuff as I don't like dogs that much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
+1

I use a Leupold Prismatic and love it. My astigmatism is too annoying with RDs if I am not wearing glasses.

A lot of people don't even know they have an Astigmatism until they use a red-dot sight and get blurred or misshapen dots. It's not uncommon though, something like the Leupold Prismatic with the 1x etched retical can be a big help in stuff like that though.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Quite common if you focus on the dot. But realize with a RDS you should have both eyes open and focus on the target. Then the dot will seem the proper shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts