HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm new here, just dropped in for a quick question I thought some of you guys might have knowledge of. I just completed my first HK91 paddle mag release install. It went as well as any I've seen on the net so far, but I still feel it could have been done better.

I'm building another 91 from a flat and would like to try a variation. Specifically I'd like to install a custom bushing on each side of the well. One bushing would be a seat, and the other would be partially drilled at 1/8 then have a stepped larger diameter tapped for a set screw. The idea being you could drop the paddle with its straight bushing in place, then install the 1/8 dowell pin from one side and install a set screw inline with the pin to hold it there.

Now to do this I need to put a 1/4 inch hole through both sides of the well, wrap my custom S/A shelf around the well, install a pin for alignment and then TIG the two bushings in place. Will this put me on the wrong side of the law because I have a receiver that (temporarily) had two through holes where the F/A receiver pin was designed to go? The receiver will not have a barrell or trunnion installed until after the paddle mag work is done.

I'm thinking since I have no FA FCG's and there will be no barrel or trunnion installed I'm OK, but anyone feel differently could give me an idea why?

TIA

·
Registered
527 Posts
I dont know when BATFE considers a flat an actual receiver. I BELIEVE its when you can install a bbl. If so, then if you do the nastiness before the trunnion is placed, you should be ok. Im sure someone will come along and set you straight. Ghillie Bear comes to mind.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I dont know when BATFE considers a flat an actual receiver. I BELIEVE its when you can install a bbl. If so, then if you do the nastiness before the trunnion is placed, you should be ok. Im sure someone will come along and set you straight. Ghillie Bear comes to mind.

Once the flat is bent it is considered a receiver as far as I know. It does not have to be welded....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once the flat is bent it is considered a receiver as far as I know. It does not have to be welded....
If that's the case, how can you not technically be in possession of a F/A as soon as its bent since there is no S/A shelf till after this is done?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I was machining forged FAL receivers at Armscorp when we had a compliance check, at the time Tech Branch was queried and we were told if the bbl threading had not been done yet, it was NOT to be on our books as a receiver. That was many years ago, and you can bet its not accurate anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Once it is folded it is considered a firearm. Does not have to be welded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided I would just make the seat very shallow so it doesn't need to pass through the shelf. I turned one with a little nib on the back to locate it in the correct position for welding so now I won't have a through hole anytime following the bend. This is kosher to bend now, right?

After bending it I'll open the other hole to 1/4 inch and install the threaded bushing and shelf and weld the rest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts