HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the spring had changed its seating from straight to curved this evening while cleaning the gun after returning from the range. As I am still new to HK firearms, and the 1911's I've been shooting for years leave no room for play like this in the spring, Id rather know than create wear on something as important as the spring and its surrounding parts.

D

·
0 Posts
I don't know about you, but the three H&K's that I have... actually any gun that I own, don't do that after only 650 rounds... I'd call them up or maybe e-mail them with that picture as attachment and ask if it's normal.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hmmm, my mark23's spring doesn't even look that warped... That usually happens when a spring is compressed and has wobble room, but i've never seen one that out of whack...

I dont think it would affect the reliability or service life, but i would show the pic to HK just in case!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sure!

Heres HK-USA's contact info:

Heckler & Koch Inc
7661 Commerce Ln
Trussville, AL 35173
800-821-3021
205-655-7078 fax
[email protected] <--- Email

It may take a couple days for them to reply, so don't get too antsy if they dont reply in a day or two. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am pretty sure the spring on my USPf 45 has some curvature similar to what is in your picture. I am not sure it is quite as warped as yours, but I don't think it is perfectly straight either. I think my G17 is also like that.

As the inner diameter of the spring is much greater than the outer diameter of the guide rod, I suspect that it flexs all over the place when shooting. In order to keep it perfectly straight and centered on the rod, there would have to be very little slop between the moving parts in the gun and I just don't think that combat weapons have tolerances that are that tight.

However, the above is just me "thinking out loud" and is only my best guess. Be sure to let us know what HK has to say about it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I talked to Travis a while back about this and was told that its completely normal. He said that the springs will take the path of least resistance which is to curve slightly to alieviate tension. It will not effect functionality at all.

·
Registered
896 Posts
That looks like my NIB 9mm Elite's spring. I had the same thought but figured that a good day at the range would fix that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And the willer is... JLStorm

(Just figure Id post the response as there seemed to be some uncertainty about the curve in the spring. The following is from HK CS.

That's perfectly normal because of the tension that it's under. If you remove the recoil assembly, it will straighten back out.

HK Customer Service
7661 Commerce Lane
Trussville, AL 35173
800-821-3021
205-655-7078 fax
www.hk-usa.com

To locate a direct dealer, please click the links below:
http://www.hk-usa.com/locator.asp

http://www.hk-usa.com/le_dealer_list.html

·
Banned
77 Posts
Same on USP40

My USP40 recoil spring does exactly the same thing. Just turn the spring by hand so that the bulge points downwards. That way it is better guided by the frame. It doesn't work better, but it eliminates that cheap sounding "cracking" sound.

But as I mentioned, the gun functions just fine either way. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yea, mine bends too.

As HK says, the bend is inherant in the design. Unlike your 1911, the USP has a double spring system, with a small spring that fits the guide's diameter but is only 1/3 the length, and a large spring which is larger than the guide's diameter to get around the inner spring but is full length.

Since the spring is under compression, it naturally wants to uncompress itself, but the spring guide prevents it from extending to its full length. Since it cannot get longer, it tries to release the tension by bending, and because the large spring's diameter is larger than the rod, there is a bit of room for it to do so.

A full length guide rod in the 1911 is designed to fit the spring to prevent bending supposedly to improve accuracy (right?...), but remember that the original 1911 has no guide rod, so that spring's bend is only contained by the space in between the frame and the barrel.

The bend in the USP's outer recoil spring is inherant in the design, so I wouldn't worry about it.

M

·
0 Posts
Does the gun still function normally? i would suggest that if the gun is still functioning normally and the other components seem ok that you probably have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is absolutely normal. My USP40 recoil springs have always done that.

Turn the bulge to move against the bottom of the barrel or the frame. That will eliminate the click sound you sometimes get.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
It would be just trying to fix something that ain´t broken. Go and shoot it a bunch, and enjoy :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts