HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to HK, HK4 and this site. I recently acquired 2 HK4s. One is an early production with the safety completely inside the cut out on the slide. When the safety is on or in the safe position this gun can be cocked and the hammer drops with trigger pull. I understand the hammer does not hit the firing pin. The second HK4 is a later model, one of the 12000 made for the Police but it was exported. It has the safety that extends out over the cut out and when this gun is in safe mode, the hammer cannot be cocked and the trigger cannot be pulled all the way. Is all this normal or is one of the guns malfunctioning? In all cases the gun is empty and the magazine is in the gun. In both cases if the safety is OFF, the gun can be cocked and the trigger pull drops the hammer. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Mine works the first way, I am not quite sure what you mean on the safety difference, maybe you can post a picture?

Shockwave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the safety on the second one that does not function like yours Shockwave. Notice that the serations on the slide are probably more limited than on your slide? ie don't go as far to the rear? And notice that the tip of the safety is up and over the slide outside the cut out. Is yours like this? If it is, I photo the other one. Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
I looked at my HK4 and it does have the tip of the safety over the slide, as in your photo. It is very slight, at first I thought it wasn't over the slide at all but you can see the safety has a little cut out in the bottom to allow for the slide. Interesting.

Mine is IB date coded, should be 1982, so a late production model. As far as functionality, mine seems to work as I believe an HK 4 should- with magazine inserted, and safety on, you can cock the hammer and decock it as well, by pulling trigger (yikes!) while safety is engaged (preferably while not loaded). It would work the same way with safety off, except of course the hammer would hit the firing pin and if loaded, it will fire.

I did a little reading at the remtek website, and though I didn't try it, it almost sounds like you are getting the functionality of when the mag is removed. According to that site, with the mag removed and safety on, you can't cock the hammer. Whether that was an intentional factory mod made on some models or a gunsmith custom, or just a worn parts issue, I can't really say, but your #2 does seem to be different. Perhaps Marine0303 or someone else has insight into this, if not he might be able to fix it, providing the posts can be found.

Shockwave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shockwave,

Thank you for the reply and information. This picture is of my early model that allows cocking and hammer drop when the trigger is pulled even with the safety on. I thought maybe the safety design was an indication of which operation applied to which model, but I guess not. Notice on this early model how the serrations are different - they go around and to the rear of the safety and the tip of the safety is inside the cutout in the slide. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts