HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this board; so far I find it to be extremely informative. I am 24 years old I’ve been shooting for 10 years. Shotgun and rifle ownership for 6 years. I am buying my first handgun this week; I’ve shot many varieties and makes, ultimately finding the HK 45 to be right on the money for me. The question I have is, I was told by a local gun store that the first 500 HK 45 were built in Germany and the rest are going to be built in the states. They have two left, I was also told it’s more desirable to have the HK 45 built in Germany.

Simply can someone tell me if there is any validity to this?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Many people on this forum have serial #'s higher then 500 that were built in Germany. The HK45's are still currently being built in Germany and not scheduled to start production here in the States until late 2008.

·
2,832 Posts
yes its true, not sure when but they will be made in the US(Wilcox) at somepoint, not sure how many HK45's have come into the US so far, it may be 500 or it may be more or less

my "guess" is down the road(might be a long road) that the german HK45's will be worth more......maybe

·
Registered
849 Posts
First 500 is an exageration; I have a 5xx serial number that is made in germany. Also, find the thread where everyone is posting up their serial numbers for future reference. The ones made in germany will be stamped made in germany.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where would I find the "made in Germany stamp"

·
Registered
534 Posts
Look in frount of the right side slide release lever, just below the frount lower corner of the ejection port. It should read "HK Sidearms GmbH Made in Germany.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
While it is definately true they will be producing the HK45's in the USA in the future, do not let anyone blow smoke up your ass about them being any less desireable. Maybe from a collectors standpoint the Made in Germany is more desired but I am sure the quality and function will be the same wherever an HK is produced. I highly doubt that HK will let their quality slide.

Personally I think he is mainly feeding you this load of bull to try to get you to pay a higher price for the German piece. Before purchasing check with CDNN on their prices.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
My HK45 serial number is 10XX and it came from Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

The German guns may be more valuable to collectors later on, but I don't buy my guns for that reason. Every gun I own is meant for defensive use.

I agree that HK will ensure strict quality control measures are in place when they begin US manufacture of the HK45 or anything else.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the help, I will post pics as soon as Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The HK 45 is certainly a nice weapon, it didn't take long to grow on me after seeing an all black model. To be honest, I didn't care for it in the carmel brown variations first shown while competing for the military contract. Seeing it now, it's actually something I would buy and be proud to own. I am actually leaning toward adding a P2000sk as my next HK, we'll see how that goes.

Welcome to the HK PRO Family.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Caring whether or not a specific gun is made in a certain country seems about as foolish as caring that your Honda Accord was made in Ohio.

If a US-made HK45 is distinguishable in any way from a German-made one except for markings, I'd be amazed.

Are they going to change the design of the pistol?
Are they going to use different metals to make it?
Will their quality control be any less stringent here?

Doubtful, on all three questions.

The main benefits I imagine to US-made HK45's will be cost (because of the dollar-to-euro conversion rate right now) and the fact that you can buy one of the best handguns in the world while supporting the American workers who manufacture it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Caring whether or not a specific gun is made in a certain country seems about as foolish as caring that your Honda Accord was made in Ohio.

If a US-made HK45 is distinguishable in any way from a German-made one except for markings, I'd be amazed.

Are they going to change the design of the pistol?
Are they going to use different metals to make it?
Will their quality control be any less stringent here?

Doubtful, on all three questions.

The main benefits I imagine to US-made HK45's will be cost (because of the dollar-to-euro conversion rate right now) and the fact that you can buy one of the best handguns in the world while supporting the American workers who manufacture it.

Well, I know people that would disagree on the quality issue. There is a difference between the US made, and European made, Walthers and Sigs. Though Glock doesn't seem to have that problem. Perhaps HK will be on top of that issue as well?

I got a new catalog from CDNN, and the HK45, and USP page had the heading "last made in Germany HK's"

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
My serial number is close to 4 times what you stated.

·
2,832 Posts
well I worked for Honda from 90-94......in 1992 I bought a new Accord EX...but I waited untill one that was made in Japan rolled off the truck.....foolish me ;)

t.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My first post, back to life. ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the slide has the proof marks from the german clearing houses, its for sure german? my HK45c has all them and the number is 2xxx. The frame says made in germany, but the slide doesnt have the DE mark, has AI which i think is the date code?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If the slide has the proof marks from the german clearing houses, its for sure german? my HK45c has all them and the number is 2xxx. The frame says made in germany, but the slide doesnt have the DE mark, has AI which i think is the date code?
Yes, AI is the date code. Not all HKs have the DE mark, it's actually a newer thing that we're starting to see. No worries, it's made in Germany.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My new USP45 Compact says "Made in Germany" on the right side of the frame and "HK1 (or I) Trussville, AL" on the underside of the front part of the gun. I myself am not to concerned where it was made. Like someone mentioned earlier, the HK Quality Control should still be present.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Without a doubt I would buy one made in Germany over a US made one if given the choice.

·
Premium Member
3,609 Posts
My HK45, bought back in March, has a serial number over 2400, so there are many, many more than 500 made in Germany.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts