HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone care to post an opinion on whether you can ship a Century C93 223 caliber upper only to a california ffl and the remaining pieces to a buyers home? Supposedly you can avoid having the mag lock installed doing it this way and it would fall on the buyer to do this before reassembling the rifle.

Just looking for comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Since you're asking for opinions, not certified facts, I'll speak up. I'm not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV.

The serialized portion needs to go to the FFL. That's the "firearm." With ARs, the lower reciever is sold bare, and the consumer can assemble the weapon around that, but the other pieces do not need to be purchased at the same time. There are some problems that can arise ("constructive intent" I believe it is called) if a citizen is in possession of pieces that can *only* be assembled in an illegal configuration, i.e. a short-barrel AR upper with no AR lower registered as a pistol is "obviously" intended to make an SBR.

I hope this helps but kind of doubt it considering my lack of bona fides in the legal realm.

·
Vendor
6,925 Posts
I don't do it. The upper on a hk clone is the firearm. it's better to install the Ca parts take some pics and send it has a whole rifle to the ffl.. you can also call CA DOJ to make sure Bro..
Does anyone care to post an opinion on whether you can ship a Century C93 223 caliber upper only to a california ffl and the remaining pieces to a buyers home? Supposedly you can avoid having the mag lock installed doing it this way and it would fall on the buyer to do this before reassembling the rifle.

Just looking for comments.

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have purchased 3 hk clones in the exact way you described.
The one thing I do when I pick up the serialized receiver from my ffl is to purchase a rad lock from them on the pickup date.
Other people I know prefer to have the rifle featureless so they add a kydex wrap to the trigger pack. By doing this you can then have a normal mag release.
I know most prefer to have the mod performed prior to shipment but most sellers just don't want to deal with the mod.

If you do install the radlock or other magazine locking device they normally take 20-30 min to install.

But in the end what really maters is that the rifle is in a legal configuration when it is assembled in California. And that responsibility falls on the individual who is in possession of the firearm.

·
Registered
229 Posts
But in the end what really maters is that the rifle is in a legal configuration when it is assembled in California. And that responsibility falls on the individual who is in possession of the firearm.
So simple yet so difficult for people to understand.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Shipping a barreled receiver for transfer IS legal to do. YES. I have it done all the time. Just so long as it isn't an "HK91," "HK93," "HK94," or "PSG1" you are OK. You can even actually send the complete rifle disassembled, but it is better to do it the way you describe, shipping the parts separately. If it is possible to remove the flash hider, that would be better too. Some FFL's are pretty anal, and depending on the FFL it would be better to have no evil features (threaded barrels on a rifle are NOT an evil feature, so that is OK.) It is legal to send with the flash hider too, but it is just one more level of being careful.

I don't do it. The upper on a hk clone is the firearm. it's better to install the Ca parts take some pics and send it has a whole rifle to the ffl.. you can also call CA DOJ to make sure Bro..
Be careful, DOJ people are notorious for giving the wrong information over the phone. It is OK to ship just the barreled receiver for transfer, but I / we appreciate smith's and builders doing stuff for Cali regardless.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There are some problems that can arise ("constructive intent" I believe it is called) if a citizen is in possession of pieces that can *only* be assembled in an illegal configuration
MG's and SBR's aside, this is not an issue with the California law on semi auto "assault weapons." That is pretty well established now. Just so long as the functional rifle (no constructive possession at all) is ban compliant, it is good.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If you really want to keep your butt out of hot water, pay the extra few dollars and have a dealer in your state send it to a dealer in California. The illegal actions (if any) will then be performed by someone else and they will take the blame for either sending or possessing illegal firearm parts in California. Then, just make sure that the gloves don't fit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes its legal to ship the upper to the FFL and the rest of the parts to the private individual.
Im sorry but I have to go off on a rant here.
It disheartens me so many dealers are reluctant to ship a firearm in pieces or at all into California. There is no constructive intent in California (besides any federal NFA stuff). We do it all the time with ar15s, people buy lowers from the FFL and have every single other part shipped online directly to their home. How is that any different from an HK firearm? As mentioned, it is up to the BUYER, not the seller, to make sure they are California compliant, whether it is with a magazine lock, a kydex wraparound grip, or just leave the rifle/pistol disassembled in pieces.
I know some dealers get this and I THANK THEM FOR SELLING/SHIPPING to California. What better way to piss off the gun-hating politicians then importing more evil looking firearms into this state. Even though we have terrible laws, California is a gigantic market with lots of people ready to spend LOTS of money on HK style firearms. Just ask distributors like HKPARTS or Atlantic firearms. They are all willing to take an extra 5 minutes to make a firearm California compliant because they know there is a hungry consumer screaming "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

·
Banned
125 Posts
if you brought a pistol mp5 and a week later brought a stock. is it illegal to have the 2 in the same house hold even though its not installed?

Should i let my mom hold it for me at her house...?:2300000:

edit: i mean should the person let their mom hold it for them until the sbr tax stamp comes in?

Since you're asking for opinions, not certified facts, I'll speak up. I'm not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV.

The serialized portion needs to go to the FFL. That's the "firearm." With ARs, the lower reciever is sold bare, and the consumer can assemble the weapon around that, but the other pieces do not need to be purchased at the same time. There are some problems that can arise ("constructive intent" I believe it is called) if a citizen is in possession of pieces that can *only* be assembled in an illegal configuration, i.e. a short-barrel AR upper with no AR lower registered as a pistol is "obviously" intended to make an SBR.

I hope this helps but kind of doubt it considering my lack of bona fides in the legal realm.

·
Vendor
6,925 Posts
maybe this will help

12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Assault Weapon Generic Characteristics (Penal Code Section 12276.1)

not just base on the list but also base on the characteristcs of the weapon.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/p...de3d3ca-5ae3-451d-a4ce-7539bb4fbb3c/7/hilite/

Generic Characteristics Defining Assault Weapons:​
12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:Rifles​
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one ofthe following:(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.(B) A thumbhole stock.(C) A folding or telescoping stock.(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.(E) A flash suppressor.(F) A forward pistol grip.(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10rounds.(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.​
Note: Bayonets and bayonet lugs are not assault weapon characteristics under California law.​

hope this help.. just be safe .

·
Vendor
6,925 Posts
if someone find a copy of the CA law on bullet button and that you can ship just a rec upper into the state . please send me a copy I would love add it to are books.. or can show me were to find it can Ca laws.
thank you guys I just can't find it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
maybe this will help

12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office Assault Weapon Generic Characteristics (Penal Code Section 12276.1)

[URL]http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/awguide.pdf#xml=http://search.doj.ca.gov:8004/AGSearch/isysquery/3de3d3ca-5ae3-451d-a4ce-7539bb4fbb3c/7/hilite/

12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the following:Rifles​
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one ofthe following:(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.(B) A thumbhole stock.(C) A folding or telescoping stock.(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.(E) A flash suppressor.(F) A forward pistol grip.(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10rounds.(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.​
Note: Bayonets and bayonet lugs are not assault weapon characteristics under California law.​
The answer to your question is in your previous post!
If you ship a barreled upper w/o flash hider on barrel how can it be defined as an assault weapon per your quote of CA law?

·
Vendor
6,925 Posts
maybe this will help

12275 thru 12290 Assault Weapons - Dangerous Weapons Control Laws - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

Assault Weapon Generic Characteristics (Penal Code Section 12276.1)

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/p...de3d3ca-5ae3-451d-a4ce-7539bb4fbb3c/7/hilite/

The answer to your question is in your previous post!
If you ship a barreled upper w/o flash hider on barrel how can it be defined as an assault weapon per your quote of CA law?

C93 have the A grenade launcher on the barrel also . CA laws are not right in my book but I do not live in Ca.. All we have to go By is CA laws so if you or someone can show us the Ca laws stating in ok .. then there is no problem. I for one just do not like doing deals on hear say. I sure ca as one I just can't find it to put in my book and Iam a DOJ approve FFL. I ask the Doj and this is the laws they sent me..

·
Registered
108 Posts
if someone find a copy of the CA law on bullet button and that you can ship just a rec upper into the state . please send me a copy I would love add it to are books.. or can show me were to find it can Ca laws.
thank you guys I just can't find it.
This is going to be about as close as you can get. http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

You can reference all the penal codes for more in-depth information.
I know it’s not what you are looking for, but it’s a good reference tool to stay legal in this state.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts