HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an ap5 p core and then ordered the picatinny optic mount from century.

Seems extremely straight forward but the pieces / wedges that you attach under the rail will fit on the one side but not the other. One side of the gun has raised parts under where the mount attaches while the other does not.

All four wedge pieces are identical. I would have thought two would have been slightly more narrow to account for the humps/ raised metal on the one side of the receiver

Am I an idiot or do I have something out of spec?

pics of receiver attached to show what I mean

Bumper Trigger Air gun Line Automotive exterior

Air gun Trigger Office equipment Gun accessory Shotgun

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The optic rail that comes with the MKE's is a very cheap China mount for the commercial market.

It's garbage.
I was considering ordering an MI one and trying to return this to century….
The other option is fitting the mount to the gun if at all possible……

neither is what I had hoped for…… bought it from the place that sells the gun assuming it would be easy…. Not so lucky !

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Used an oil stone I use for fitting sights to work down the wedges for that side and then tapped them in as suggested. Not a fan as I’m sure there is some minor marring that happened under there but it worked.

Thank you to those that were willing to help!

· Registered
26 Posts
this man on reddit has it right:

"Don’t securely fasten anything yet. Put the wedges in there and just start the threads. Then slide the other side in from the side, NOT the bottom. You may have to tap them into place to line up the holes. Once you have them all started, tighten them each a little at a time until they are all nice and tight."

if you tighten any of the four screws BEFORE you have the ALL wedges in, you won't be able to get them in. Also wedges should be facing UP. Some directions show them facing down.
I'm using the stock MKE and they're perfectly fine as long as the height suits you.

· Registered
77 Posts
With my own personal experience with my ap5p, I had the century mount and also tried the MI mount and finally a B&T mount.

I could never get the 4th wedge in on the century mount, regardless of the order I put them in. I thought I was going crazy, thought my ap5p mounting tabs might be out of spec.

I eventually got the MI mount and it fit just fine. Then I stumbled across a great price a few months back for a BT-21241 and the thing just slipped on like a tailor made suit. My own conclusion is my century mount must have been out of spec just a bit

· Registered
557 Posts
In my experience, the installation video on the Zenith website says to install the little blocks with the chamfer up. I attempted with the flats up and it would not work, flipped them around and per the video and it worked. There is another video that shows the early rail that does not have the slots in it to be able to view the serial number on the top and it shows the same orientation of the blocks with the chamfer up.

· Registered
24 Posts
In my experience, the installation video on the Zenith website says to install the little blocks with the chamfer up. I attempted with the flats up and it would not work, flipped them around and per the video and it worked. There is another video that shows the early rail that does not have the slots in it to be able to view the serial number on the top and it shows the same orientation of the blocks with the chamfer up.
My MKE rail showed up this weekend and I was having the same difficulty installing as everyone described above, until I realized the "chamfer up" bit. First 3 went in immediately, fourth required just a tiny bit of coaxing from a punch. I was done in 10 min and I'd give myself a 4/10 handy-with-tools rating.

· Premium Member
33 Posts
Put the mount on first without hardware then insert the wedges with the angled cut facing upwards toward the top of the gun. Depending on your gun, you might rub the finish a little bit. there was one wedge that was a little tight to fit. Tighten each bolt just enough to hold the wedge in place until you get all of the bolts/wedges started.

Try to stand your gun up in a vice, throw a level on top of the rail and begin tightening the bolts; alternating like a wheel and trying to keep the rail level. I can't find the torque spec anywhere but I believe I used 10-15 in/lbs.

If you give up on that mount, I would go with a B&T offering. They are a much better option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts