HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a VP9, because I was very happy with how it felt. I brought it to the range after cleaning and lubricating it.

My first shot, it failed to eject. I cleared the malfunctioned and fired, and it cycled. BANG, BANG, BANG, Fte, cleared, and cycled.

Tried another mag, same thing. 4-5 FTEs.

Ammo was blazer brass 115 gr

So, naturally I get a little upset that I feel as if I purchased a bogus, new hand gun, so I loaded five mags, and i start mag dumping. I dumped three mags rapidly, and then fired at a steady pace. No further issues.

Any idea what this could be? HK was supposed to be reliable.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Did you lube it according to what the manual shows which includes barrel exterior and entire length of each slide rail where it rides on frame steel tabs??

Brass Blazer is good ammo but loaded a bit on the soft side. New Pistols can often benefit from using a more stout ammo with higher power factor for the first couple hundred rounds until recoil spring breaks in a little bit such as Federal American Eagle, Speer Lawman, and NATO spec 9MM ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I used Blazer Brass for the first time two weeks ago in a training class, and had more FTF's and FTE's than I've had through the last 10,000 rounds I've fired through those same exact guns prior. On the plus side, I suppose it helped my practice for failure drills.

Before you lose your cool, try a different brand of ammo.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Brass Blazer is good ammo
My experience with has been such that I think of it as the worst US made factory ammo and inferior to many imported options. As usual, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
HK's, like many firearms, benefit from using NATO or "+P" ammo for the first several hundred rounds to be "broken in". This helps gets mechanisms and springs working smoothly from the beginning just as any machine. I personally don't consider an HK firearm broken in until three hundred rounds of NATO are through it.

1. Clean the shipping grease from it.
2. Lube it per the manual.
3. Go to the range with three-hundred rounds of NATO ammo.
4. Fire them all.
5. Clean it and lube it per the manual.
6. For duty, load it with quality ammo, not "range" ammo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Winchester white box 115 grain has never caused me trouble and that is what I originally ran through my VP9. I have also run Independence 9mm and Federal 9mm without issue.

If it runs another 200-300 rounds without an issue I wouldn't be concerned.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
My experience with has been such that I think of it as the worst US made factory ammo and inferior to many imported options. As usual, YMMV.
Odd people saying this. I've gone through at least 5K rounds of Blazer Brass (115 and 124) never once a failure...I have heard HK upped the newer VP9 RSA to that of the VP40 so might need something warmer to loosen her up a bit.

Oddly, the one VP9 (have several) has 9550 rounds through, and only FTRBs (5 total) were out of same case (500) Q4318 Win Nato....hasn't happened since and likely 2500 rounds of it through this one.

Break it in with some hot ammo maybe 500 rounds and evaluate then. I liked it so much bought some spares.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Any idea what this could be? HK was supposed to be reliable.
There's no way of knowing for sure, Wimbledon. But the HK, as great a weapon as it is, is a factory machined hunk of metal without the benefit of precise hand fitting. Despite your prophylactic cleaning and lubrication, it's entirely possible that there was a burr or a tiny bit of debris that was preventing reliable operation. If it's running well now, I'd pump a few more boxes through it, and if it runs well, I'd consider the problem solved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you note one of today's prior posts, the new VP9's are shipping with the VP40 recoil spring setup. Will cause some malfunctions, early on. My VP9T has the VP40 recoil spring setup as does my new VP9

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Odd people saying this. I've gone through at least 5K rounds of Blazer Brass (115 and 124) never once a failure...
Not had any failures too although I've shot only maybe 2K total. I found it a little underpowered, dirty, and, above all, very inconsistent and inaccurate so I stopped using it. I had much better experience with regular Blazer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would shoot 120 rounds and expect flawless performance. Try for 30 shots from four different ammo manufacturers. If there's any hiccups call HK and let them know. If this is your target pistol a pickup may be fine to you, however home defense or carry gun, thats another issue and I personally would lack confidence if it can't fire 30 shots each from 4 different ammo manufacturers, hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had FTE and FTF with all of my HK guns prior to about 200-500 round break in period. It bothered me at first that such a premium pistol would have these problems right out of the box but they did and thats reality. After several hundred rounds through them though they now function flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
I have had FTE and FTF with all of my HK guns prior to about 200-500 round break in period. It bothered me at first that such a premium pistol would have these problems right out of the box but they did and thats reality. After several hundred rounds through them though they now function flawlessly.
this is odd? generally speaking HK handguns are good to go right out of the box (after thorough cleaning of course). The reliability of all my HK handguns has out performed other competing brands by huge margins, and that is without a break-in.

now, if you are talking about 9mm guns, this has been covered at nausea on here. HK 9mm handguns are manufactured/spec'd for NATO powered 9mm ammo, which is what is available in Europe where they guns are designed and manufactured. So, as mentioned above, 124gr or +P ammo, and absent a defective part or damage to the handgun, you should be up and running reliably.

Also covered to exhaustion on here, if you are willing to spend the extra coin on a higher end production gun, why are you feeding it garbage ammo. Blazer brass ammo is as many have mentioned the bottom of the pile for power, reliability, and consistency, although it is better than Blazer aluminum cased ammo......

Get some NATO spec's ammo, run the same shooting cadence you did when you experienced the malfunctions. If you still have similar malfunctions, then there is likely an issue with your gun.

good luck.....

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
This is why I have a Walther PPQ on order. A better gun all-around.
Having both, not sure I'd agree with that statement, but if you say so.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Not had any failures too although I've shot only maybe 2K total. I found it a little underpowered, dirty, and, above all, very inconsistent and inaccurate so I stopped using it. I had much better experience with regular Blazer.
Interesting as CCI/Blazer says other than steel vs brass casing, loaded to same specs. I don't run steel through my guns, and HK manual says to use brass.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Every new HK I've taken out with 115's has had a few malfunctions in the first few rounds. After about 10 rounds or so there's not any more malfunctions.

Using 124 grain for the first hundred or so rounds helps the break in occur faster. I've never had a malfunction with one using the 124s.

I shoot blazer 115's in mine often. The only time I've ever had an issue with an older HK was shooting WWB. That stuff was choking my USP Compact every third round.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts