HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow HK owners. This is my first post and I just bought a VP9 a little over a week ago. Wooh! I felt the gun and just fell in love. Although I'm having some issues with POA/POI. I have been shooting guns my whole life. Mostly glocks and S&W. I own a glock, sig, s&w and some milsurp pistols. Never had an issue with any pistols as far as being pretty accurate at just about any distance. Especially 7-10 yards. Always grouped nicely. I was trained by my step dad who has been a LEO for 25 years now. I've also been trained by military veterans and swat members etc. So needless to say I was taught properly. Today I finally got to shoot the VP9 at the range and was shooting at 7-10 yards and shot over 200 rounds. I was shooting very low. So I changed grip and started shooting left/right depending on how I was changing so I finally said screw it and went back to my natural grip and started aiming high. Then it was hitting where I wanted it to. I always have aimed like "sight picture 3" so that's how I was aiming this one. But I was getting great groups just very low. So when I aimed anywhere from 2-4 inches high I started hitting where I wanted to. And no it wasn't just me pulling the shot because I rested my arms and the gun on the bench and it still shot 2-3 inches low. This is with factory blazer brass ammo so no issues there. The model I bought has the Mepro night sights and are supposedly the same height as the other factory sights. So without further ado has anyone else had this issue or are my sights possibly defective and or not seated properly?? I contacted HK customer service but have not heard back yet. I am really dreading having to send my newest edition to the collection in for service already. But hopefully if I do it was just a small manufacturer defect that can be fixed. Because I really love the gun. And don't get me wrong I tore the target up with great groups. All kill shots. They were just 2-4 inches lower than POA using sight picture 3. And it wasn't just because I was "off" or something today because I pulled out my glock 30 and tore the face out of the target. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
In my opinion you have about two options. 1. the sight is off. this can be tested by having someone else shoot the gun and see if they get the same results. make sure they also shoot hold over sight picture. 2. You are a hardcore glock user. I have run across a few people who after they switch from glocks to another pistol they will shoot low. This is due to the grip angle of a glock being a bit more drastic. Because to get a sight picture on a glock you have to cam your wrists a bit more forward. If you muscle memory is kicking in your hands are realigning right before your shot just enough to make your sight picture drop and cause the low shots. which means the answer is just to get re-accustomed to a VP9.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I really think something is up with the sight because I've picked up many of odd pistols and after a mag or two I'm shooting fairly good with it. This was a rigorous 200 round "test" to see if I could figure out the issue trying everything I've ever learned. Only thing that fixed it was aiming high. And the only reason I threw in that they could be defective sights is because I read over a forum where someone with a vp9 had to send theirs in for a repair and it ended up being defective sights. Although he didn't specify why exactly he sent it in other than shot placement wasn't to his satisfaction. Thanks for the input though. I appreciate it. And I agree I definitely need more training with the VP9 as ergonomics are very different.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Maybe try shooting it off a rest, just to be sure.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have a similar issue with my beretta px4 full size. The front sight dot was painted a little too high. So if I line up the dots in pic 3, it will shoot low about 4 inches at 10 yard. If I line up the top of blade and use front sight to cover the target, it is right on. Op also mentioned he got the mepro sight. Is it after market on and you installed? If so, was it done professionally in shop? Last thing I would suggest is to get a caliper and measure the height from the top of the blade to center of front sight. Do the same for rear sight. They should be same or within 0.2mm difference. Good luck.

·
Banned
60 Posts
I would say put another 200 rounds through. Like SK said it could be just getting accustomed to the new grip and sights. Not sure if you run NS on your glock's but they do take some getting use to. And if all else fails send it in. If under warranty it will not cost you anything and regardless what people say HK has awesome customer service and a group of great guys. I know that for sure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its not you CaveDweller, it is the gun. If you do a search, you will see a plethora of people with the same problem. The gun inherently shoot lower than all the other HKs on the market. If you change your front sight to the 5.9mm shorter height, it will hit directly behind the dot.

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/218821-vp9-front-sight-height-2.html#post1672171
I've not had this problem with my VP9. I have the stocks sights though and just crossed over from shooting Glocks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
IMO I think your not "covering" the target properly.

When I first got an HK (USP) I thought the same thing until I learned the sights. Now its just second nature.

I actually put Dawsons on my VP9 and i'm trying to unlearn the "covering" and its tough.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I was trained on and carried an issued P7M8 for ~15 years until we went to SiG's (begrudgingly for me).

Saying that to background that I'm used to the HK type sight picture, and my VP9 shot low too. I went to a set of dawsons and that has helped a little, but I still need the impacts to come up higher.

I like red out front though. Is there a 5,9mm sight option out there for the VP9 that is RED?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
CaveDweller what grain bullets were you shooting? Even between 115 gr and 124 gr rounds I can see an impact shift.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. And Messer I do have night sights on my S&W. And they were mepro NS factory installed by HK. And yea I really think I need to practice more but it really seems to be hitting quite low. I'm going to take it for another 200 round test in the next day or so and I will keep you guys informed. And yea I read some of the other posts of people shooting low with the VP9 as well. And as far as target coverage I was completely covering the X on a center mass silhouette target. Kept hitting low. Aimed about 2 inches higher and drilled the X. But like I said I'll take it out for another run and update you guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I am confident if it is some sort of defect that HK will take care of it. I've always heard great things. That's why I ponied up the dough for one. :68:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is the same. I use the 115 grain blazer brass and several other brands. I wonder if the 124 grain NATO rounds would end up center on the target. Most gun shops don't even carry the NATO ammo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine is like that too. I have to "lollipop" my front sight in order to hit what I'm aiming at. Even with 124gr NATO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There isn't a nickel's worth of POI difference between 115 gr. & 124 gr. at normal distances. Here's a good link and with it you can tell us what sight hold you are using:

pistol-training.com » Blog Archive » Sight Picture

As well, you could resolve this easily with good aftermarket sights. I recommend that as most factory sights stink.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
If you're 2 to 4" lower than your POA at 10 yards , you must have a front post like this ..

BTW . you do know HK's are ZEROED @ 25yds , but still , that doesn't account for near the 2 to 4"'s you are having .
Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had the same issue with my wife's VP9. I would six o clock the sight and it would hit half to an inch low. When I covered the target I was on target it also has the factory night sights. Now my HK45t hits POA and is a freakin tack driver. Again, it has factory night sights. My USP45 is like the VP9.

Dunno.

Personally I'm a fan of fiber optic sights. If I end up with another VP, it's not gonna have the night sights.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Between my HK45 and VP9, the 9 shoots lower. I have to use a cover up hold on the 9 vs a center mass w/45, and it's very apparent when I lay out both guns at the range. I will alternate with both pistols and readjust my sight picture accordingly. Need to fix it. I prefer the 45 with the center mass.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts