HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my HK USP40 (full size) new many years ago and it came with two 10 round polymer magazines. It has been shot one time.

I just purchased two 16 round polymer magazines and have two issues that bother me.

First issue: It takes a substantial amount of force to move these 16 round mags the last eight inch or so before they lock into place. This is with the slide in the forward position of course. It feels like something could be damaged from pushing too hard and there is no distinct click. This feels very bad.

If I remove one round, they will lock into place with a reasonable amount of force but still takes more effort than the 10 round mags. In fact, the 10 round mags. don’t feel like they hit anything before they lock into place.

When I compare the top bullet position / orientation with respect to each magazine, it looks the same for all of them. So why does it feel like I’m going to break something with those 16 round mags. and is this okay? I'm sure some will say to insert mags. with the slide back but shouldn't I be able to cycle a round into the chamber then top off the mag. and insert at full capacity?

Second issue: One 16 round mag. has a slight drag over the entire distance going into and out of the frame. The other one has a moderate drag and will not even eject under its own weight plus the 16 rounds. Should I accept that these magazines will not eject under their own weight, fully loaded or not?

This is all pretty new to me so go lightly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My take on this. I have an HK USP40 that I bought when the gun first came out. I run the gun with the standard capacity 13 round magazines. I considered buying some of the extended 16 round magazines, did a search here and elsewhere, noticed that people seemed to be having issues with them, so I decided that they were not robust enough.

One problem with questionable accessories or magazines is if they have problems you start wondering whether it is the product that is the problem or the issue is with the gun.

If I were in your situation I would buy a pair of new standard capacity 13 round magazines and try them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did similar research and only came up with one posting about the mag's not dropping freely. He had an issue with the main spring bowing out and causing interferance with the mag's and was able to easily resolve. I contemplated just getting 13 rounders as well but decided to go for it on the 16's. I could only find them in stock at one place so I decided to order before they completely dried up.

I can live with not being able to top off the first mag. but really wanted to know what was actually causing them to be so difficult to lock in place. These are advertised to be HK factory mag's so I thought there wouldn't be any doubt about the quality. I think I might try to get an exchange on the one that doesn't fall freely but wanted to here some other opinions first.

Anybody have answers to these questions? If nothing else, at least my posting might alert others to these potential issues.

·
Registered
234 Posts
HK made or not, these magazines are not very common. Some people may have bought them and not really used them. So you are going to have problems finding a sizable number of people to give you an answer.

Long before you first posted here, I did my research here and elsewhere and concluded that the 16 round mags were not reliable enough. Your post only confirms my decision. Extra capacity is useless without reliability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts