HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the P7 is not totally done for

Guys,

G24 over at Glocktalk recently took a tour of the H&K factory and he was informed that the P7 was only being made in special runs of 1000. After reviewing the thread I have no reason to doubt him. So, it may be true that the P7 is "out of production," but it will still be made form time to time.

I suspect these limited runs will be for governments who need replacements, not us civvies. So. maybe we should start a letter campaign to H&K demanding the reintroduction of the P7. An while they are at it, make it stainless or HE finish it!

Factory tour

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: It looks like the P7 is not totally done for

Actaully this is good news.
It means HK recognizes there is a market but a limited market for the P7 and will produce batches to meet the demand.

This also means there will be spare parts.

Now if they would only get rid of that stupid warning on the slide and move it under the trigger guard.

·
Registered
69 Posts

I always figured they'd introduce a polymer framed one seeing that they've gone to the polymer stuff on thier other models almost completely now. well, I think it was over on PCT that this ws brought up on a recent thread on the non-discontinuance of ourbeloved sqeezers. i'd be game for a poly-P.

·
Registered
193 Posts

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[ QUOTE ]
I always figured they'd introduce a polymer framed one

[/ QUOTE ]Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to have a polymer P7 in .357 SIG

[/ QUOTE ]

How's about that .45 P7?
I'd be in for one of those, polymer or not!!!

·
Registered
676 Posts

I'm not surprised...they do a run once a year for the MP5/40/10 series (parts/mags).

-Check

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts

they tried to do a .45 caliber P7 (don't recall what they called it). It didn't function reliably....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

The tolerances on that design are too tight for a polymer frame. The flex of the polymer would wreck havoc on the function of the gun. Plus that weight is part of what makes it such a sweet shooter!

·
Registered
471 Posts

The P7 does not need a ploymer frame.

The actual good news is that they are keping the tooling and keeping it on the "shop" floor.

JPG

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
The tolerances on that design are too tight for a polymer frame. The flex of the polymer would wreck havoc on the function of the gun. Plus that weight is part of what makes it such a sweet shooter!
The tolerance issue could be easily overcome. Many polymer frames aren't solid polymer anyways, they have a steel or aluminum skeleton, the polymer is an overmold. They could make all of the bearing surfaces metal to metal, and it could increase the overall stiffness as well.

But another problem would be the heat generated by the gas tube. It might not get hot enough to melt the plastic (300F for high-temp nylon), but probably does get hot enough to weaken it at the higher temps.

I'm sure they could engineer their way around that as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts