HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45c that ran like a race horse but started to misfeed on my last round in the mag. No one could really really give me a pinpoint answer, i noticed that this only happened on fmj target rounds, my hollow points have never ever failed to feed.

People would say "oh your limp wristing" and bs like that. But i decided to switch to 10%+ wolf mag springs and have had not problem....except a sore thumb.

Now, i have had this happen even before i purchased my hk with a gun rental. I had this happen a few times early last summer....well before i needed to change mag springs. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Some food for thought

You might try one of those uplula loaders, can help with the thumb issue. I got one and it works great for the P30, Hk45 and MP5 mags, it's a bit pricey at $30.00, but is money well spent, IMO

Bob

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You might try one of those uplula loaders, can help with the thumb issue. I got one and it works great for the P30, Hk45 and MP5 mags, it's a bit pricey at $30.00, but is money well spent, IMO

Bob
+1. Its the best $25-$30 you will spend. The uplula is a must have and will save your thumbs lots of pain :).

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I normally replace my mag springs when I first get them. I just like the stronger springs.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
sfguard, did you change out the P30 mag springs? Too soon to tell if there will be similar problems with those I guess.

Not yet I am not sure if they are even available yet I haven't had time to check on it. If it hasn't been work, its been Christmas shopping, or shooting the P30

·
Registered
25 Posts
I switched the mag springs to +10 on my USPc 9mm soon after I got it. It seems like it would be more important to do that with a full size since it comes with the same size spring as the compact. The +10's seem to work well and I use my Glock mag loader to give my thumbs a break.
At the gunshop I go to, they said +10's wear out your gun faster because the the OEM mag springs are the ideal strength. Since HK's and Glock use the same mag spring for different sized mags, I'm not sure I agree. That is the only place I have heard or read that and I don't know why that would be. I could see how it might create feeding problems if the stronger spring made the first couple of rounds fit in the mag too tightly. Does anyone else know more about that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
After reading this thread, I decided to order some of the Wolf springs too. I've got a USP 45c that I've put about 8000 rounds through in the past two years, and it's recently started to fail to feed on the last round of the mag. The gun has no problems extracting rounds though, and used to run flawlessly.

At first I though it might be the recoil spring since I've shot mainly full power loads, Win 230 gr JHP Personal Protection (Dept issued training ammo) through it, but this thread has made me think again.

babysitter

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I received the new springs this morning and noticed that the base of the Wolff springs don't fit around the post on the magazine base plate the way the HK springs do. Those of you using Wolff springs, did you bend the spring base to fit the base plate or are you just holding the base plate in place as you reassemble tha mags?

Any input would be appreciated.

babysitter.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
OK, I received the new springs this morning and noticed that the base of the Wolff springs don't fit around the post on the magazine base plate the way the HK springs do. Those of you using Wolff springs, did you bend the spring base to fit the base plate or are you just holding the base plate in place as you reassemble tha mags?

Any input would be appreciated.

babysitter.
The spring should seat all the way down on the base just like the OEM spring did. You shouldn't have to re-shape the bottom coil if you recieved the right springs. If it's just tight, that's fine, you can adjust the last bend of the coil slightly, but if it's more than that, you may have the wrong springs. . . by the way, did you happen to read the Mag-Spring Sticky at the top of the HK Handgun Talk page? It should tell you which springs go with your pistol. . . :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the input! I did read the sticky, and bought two packs of the #78573 for my USP 45c, so I think I have the right springs. But with that said, the spring bottom is certainly different. I'm heading out to the range now, but will post some picks of the springs when I get back.

babysitter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I just got back from the range, and the springs worked fine: not a single malfunction in 150 rounds of hollowpoints. The springs may be a little too strong for my liking though, as it now takes two hands to seat the mag with a chambered round...which would make a tactical reload nearly impossible.

And here's links to the pics I promised. Notice how the base of the Wolff spring curves towards the center of the coil while the HK spring does not.

Base of HK spring:
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=8542zcy8G&i=1082497

HK spring with base plate attached:
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=8542zcy8G&i=1082499

Base of Wolff spring:
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=8542zcy8G&i=1082498

Are these the same springs everyone else is using?

babysitter

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Looks normal to me babysitter. The tail of the last coil just looks tight for a good grip on the base. You may have to use a little bit of force to get that last coil down into place at first.

As long as it can be seated all the way down on the base (like the originals were), its fine. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts