HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back! I haven't been active on these forums in a few years now... To be honest, I've been so busy in the last 2 years with graduating college, getting a job, getting engaged, and moving to two different states that I have totally neglected my handguns by not giving them any attention. I was living in Northern Virginia (outside of DC) last year, so my lifetime Indiana carry permit didn't do me any good while I was there. Thankfully, I was relocated to North Carolina, where I should be for several years. That means it's time to get back into shooting and carrying my guns. I'm not quite sure if my lifetime Indiana permit is still valid after moving to a new state, but I'll need to look into that and get a NC permit if need be.

So on to the dilemma regarding my P2000sk (9mm 5.5lbs LEM)...

I pulled this puppy out and forgot how annoying the rattling right-side slide release lever is! I LOVE this gun, and in the past I've always told myself that the rattle isn't important because the gun is just so reliable and great otherwise. I still have to ask though.. has H&K still not addressed this issue with the P2000 and P2000sk? I did a few searches and in another thread I read that H&K has addressed this issue with the early P30s by making replacement levers with tighter tolerances. Is this true? Have they also done this with the P2000 and P2000sk? If so, that would be fantastic and I'd keep my P2000sk. If not, I'm tempted to sell it to buy a cheaper 3rd gen Glock 26 so I can put $300 back in my pocket and get a smaller gun with no annoying rattle. I realize the Glock isn't in the same league as H&K in terms of sheer reliability, but I've owned a few of their pistols before and I still have a soft spot for the 19/26..especially the 26. It's shorter and lighter than the P2000sk overall and the lack of a right-side slide release lever makes the overall width narrower. Plus that means there's nothing there to rattle. The grips are the exact same width at their widest points, so neither has an advantage there. One huge factor that's tempting me to make the switch is that I can put Heinie straight-8 sights on the Glock. Definitely my favorite sights of all time. I was disappointed that I couldn't get them for my P2000sk, but the Meprolights are still a nice 3-dot night sight so I learned to adapt to them.

Anyways..sorry for rambling on there. If anyone can tell me whether or not it's possible to replace the levers with new ones that don't rattle, I'd really appreciate it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here.

Thanks!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I believe HK offers a "slim" slide release set (see HKParts.net) but they are very hard to get hold of and aren't in stock very often. You might also try calling HK directly to see if they have any in stock or when they might be available. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do remember the slim slide releases...

I'm okay with the regular shape, but if the slim ones fit tighter and don't rattle as obnoxiously I'd be all over it. I don't know if it would affect how it fits into my custom TT Gunleather holster though. That would be a problem if it didn't fit as tight.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Someone recently posted here just attaching a bit of moleskin to the back of the slide release, creating a cushion to stop the rattle. I would think just a small square of it would probably be enough. Seems like a cheap and easy fix.

As someone who just upgraded from a Glock 26 to a P2000sk, it is insane for me to consider going back just because of the slide release rattling. It doesn't happen while its in the holster, and I can't hear it while I'm shooting, so why on Earth would I care? That's just my opinion though. I think the P2000sk offers quite a bit over the Glock 26 that I can live with some rattling.

You can also remove the right side slide release, the gun works fine without it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If your holster doesn't contact the slide release, prohibiting it from moving, get one of those felt dots with adhesive backs and stick it on your holster so it imobilizes the slide.

-john

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that they are pretty much readily available from HKParts.net. The right side lever is in stock anyways. I wonder if it would be worth asking them to find a pair that matched well, or maybe even send in my left lever and have them try to match a right lever that fits well. It's either that or take my chances, but I don't really want to take a $75 gamble at this point. I'll call H&K first, but if they can't help me then I'll have to bother the folks at HKParts.net.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Lefthanded slide 'rattle' on p2k

Had the same rattle on mine too....fixed it with a slither of 'good ol' duct tape.

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone recently posted here just attaching a bit of moleskin to the back of the slide release, creating a cushion to stop the rattle. I would think just a small square of it would probably be enough. Seems like a cheap and easy fix.

As someone who just upgraded from a Glock 26 to a P2000sk, it is insane for me to consider going back just because of the slide release rattling. It doesn't happen while its in the holster, and I can't hear it while I'm shooting, so why on Earth would I care? That's just my opinion though. I think the P2000sk offers quite a bit over the Glock 26 that I can live with some rattling.

You can also remove the right side slide release, the gun works fine without it.
I hear where you're coming from, but I'm weird and like to keep the gun around me (empty of course) when I'm just watching tv or surfing the internet. I'll randomly grab it and point just to keep my muscle memory good. It absolutely KILLS me when I hear that awful hollow rattle noise from the moment my finger touches the gun. It literally takes a beautiful German piece of art of a handgun and turns it into something that feels like a cheap toy I would play with as a kid. I'm not interested in a band-aid fix and whatever OCD I have in me would not like it if I just removed the right lever. I know it doesn't affect anything at all functionally, but the right side of the gun looks silly without it and looking at the splined part of the left slide release sticking out further than it needs to be would just annoy me that much more. I'm picky. What can I say? :)

The Glock 26 is still a reliable handgun that would serve me well for self defense. I think the shape, size, and simplicity (no rail up front and no right slide release) make it slightly more convenient for concealed carry and when I pick it up, it won't feel like a toy because of a rattling noise. Don't get me wrong, if I give up my P2000sk I would certainly replace it with a larger H&K pistol as funds permit, but for now I'm really really tempted to go with a Glock 26 because it seems like less of a hassle than trying to deal with this silly slide release issue.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I hear where you're coming from, but I'm weird and like to keep the gun around me (empty of course) when I'm just watching tv or surfing the internet. I'll randomly grab it and point just to keep my muscle memory good. It absolutely KILLS me when I hear that awful hollow rattle noise from the moment my finger touches the gun. It literally takes a beautiful German piece of art of a handgun and turns it into something that feels like a cheap toy I would play with as a kid. I'm not interested in a band-aid fix and whatever OCD I have in me would not like it if I just removed the right lever. I know it doesn't affect anything at all functionally, but the right side of the gun looks silly without it and looking at the splined part of the left slide release sticking out further than it needs to be would just annoy me that much more. I'm picky. What can I say? :)

The Glock 26 is still a reliable handgun that would serve me well for self defense. I think the shape, size, and simplicity (no rail up front and no right slide release) make it slightly more convenient for concealed carry and when I pick it up, it won't feel like a toy because of a rattling noise. Don't get me wrong, if I give up my P2000sk I would certainly replace it with a larger H&K pistol as funds permit, but for now I'm really really tempted to go with a Glock 26 because it seems like less of a hassle than trying to deal with this silly slide release issue.
Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinions, and the Glock 26 is a fine weapon. I just picked up my sk and I really have to shake it around to get it to make a sound. It is a little annoying, and I will probably put a very small piece of moleskin on there at some point. Maybe the newer ones are different in some way (mine is a BC), or maybe it will get worse with age. But the way this gun feels, fits, carries, and shoots is just worlds above the G26, FOR ME.

By the way, my Glock 26 rattles when I shake it too. I don't know what is making the sound, I believe it is something internal.

If you do decide to go that route, I have a Gen4 with 300 rounds through it that I am interested in parting with. Send me a PM if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Cp I to am from Indy I moved about a year after they offered the lifetime permit, I never did get one, but I went to dc for a while then settled down in south Carolina. I can tell you that Indiana will recognize s.carolina ccp but sc won't recognize indianas a Utah permit is good in Georgia but not in sc so I went through the headache of getting both the Utah and s. Carolina permit. I don't have anything to say about glocks good or bad. I do know that it is easier to get accessories for glocks. Just my .02 is if I was only to have one handgun I would stick with an hk. Me it would be p30 or hk45c. But for me the bigger question is if you do trade for the Glock plus cash then what are you going to do with the cash buy stuff for the Glock. Or spend it elsewhere. Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
CP! Good to see you back again! Hope all is well with you.

Glad to hear you are in NC now. I am in Raleigh. Maybe we'll shoot together sometime.

Don't give up on HK. There are many threads on how to stop the rattle. Otherwise, you could always trade for a USP Compact too (my preference over the P2000).

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CP! Good to see you back again! Hope all is well with you.

Glad to hear you are in NC now. I am in Raleigh. Maybe we'll shoot together sometime.

Don't give up on HK. There are many threads on how to stop the rattle. Otherwise, you could always trade for a USP Compact too (my preference over the P2000).
I actually work in the Research Triangle Park and live in Cary, so pretty close by. I've only been here for less than 6 months now so I haven't had the chance to check out any ranges or gun shops. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
890 Posts
CP and Orfeo, I'm in the Greensboro area and live just outside. Glad to see other "locals" on the forum. CP, the right slide release on my sk moves a good bit, up and down. Almost like it could use one more "tooth" to engage the spline. I cut a few very thin pieces of electrical tape, stacked them, and slid them between the release and the gun using tweezers, and that helped the movement. Mine does not rattle though. Just the movement. I pretty much only buy my guns at The Gun Rack in Kernersville, and do most of my pistol shooting at Caliber's in Greensboro. Welcome back to the forum.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Welcome back to the forum.
I live in Spartanburg, SC about 1 hour south of Charlotte NC.
If you all ever meet up for a group shoot in NC, let me know.
I would love to join you all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts