HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I'll say sorry in advance. I did see that post at the top about how 'holster talk' isn't supposed to be here, but since for some reason I can't post anything in the Saddlery subforum, I figured I'd put my question here so I can get some knowledge. Don't hate me too much.

Exposition first:

So I have a VP9 and a nice Kydex/Carbon Fiber IWB holster from Concealment Express. I love both a lot. Well, the gun slightly more.

Now, as I said, my question was about holster position. I'm right-handed (so is my holster, I don't do Small-Of-Back carry), and after trying out multiple positions, I've taken to putting my holster at the 10-11 o'clock position and cross-drawing.

I went to the range with a few friends recently and when they saw me draw my firearm from there for use, a few gave me some odd looks and comments that boiled down to "I don't think you ought to do that...". And ever since then, I felt a little insecure about how I carry. I suppose my emotions are that easily manipulated. Sue me.

So my question is this: Is there a standard, or at least widely accepted way that one is supposed to wear an IWB holster?

And to make things a little clearer for those who might answer, I'll say these things: I understand what people say the risks are, like how someone might be able to get at your gun from that position, etc. I feel I can deal with someone trying something from the front though.

The only thing I wasn't sure about was if my method of carry was less "respectable", in a sense. I'm aware that though I carry to defend myself and those I care about, how I go about it can reflect on the concealed and carrying community as a whole. I wasn't sure if doing things how I did was seen as "wrong" or "bad practice".

Also, I feel I should mention why I carry where I do: When I first got the holster, I gave it a serious test. I put it at 4-5 o'clock for a few days and then 1-2 for a few after that to see how it felt and if anyone noticed it. I always found one position that was uncomfortable, and I did get comments from friends who noticed I was carrying. I couldn't put it at 3 o'clock because it was just too uncomfortable. I wear it where I do because not only is it comfortable in just about every position my body moves daily, but it is the most well concealed. I'm also quite good at drawing from this position.

TL;DR: Is there a "best" or "right" way to wear an IWB holster? Am I doing it wrong wearing it at 10-11 o'clock and cross-drawing?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
If you are comfortable, concealed and able to draw safely, I see reason to worry about what anyone else thinks of your carry position.

Dennis

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
If you are comfortable, concealed and able to draw safely, I see reason to worry about what anyone else thinks of your carry position.

Dennis
I agree with that. But for me personally, I'm not that good to cross draw.

My tactical teacher (who taught me holster draw) had me start and train...train...train with my IWB holster straight up and down. After getting good with that, I now carry my P30SK with a negative cant of about 15-20 degrees. That's so I can sit down and the firearm is comfortable.

He also said that I'd collect a drawer full of holsters before finding one I like and he was somewhat right about that. The best I've found so far for my P30SK is a Comp Tec, Infidel Ultra Max. Good sturdy holster, comfortable and no print.

Hope this helps for whatever it's worth.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
Despite not being my cup of tea, I don't know that anyone can say your cross draw AIWB carry is wrong. Personally, whether IWB, OWB, or open carry; I carry at 3 o'clock. This is for a variety of reasons, and it works for me. It sounds like you've tried the various carry positions, and this works for you. Personally, I don't care for kydex (plastic) IWB holsters, preferring a leather IWB holster (Milt Sparks VM2 currently), while I do like kydex OWB holsters, again this is tailored to my personal preference. I might suggest you try traditional AIWB, just move the holster to the same location on the strong side of your belt buckle.

I would recommend you read the link to Massad's article that was posted above, and pay attention to his pros and cons, as he has researched just about everything to do with handguns. (Regarding his article, I particularly appreciated his mention of the late Todd Louis Green (RIP), a true pistolero, a friend to this forum, and a hell of an instructor)

In short I'd tell your friends to mind their own business

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is no "right way", only your way.

I tried IWB from 3-5 o'clock. I did not care for it at all. I tried AIWB at 1-2 o'clock, and it was the best for me.

I would cross-draw or Sonny Crockett shoulder carry, if I was comfortable with it.

If you researched the options, understand the risk/benefits, and practice to carry safely, then carry where you prefer.

I would never tell someone they are carrying "wrong". Your life, your choice.

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I'm going to hijack this thread a bit:

Since it was mentioned by boriedd704;

who on this thread knows who "Sonny Crockett" is, and understands the "Sonny Crockett shoulder carry" reference. I only ask because anymore when I mention "Crockett" when teaching classes, I get crickets. No one understands the reference, which kills me......

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
I think it was only on the air 5 or 6 years.
Miami Vice (TV Series 1984?1990) - IMDb
Oh, I'm well aware of when it was on, grew up watching it. And I loved the Miami Classic holster, so much so I bought one many years ago, don't wear it much/ever anymore. I just find people miss the reference anymore, specifically when referring to Crockett's fully locked out "low ready," and when I contrast it with Magnum's muzzle up ready position, I get crickets and head scratches for a response... occasionally there is someone old enough to understand what I'm saying, and I'll get a laugh.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was in high school when Miami Vice was being filmed 3 hours south of me.
The pastel colors, big hair, and wearing loafers with no socks was the rage.

Those were the days....

I found this image of the holster that all of the cool kids wanted in the 80's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts