HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ah how I love the first Saturday of the month. Stock gun match at my gun club. I'm still the only HK shooter out there. I keep wondering why. A boat load of 1911's and for giggles I kept track of how many jam's I saw. There were 6 in my squad. 4 1911's all had jams, the best performance was only one jam that cleared in a couple of seconds. the worst was ... well, it's was good that we had a 1911 gun smith among us with tools.
My HK once again shot flawlessly. Never the slightest hitch. I moved up in the ranks nicely. My new grip is working very well for me. I'm right handed with a v.1 and I'm gently pressing my strong hand thumb against the slide release. I have seen in other threads were some have run into slide lock back problems when doing this but I don't seem to have that problem. Riding my hands that high has really helped get tip flip under control too. My bigest improvement, quick taping second rounds. Thanks to y'all for some great tips that I picked up here and there through these threads. I only had 4 shots outside the A zone out of a very long course of 188 rounds.
I'm not talking about the Texas Star but yes I did have to dip into the 5th box of ammo by 2 rounds. Now SOME of those were make up rounds on the paper, ok?
Final tally when the day was done. Top score in the club was some ridiculous number under 100 (86). In the intermediate division I was 4th with a score of 198. Overall 12 out of 28. I'm shooting stock HK USP 40f, 10 round mags, out of a level 3 retention holster. Most of them are shooting race guns, many with red dots, hi caps out of a speed holster. For this match they don't have divisions like limited and open.
I'm definitely starting to feel a little more confidant with the basic mechanics. I keep looking at all those 1911 jams. That's ok. I have heard all the controversy about trigger and hi center, but one jam takes a lot more time than those very tiny fractions. Not to mention my life may depend on it some day! They're all jammed up and I'm just jamin'.

·
Registered
893 Posts
You know its really funny to me that you bring that up, as I'd had that thought quite a few times. I am the only guy that shoots an HK (USP 45) in the three gun matches I go to. There is always a lot of talk about who did someguys 1911, what they had to file down to make it work, what they have to load the rounds to to make it cycle, whos mags work in their gun, etc, etc, etc. And I just laugh (on the inside) because I have a bone stock USP that in the many many rounds put through it, has never failed to go bang, and its just as accurate as the next guys super race gun 1911. I don't have to worry about, don't have to spend a fortune.
** The ONLY complaint I have about it is that for the night matches the rotary switches on the X200 are just way to far forward to switch without adjusting your grip. I've gotten into the habbit of switching with the off hand. This is because the trigger guard is so darned long.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats man!

I've experienced about the same though with jams. My HK has never failed me, a couple thousand rounds so far in just a few weeks. My Kimber though gives me a little trouble every now and then.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and a Kimber too. Aren't they suposed to be the high end, top of the line, tigher specks that anyone?
HKs go bang

·
Registered
53 Posts
and a Kimber too. Aren't they suposed to be the high end, top of the line, tigher specks that anyone?
HKs go bang
Well, not quite "high end, top of the line, tighter specks that anyone". That'd be a custom from Wilson, Nighthawk, or the likes.

Yes, I expect a $1000 pistol to operate well, but I also know that the 1911 can be a finicky piece at times.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
::smiles his jolly smile::
couldn't resist taking a little poke at Kimber. They are very nice... for a 1911. Oups there I did it again. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Way to go!

Congrats on you match! I also use a USP 40f in IDPA and always finish in the top 10. As far as High End 1911's go, they are like High Maintenance women : If you don't tend to their expensive needs, they'll take a Dump on you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts