HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone I've been lurking here for a while I have a few questions for the PTR experts. I found a new in the box JLD PTR-91A1 with an A12** serial number at the local fun store. I looked in the chamber from the back of the ejection port and couldn't really see the fluting guess it starts deeper in than an HK chamber? Is this early model one of the week trunnion models or maybe week welds? I like the rifle but all the news about week trunnions, over sized barrel pins causing cracked trunnions and bad welds and tight chambers makes me very nervous. Could you guys tell if this one is a safe bet? Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to the PTR website that number A1,,,etc. wasn't among the ones they found over-hardened trunnions.
WK0001 – WK0250
DK0001 – DK0360
DW0430 – DW0710
AW7950 – AW8360
GI0001 – GI0260

http://www.ptr91.com/news/ Toward the middle of the page.

I bought NIB a PTR-91GI - green stock - at Centerfire Systems for $899.00. They said there were several more on the shelf.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They want $1,100. for this one and it has the bipod and fore arm with the Wilson target barrel. I ride also K1 1K and a 98 SRAD750 both B/W. Thanks for the info, that is for the over sized barrel pins cracking the trunnions on the newer ones. I heard that the very early ones had the over heated soft trunnions and this one is a very early one, I want to buy it but also wanna be sure I not buying a known issue version. I've heard that all the A series serial # JLDs are good to go but some have issues as well that's why I'm wondering what the experts have to say. Seems no one wants to reopen the can of worms, so I'm not going to take the dive. Looks like an AR or Springfield platform is the safer bet?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The JLD A#12** are some of the best ones they made. I have a JLD91k A#53** with a wilson barrel and it runs flawless with surplus and is very accurate . You should be fine with this serial range. Soft trunions were in the first few hundred rifles, they were over heating them when they welded them.Yous is well beyond that era.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks tcr, the serial is A12##, it's a single alpha A then four consecutive numbers. I read this article --> Horus Vision : System 5 which in JLD's own words made me vervous? The article didn't state the serial number range but it makes it seem that some of the "Best ones" also had problems? Read the second to last paragrapgh? Thanks Again

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have that issue of Guns and Weapons from 2005 because in February of that year I purchased my first PTR91. It was s/n A132x. This rifle is very accurate and currently sports a Cherokee Accessories cheekpiece, Harris bipod, Hensoldt Z24 scope, and Bill Springfield trigger job. The only issue I ever had from it was that after about 150 rounds of South African surplus ammo, the residue would cause the action to stop. A short cleaning time with some Hoppe's #9 solvent would put me back into action for another 150 or so rounds. This ammo was some of the so-called "tar sealed" ammo that gave trouble to a lot of 91 owners. (I even spoke with a fellow who owned an original HK91 which seized up with the gunk from this ammo.) My gun would run forever on Portuguese, Santa Barbara, Pakistani, and American Eagle ammo. (Never tired any other ammo.) But back to your question at hand. I remember all the discussions here and on other boards about the very early PTR rifles having minimum chamber specs that caused issues with surplus ammo. These early rifles (the ones referenced in the second to last paragraph in G & W) were those with serial numbers below A600. This A1200 rifle is good to go. The only drawback that I see is the price. I would think $900 is more of what the market is showing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I took a closer look at it today and found the trigger housing was loose front to back about an 1/8", seems maybe the clip and pin was done a little on the loose side or something? Anyway it turned me off, also the salesman said it was never fired and I found quite a bit of carbon inside the trunnion and scratches from a claw mount on the under side of the receiver nubbs. The flute count looked to be about 10 and very faint and shallow in the rear and then got deeper towards the bore. B/G measured .014, and it had an FMP carrier and bolt. I think I'm going to pass on this one, unless maybe the loose trigger housing could be repaired easily? The housing had the single half moon front pin hole on the rear tail. What's the concensus on the loose trigger housing ? Would a new housing with two full pin holes fix it? or is that a bandaid fix? Thanks

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Some lowers do slide very little, the factory lower WOULD NOT HAVE moved,as long as it stays up on the shelf,it isn,t an issue The rear stock should have 2 hk pins ,thats what keeps it from sliding alittle. If its a brand new rifle it will still have some fouling from test firing. But they did not come with a clipped & pinned lower from the factory. It probably came with a metal lower with S E letters and no F. i have one of these lowers if you need it. It does not sound BRAND NEW. The barrel is fine and so are the flutes. Look for a nicer one if you feel unsure.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The plastic C&P,ed lower may still move because it was not specifically fit to the weapon at the SHELF area.. Get the PTR SF U.S. made lower with the 2 holes. Thats what they come with now. If you do a clip &pin , they fit best if custom fit to the receiver. So it has a navy lower without the 2 holes in it? I use the PTR U,S. made lowers,they fit TIGHT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That sounds like I have to send the rifle out to get the housing fit? This early A1 came with this housing stock they later switched to the metal housing, I read about it some where while researching this. Yes this early original navy has only one half pin hole, so a new two pin hole is a gamble on fit? The trigger housing only moves or slides straight front to back on the receiver, not up and down.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
That sounds like I have to send the rifle out to get the housing fit? This early A1 came with this housing stock they later switched to the metal housing, I read about it some where while researching this. Yes this early original navy has only one half pin hole, so a new two pin hole is a gamble on fit? The trigger housing only moves or slides straight front to back on the receiver, not up and down.
Thats pretty common[ the sliding] when people start using different lowers. Get the PTR U.S. made SF navy lower for $99 from adam at HKparts. The 2 hole c&p,ed lower is a gamble, NOT the PTR 1 hole U.S. made. I use the PTR lowers on both my JLD,s they fit super tight w/no movement. Just my exp.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Double trouble

The U.S navy lower on the bottom JLD91k. And, the SE early JLD steel lower on the top 91k, which slides a little. But does not affect function. It came with a U.S. ptr lower like the lower one. HHAAAAAA, I wish i could see the damn rifle in QUESTION.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice rigs there. OK the PTR US I saw on Adam's site has one full pin hole and shortened tail, wouldn't the one with two full pin holes hold the housing better and tighter? How much does yours slide? I felt the housing slide when I pulled the cocking handle and thought what the He** ?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
The 2 holed c&p,ed lower may fit tight,but its still a gamble. The PTR Lowers seem to fit perfect. Just my exp. bro. I have many lowers though. The steel sef lower that ghillie c&p,d for my FMP build,fits super tight. But he custom fits them to the rifles shelf.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate it. So if I can pick this one up for $850.-900. it's a good deal? I don't mind changing out the housing if that's going to be the only issue with this A1. Ghillie does some sweet work I'm just hoping I wont need his services for this one. Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
One thing we need to understand is:pTR welds their shelfs and the pushpin tubes in the rear holes to HK specs;BUT, its possible some times for certain lowers to slide back & forth , move up and down[ is BAD] . Some times one lower & backplate combination fits together tighter than OTHERS. Hope you understand. The PTR stock U.S. navy lowers on both my JLD91k,s fit perfect. ALL c&p,d lowers are not of the same SOURCE., and may not fit properly. If the shelf is welded to low by WHOEVER, then the up/down movement may need to be assest. My steel SE early JLD lower moves about an 1/8 of an inch when aggressively handled. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was the PTR in CT?

I was looking at a similar JLD PTR 91 in CT. Salesman told me it was unfired, but I didn't look closely. Wondering if we were looking at the same rifle. Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts