HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much are these worth? Are they as accurate as HK guns? With an added scope, stock, and trigger job can these be used effectively in competition shooting?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I guess there are many variables as to what something is worth, but Atlanticfirearmsdotcom has them for sale there in various configurations.

I think you will find that the accuracy factor differs as much between examples of the same rifle as they do between manufacturers. You may get a really sweet rifle that shoots really good, or you might not. My PTR91 shoots right at a MOA all day with pretty much any ammo I feed it. I am quite happy with the rifle.

I used it twice in competition: once in a 3 gun match, and once in a "tactical rifle" match. You sure can use them in competition, but the cumulative effects of recoil and the cost of ammunition favor a smaller cartridge, such as the 223.

A couple photos of mine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. That's a sweet rifle you have there. Are there any big differences between the PTR and a real HK91?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I see. That's a sweet rifle you have there. Are there any big differences between the PTR and a real HK91?
Thanks guys for the compliments on the rifle. It is really, very nearly, ideal for my purposes.

There are others who know more about the differences, but as I am led to understand, the barrel contour is different, the number of cuts or "flutes" in the chamber is different, and the rifling patterns may be different... some HK91's had a polygonal bore similar to that of the Glock pistol, and the PTR doesn't come set up with a bayonet socket on the cocking tube.

The PTR has a straight or nearly straight profile to the barrel, while the G3 or HK 91 has several different diameters for the grenade launching ring, or other similar military reasons. The PTR has fewer flutes in the chamber, which, at least according to some, is supposed to moderate the recoil a little better at the cost of perhaps having some failures to extract. (Note: I have not had a single failure to extract or eject attributable to the chamber or the number of flutes in my PTR, only that the ejector lever stopped lifting itself high enough to reliably eject spent cartridges... PTR Enterprises fixed it just fine.)

It is probably optimistic to say so, but the number of very favorable reports on the accuracy of the PTR series of rifles leads *me* to believe that they are likely, on the whole, more accurate than the HK91 series. I have read here on this board that the HK91 typically groups in the 2 MOA or larger sizes most frequently. Many PTR owners on here report 1 MOA sized groups typically. Myself I am surprised at the level of consistent accuracy I get from my PTR rifle, although it requires 6 or so fouling shots to really settle in to a consistent grouping.

Hope this helps you in your quest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have one too

i love my ptr! i want a stock like you have on yours, the adjustable grip, and the german scope and mount that allows you to take off the scope and mount and keep your zero. as far as recoil goes, i think the ptr is not much worst that an ar15 in 223. i feel i get alot more bang for my buck (pun intended) with the ptr. i plan to use mine when i hunt with some coreloks if it's raining and save my blr for nice days.

Z

·
0 Posts
question for stubbicatt

i really like your rifle. Especially the stock. Can you tell me what the LOP for that would be in its most closed position. I have really short arms and I need something with a LOP about 12.5-13.0 inches

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
i really like your rifle. Especially the stock. Can you tell me what the LOP for that would be in its most closed position. I have really short arms and I need something with a LOP about 12.5-13.0 inches

Thanks
That's a PSG1 stock - you're looking about $700 for it. But it can adjust to pretty much anybody.

I really like it, too. :)

Z

·
0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Dave...I knew those were expensive, doesn't someone else make a similar one? Do you know how much it is?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think the stock is made by Magpul Industries.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have one similar to the ones above, with trigger job and IGF muzzle break and a G3 heavy 2 stage buffer. Very capable of 1 MOA without trying real hard. Next on the list for this winter is having the JLD PSG-1 receiver rails installed, more for the heck of it than anything else. It is very much on par with my M1A loaded that is warmed over with match goodies.

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts