HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this board, but not to firearms. Been an enthusiast since childhood, worked in the firearms business while going to college as well.

Would like some feedback on a recent purchase, please. I have done research, but am still new to HK91/G3/PTR, and roller lock in general.

Picked up a used JLD PTR 91F (sn A45**). Bolt gap measured about 0.43mm. Was told the rifle has 300rds Aussie though it.

Carrier markings- Diamond encompassed in a circle with numbers 08/64 next to it. Number 501 on bottom of carrier.

Bolt markings- P-4/04-43

Locking piece markings- number 674 very lightly visible on it.

Trigger mechanism- in plastic navy housing, hammer says JLD on it. Has had Bill Springfield trigger job.

Barrel- 10 flutes, 8 grooves, IIRC.

Stock- Looks like FMP stock, with HK wide front. However, no buffer.

Who are most of these parts produced by? I can't figure some of them out.
Is it a big deal that there is no buffer? All that is there is a plastic butt held on by 2 flatheads.

Lastly, it is rather difficult to insert and remove mags. There is definitely lots of resistance towards the front of the magwell. I checked to see if it was dented, and it looked OK. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Looks like carrier is a Rheinmetall production.

Bolt is POF. Barrel is Wilson.

Is the buffer needed for reliable operation? Will any damage occur without it?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have the K model in this serial range and these are the best builds they ever made. The wilson barrels have 8groove rifling and are very accurate. JLD builds were hands down THE BEST built clones made. All made with mostly HK parts. I have 2 JLD enterprises rifles and they are hands down better fit & finish then the new PTR INC. builds will ever be,especially the crappy looking G.I. model that has all the us parts. They both have held bolt gap,no cracked/soft trunions and shoot like real hk,s. Buy it,or i will.LOL Mine have Hk parts all over em.Welds are perfect. buffers and backplates marked HK. I just don,t like the new rifles with all the untested u.S. parts. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have the K model in this serial range and these are the best builds they ever made. The wilson barrels have 8groove rifling and are very accurate. JLD builds were hands down THE BEST built clones made. All made with mostly HK parts. I have 2 JLD enterprises rifles and they are hands down better fit & finish then the new PTR INC. builds will ever be,especially the crappy looking G.I. model that has all the us parts. They both have held bolt gap,no cracked/soft trunions and shoot like real hk,s. Buy it,or i will.LOL Mine have Hk parts all over em.Welds are perfect. buffers and backplates marked HK. I just don,t like the new rifles with all the untested u.S. parts. Enjoy
I too have a K model in the A30xx ser# range, & it is a perfect gun, far superior to recent PTR builds. Loves the SA ammo that chokes the PTR guns. To the OP, you did well, now go shoot that thing. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
496 Posts
Is the buffer needed for reliable operation? Will any damage occur without it?
Welcome!
Not sure what it is you have installed in your stock, but yes buffer is needed for proper operation and to avoid damage to the receiver.
If interested, PM me. We can exchange email addresses and maybe you could send me a pic of what is in the place a buffer should be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome!
Not sure what it is you have installed in your stock, but yes buffer is needed for proper operation and to avoid damage to the receiver.
If interested, PM me. We can exchange email addresses and maybe you could send me a pic of what is in the place a buffer should be.
Installed in the stock is a rubber bumper in place of the buffer. In fact it is not even rubber, it's hard plastic.
Why would they put that in instead of a buffer, cost?

Can I shoot the rifle with the bumper, or should I wait until I get a proper buffer?

I have ordered 500rds of lake city M80. So we will see if it likes it. It was 13 bucks a box and free shipping, damn goodeal.

So do you guys have issues with mags fitting tightly?

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is pretty spot on, but the one in my rifle looks even cheaper.

Anyway, I ended up ordering this unit... genuine HK part.
HK Single Stage Buffer - HKPARTS.NET
I have one of those myself in a newer PTR, works great. As said earlier, the JLDs are some of the best clones out there and should eat most any ammo. The only problem is you will want more once HK fever takes hold :wink:

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have one of those myself in a newer PTR, works great. As said earlier, the JLDs are some of the best clones out there and should eat most any ammo. The only problem is you will want more once HK fever takes hold :wink:
This is very true,LOL. He should just get the standard G3 buffer so he can use the screw thru the back inside buttstock. HKparts does not explain or even give you the proper screw with the msg90 buffer. I used the wrong screw and now its cross threaded cause adam DOES NOT clarify this at hkparts. Just get the standard G-3 buffer if you want it installed properly.He needs to sell the proper rear screw for this buffer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is very true,LOL. He should just get the standard G3 buffer so he can use the screw thru the back inside buttstock. HKparts does not explain or even give you the proper screw with the msg90 buffer. I used the wrong screw and now its cross threaded cause adam DOES NOT clarify this at hkparts. Just get the standard G-3 buffer if you want it installed properly.He needs to sell the proper rear screw for this buffer.
Isn't the buffer end screw optional? Most of my stocks don't have the inner buffer sleeve, so I've never used the screw on the end. Doesn't appear to have any effect on the operation of the buffer. I prefer the enhanced buffer over the heavy buffer 'cus it doesn't require any fitting of the stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received my enhanced buffer from HKPARTS today. Have suspicions it may be defective. I cannot push down the plunger with anything other than a vise. Leaned into the wall with all my weight and might, and could not get it to budge. Put it in the vise, and was able to get it to move all the way in and back out. Are these things supposed to be that tough?

Also cannot remove the old rubber "bumper" buffer from the stock. One of the flat heads stripped. Not sure how I am going to get it out now. Maybe drill it out and use an extractor.
Took the buttpad off the stock, and cannot get that back on either.
Think I made a bad choice with this rifle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I managed to get the old "buffer" out of the stock. It appeared to be a stock G3 buffer with the internals removes and a rubber insert instead. The *******s at JLD decided it was a bright idea to put RED LOCTITE on the flat head screws. Thus my intense trouble with getting them out.

Now my next problem is.... the new enhanced buffer will not fit the stock. This is an original FMP stock. It was my understanding that the enhanced buffer was supposed to fit with no modifications?
It only goes about half way in. With the flange sitting at about the 1st stock pin hole.

What does this mean? Do I need to drill the stock all the way through and only use the flat heads at the flange?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have the Buttpad off the Buttstock, look into the stock along near the top. Is there anything inside?
Yes, there is an insert to fit the stock buffer. It is loosened and floating around in the stock now. This way the enhanced buffer can fit.
I got the buttpad back on too. It just took some grease on the spring clamps to make it go in easier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts