HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned hundred of hunting and target rifles but have never owned or shot a handgun. Recently I purchased a SIG P226R Tactical. I did research this quite a bit. My problem is after looking deeper into this I REALLY like the looks of the HK USP 45. I paid $1029 for the SIG and the HK in tactical version .45 caliber is roughly the same price. Did I make a mistake here? I haven't shot the SIG yet. I wanted a 9mm initially because I plan on shooting it A LOT and figured the ammunition for a 9mm would be much less expensive. Any comments would be welcomed and appreciated.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I don't think you made a mistake by going the SIG route. The only thing I question about this purchase is why do you necessarily need a "Tactical" model? I can understand the HK Tactical in that it comes with different sights, but unless you plan on attaching a suppressor or for some odd reason a flash hider, the 226 Tactical is kind of pointless considering the money. If you intend on some sort of muzzle device, then disregard the above statement.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I was wary about Sigs, but they intrigued me, so I thought I would ease in slowly with a factory refurbished police trade in 226. It is a little rough around the edges, but it is a great gun.......I have since bought 3 more Sigs because of it, and intend on purchasing more.

The Sigs and HK's are both fantastic guns.....I personally don't much care for the feel of the USP's, but I do appreciate and respect them for what they are. It all depends on your preference.

I do think you made a good choice in the 9mm. If you bought the gun for target shooting/plinking and the occasional self defense, I would say that you are on track. It is a very accurate, reliable, and an easy weapon to learn to shoot.

Perhaps what I would have done in your shoes would be to have taken the money you spent on the one gun, bought a Sig Mosquito as sort of a training gun and then made the decision before just diving in and spending $1k on my first handgun.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
Sigs are excellent pistols, especially 9mm P226's! Shot the crap out of it and you will not be disappointed. It's a beautiful pistol and you will be happy with it.

I agree with pointblank, the P226 Tactical does not have as many features as a standard P226 when compared to a USP and USP Tactical. But Sigs have good out of the box triggers and are accurate enough.

Enjoy your pistol and post some pictures or send some to me!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have three Sig pistols and an HK pistol as well. You will not go wrong with the Sig and given the opportunity you might want to buy an HK and keep the Sig.

If you want the HK, buy it.

One last word of warning, don't buy the Sig Mosquito, it is the only Sig firearm that I would not buy (again).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for advice fellas. I decided to go with the SIG. It was shipped out today. As far as getting the tactical, I liked the look of the gun as well as being able to add a suppressor in the future if I so desired. Since this is my first handgun I decided it would be best to master it before jumping up to a larger caliber. When that time comes I will more than likely purchase an HK USP model. My hunting buddy who owns many hand guns has already warned me that I'm going to eventually want a .45 caliber. I guess it's probably a foregone conclusion that I'm going to purchase one in the future.
I appreciate all the replies. There's nothing like making a purchase and then thinking that you may have made a bad decision. I'm glad that to hear that isn't the case. I'll post pictures when it arrives.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have nothing bad to say about SIG but they just don't point as naturally for me as the HK's do. Since you are going to wait a while anyway you might check out the HK45 when it gets here, whenever that may be since HK is draggin their feet on this one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This may seem too self evident but try to shoot some different models of USP, Sig, etc before you buy. Once you get into the higher quality arms you almost can't go wrong design-and manufacture-wise, but the personal fit becomes something that should be high on your list of look-ats.
Not that I did this, of course, bought Glock, sold it for Sig. Sold Sig for HK. The HK's just fit me better, quality wise I will probally never do anything that would expose any difference in the quality of any of these three. I own HKs because they fit and I shoot better groups than I did with the others. Oh yeah, they're cool too.
If I only had to have one it would be the PSP. No wait, the 9 mm Expert. Well OK, the PSP. No, I cannot NOT have the Expert.
Beware HK, buying more and more of them seems to be a common theme.

PSP
9 mm Expert
USP 45c
HK4
Kahr CW9
S&wW 686+
Sig Trailside

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does!!! TJ

Hey pal your ironic intentions are funny and real cute!!!

Let's see how well your typos come out after a 20hour shift of some serious labor........ Also with hands that wear a size 3XL glove. Then get back to me on how you spell does!!

P.S. Turbo Supra, What's it like to live in a state where you can't get a CCW? Unless, you work in law enforcement???

·
Registered
163 Posts
Stupid is as stupid dose
Ironic considering the misspelling of "does"... ;)

I am a HUGE fan of Sig pistols. I own 6 now. Can't go wrong with any P226 in 9mm. Probably one of the finest semi-auto handguns ever, in my opinion. I personally don't feel the Tactical offers enough extras to justify the added cost, but any Sig is a good Sig. :)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
While it is fairly well known I am not at all a fan of Sig pistols (don't like the feel of them) I have not heard much bad about them. The little bit of bad I have heard about them I have also heard about every other brand out there. So I doubt you will regret your purchase.

I also think you made a good decision on choosing the 9mm. It is a nice affordable round to shoot. Shooting it is the most important thing of all because it helps with shot placement. The true key to ending a bad situation. Go spend some time with it on the range, get some good HPs for it and everything will be fine.

That said, go look at the HKs and if you still want one get it. That is one I know you won't regret.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have several SIG pistols, and the 226 9mm is my fullsize favorite. Its so light recoiling and is the easiest to shoot and most acurate pistol I own.

I just wish I ould shoot my USPc and SK as well.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
While it is fairly well known I am not at all a fan of Sig pistols (don't like the feel of them) I have not heard much bad about them. The little bit of bad I have heard about them I have also heard about every other brand out there. So I doubt you will regret your purchase.......
For me I came from the P220 and the control layout is the most comfortable to me besides a 1911. This is definitely something to consider when purchasing the pistols since the layouts are very different. It can be a non-factor due to the shooting style, but for me the USP layout feels weird (with my two thumbs facing front and high near the bottom of the slide) since my thumbs tend to ride up on the controls whereas they don't with the Sig.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sig 226

I personally own 15 Sig pistols in every caliber and almost every configuration, and I absolutely love them all. I've owned 9 mm Glocks, Beretta's, Smith's, and yes even HK's, but have traded them all off (except for the HK) in favor of the Sig's. Again, it all comes down to how well the pistol fits and "feels" in your hand, and for me Sig wins hands down. I've had on 226 for almost 20 years now and have yet to have even one hiccup. You won't be dissappointed in your purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input Chubs. My FFL just received shipment yesterday. I went in and filled out all the paperwork and now I have to wait 72hrs before I can pick it up. I'll post pics and my review next week after I've had a chancet to take it to the range. I had the chance to look at a P2000 and and I like it as a potential carry weapon. Do you have a recommendation as far as a potential carry firearm in a Sig? Thanks again for the comments.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
For me I came from the P220 and the control layout is the most comfortable to me besides a 1911. This is definitely something to consider when purchasing the pistols since the layouts are very different. It can be a non-factor due to the shooting style, but for me the USP layout feels weird (with my two thumbs facing front and high near the bottom of the slide) since my thumbs tend to ride up on the controls whereas they don't with the Sig.
Well to each his own...but for me the issue isn't really control layout it is the angle of the pistol grip. The sig "feels" too straight up and down for me. It just isn't canted enough.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love my Sig. I love my USP. but I find no reason to own a 9mm HK... Not saying Sig is better, they both are best of the best.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sig's are terrific guns, you wont regret it.

I just bought a p226 .40sw, and cant wait to pick it up.

I like HK's too, and have nothing bad to say about them, besides them not bringing the P30L to the US.

One thing you'll notice, is that HK fans wont say anything bad about Sig's and Sig fans wont say anything bad about HK's. Seems like there's a lot of respect on both sides, and rightfully so.

Although both Sig and HK guys poke fun at Glock's :100000:

·
Registered
195 Posts
My Sig P220 Match is my least favorite. Had problems with FTE. Sigs customer service people answer the phone, but aside from that, they are not the best customer service. Gun had to go back to Sig twice for the same problem - just got it back so I am not sure if it is fixed.

This will be my Last Sig.

BTW - not to promote something other than an H&K because I love my H&Ks if you want something that shoots unbelievably you have to try a S&W 9mm 952 long slide. It is an amazing gun. It is not made for the same purpose as an HK Elite or Expert (which we have both of) but for accuracy you can not beat it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a used 226 that I paid $450 out the door, and it's great.

It's impossible to find a USP / P2000 for that price.

I wouldn't pay the same price for a Sig that I would for an HK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts