HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Just bought a VP9, I was just wondering what you liked to use to clean these? I know hk has a cleaning kit for sale. But what other options do I have?

Thanks-Gaspare

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Second on using Hoppe's 9.....it does a great job. After cleaning with it I follow up with Barrisol.
Barrisol is a cleaner aswell, but I prefer the Hoppe's for that.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Mpro7 products, all I have ever used, Hoppes and MPro7, though similar are not the same, though same parent company owns them (IIRC).

Asking about cleaning products you're going to get a zillion different opinions, favorites, all I know is stay away from FrogLube (numerous threads and experience of some of my friends) and if I were you, I'd be using products from same company (Cleaner, Oil, grease, etc.) for compatibility in the chemistry. I also prefer products that are non-toxic and biodegradable, some of the old school Hoppes are not.

You can also go with Mobil 1 synthetic oil, auto trans fluid, and other non-firearm specific, there's a lot of threads on use of these type products.

Some of my HKs are approaching 20K rounds and when cleaned up, appear as close to new as you're going to get.

There's a ton of youtube tests around this as well, "Plate of truth" seems to be fairly consistent testing methodology as a point of reference.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I will echo Hoppe's 9 because it smells sooo good lol and Breakfree CLP. Those should last you decades if you clean your pistols every 500 rounds or range trip, as others noted HK is notoriously reliable thousand of rounds, check out the reference section for some interesting read of pistols not cleaned and fired until broken...

I use an old toothbrush for the CLP, lightly spray a drop or two and scrub away the parts that metal moves, get a toothpick like tool, wrap an old t-shirt around the end and clean the little gunk residue. Repeat as necessary, wear gloves so you won't glow at night after a few years of cleaning your pistol.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Most of the time I just wipe carbon off, run Bore-Snake a few times, apply some CLP or red grease to moving metal parts, and smear a bit of DOT5 silicone based brake fluid to the areas which get carbon.

Areas with a lot of hard carbon build up like the muzzle with suppressor use get scrubbed with a wire brush.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have found using my preferred product line, MP7, I rarely if ever have to resort to a brush, gun cleaner removes easily where LPX doesn't.

FWIW, I used to clean my guns every range trip, now 9mm about every 1K rounds, 45acp somewhere between 500-1K, with no accuracy issues.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Good news is, no issues running 'dirty' and they still look new once I do clean them.

I did go 2K rounds between cleaning once on a VP9 just to see if she'd not be happy, and got no complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another M-Pro7 fanboy here. I have Otis, Breakfree, FP-10, Lucas, Hoppe's, Shooters Choice, Gun Slick, TW25B, Militec, Shooters Choice Gun Grease, and others but I find myself using the M-Pro7 the most. It doesn't appear to "burn off" and their cleaner does a great job at removing carbon and other gunk. I shoot about 2000 rounds a month, not a lot so take it for what it's worth... I like a separate cleaner and a separate lubricant. I have a hard time believing that an all in one cleaner lubricant protectant does everything really well compared to a cleaner that is designed solely to clean and a lubricant solely to lubricate.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Another M-Pro7 fanboy here. I have Otis, Breakfree, FP-10, Lucas, Hoppe's, Shooters Choice, Gun Slick, TW25B, Militec, Shooters Choice Gun Grease, and others but I find myself using the M-Pro7 the most. It doesn't appear to "burn off" and their cleaner does a great job at removing carbon and other gunk. I shoot about 2000 rounds a month, not a lot so take it for what it's worth... I like a separate cleaner and a separate lubricant. I have a hard time believing that an all in one cleaner lubricant protectant does everything really well compared to a cleaner that is designed solely to clean and a lubricant solely to lubricate.
Agreed, I've tried pretty much most all of the above as well. As Venom points out, MP7 stays put and the separate cleaner and oil (LPX is a CLP for field use) are superior to all in one clean/lubes. Going 1K or more rounds between cleanings, MP7 makes it easier to get off the carbon (that actually accumulates) than other products I've used.....YMMV

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’ve always used Hoppes and Ballistol as well as TW25b on rails (especially on my Sig and CZs). All work great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts