HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just bought an HK USP .45 Tactical. (Pictured on the right) So far I love it. I love the feel. After cleaning out the shipping grease and getting the new gun jitters out the weapon is dead on accurate. Here's a picture of it next to my historical S&W model 39. (on the left). that 39 had been my gun since my dad gave it to me as a sort of right of passage thing after I got my CCW. I've always liked the feel of it. It's a good pistol, but It was time for me to go my own way and finally choose my own. I loved the feel of the Mark 23 from the first moment I handled one I knew it was a special firearm. I just couldn't quite justify putting 2k into a handgun right now, and the Mark 23 seemed somewhat bulky for CC. Thus I chose the USP tactical as it still seemed to have a lot of the functionalities of the Mark 23 but was less than half the price and just a tad smaller and lighter. I'm still hoping to use it for CCW and have ordered a custom inside the waistband holster for it. I hope its not too hard to conceal in T-shirt and jeans. Either way I love that gun so far, and it seems to function so well at the range. I really seem to notice the recoil reduction as it seems to recoil less than my model 39 which is a 9mm.

Also my model 39 has a horrible habbit of FTE after shooting it for a while if you don't clean it after a few magazines. Do any of you have any advice for that? It's like it starts to pull the shell out but then the extractor lets go and the spent shell is half in the chamber still and of course the slide has already tried to strip another off of the magazine and ram it in there which won't work and presto jammo. I don't know, that gun is well over 30 years old, my dad bought it before I was even born, but has been kept in great condition. Is there something I might need to replace?

Also do any of you have any advice for my new USP? I read in the instructions that I'm not supposed to use an oil that claims it can penatrate metal, but on all the labels of gun oil I come across they say they penatrate. Also I hear mention of a silicone gun cloth here on the forums but I've always used a cotton cloth, what can you tell me about this? And it might be my imagination but it looked like some of the blueing came off of the barrel and the inside of the slide when I cleaned it with the solvent for the first time. It was like it was thinner in those areas and I could see some metallic shine coming through. Is that normal and expected or did I screw something up? Thanks for any help or comments! And I know. I won't be able to stop with just one HK. That's how it goes!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, you have made a good choice. What IWB holster did you order?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks, I ordered one from Blade-Tech industries. I may be Naive but I figured the best chance of getting one that really would fit a USP tactical would be to choose one that lets you actually choose the weapon from a list on their website. It felt safer than those that list off a whole line of guns that will fit one holster or that only give measurements.

And I see your name is "sixfootbrit", also risking sounding naive or presumptuous, I didn't think the UK's gun laws were conducive to much of a handgun or pistol market? Can you tell me anything about that? I'm always interested in learning new things.

Below is the order information on the holster, at least as how they emailed it to me. estimated 4 weeks manufacture time they say.

Product: In the Waistband IWB (IDPA APPROVED)
Quantity: 1
Selected options:
Attachment: J-Hook 1.50" belt
Cant: Adjustable SD/FBI
Color: Black
Revolver Barrel Length: 0 N/A
Shooter Hand: Right Hand
Weapon Code: HK USP Tactical 45

·
Registered
65 Posts
Blade Tech make a nice holster, thanks for the info. Yes I am originally from England, but have lived here in the States for 16 years. The gun laws in the UK are very restrictive, no live firing HK's for civilians, but a good thriving market in deactivated guns and airsoft clones. Pity the British Government has such a backward view on matters such as self-defence etc, not a bad place to live otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Congrats on the new Tact!

The silcone cloths should be avabale at any sporting good store. Or any large sporting good supply!! Cabella's is one.

I think you will find the USP Tach in Full size to be a very wonderful weapon!! Happy & Safe Shooting!! Remember to take someone new out shooting this time. The more converts the better!! TJ

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,392 Posts
Wow a Smith and Wesson Mod 39. I'd really love to see that.

Congrats on the Tactical!

If you want to get a holster now. Try Comp-Tac. They have a good reputation on Customer Service and a lot of members here like them, including myself. They usually ship within a few days.

Thanks for sharing the pic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey, Thanks for the help and support! And to Loupav, thanks for the compliment on the mod39. My dad had always taken real good care of it, and I remember as a boy at the range people often wanted to buy it off of him and he would say no. I guess that makes it extra special sentimentally when he decided to give it to me. That was over 10 years ago, and I've tried to keep it nice since. I guess that's why it bugs me that I'm having sudden FTE issues with it. I'll have to find someone who qualifies as a gunsmith near by to take a look at it I suppose, unless any of you have any suggestions about what are the most common causes of Failure to Extracts.

Anyway, thanks for all the wonderful comments. I'm so glad to own an HK. Can anyone fill me in on what makes the Mk23 about twice as much as the Tactical? I think (I'm a newb so I'm not allowed to Know yet) it is longer, more accurate, has less movement when fired, and that the rails the slide slides on are all metal, and that the barrel is threaded the opposite direction. But what actually makes it command such a higher price?

Also, what are the best solvents and oil to use in cleaning my Tactical? I don't want to ruin the HE finish or the metal on account of stupidity or ignorance, and if something does happen to the HE finish where it would need to be repaired, reblued.... re-nitrocarborized?? what would I need or should I do? And does anyone have any tips for how best to conceal carry it? Especially with the type of holster I'm getting for it? My brother-in-law who is a plain-clothes detective has a pistol that's about the same size, but he always wears a jacket when he's on duty. However, in the summertime here in Indiana it can get into the 90's and super hi hummidity, I'm not sure wearing a jacket everywhere would be the brightest. ;)

Oh, and thanks for listening to me babble about my new best friend (in the inanimate object catagory!) I know we all like pictures so I added another one! You guys are great!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use Hoppes Elite or Mpro 7 spritz sprays and a bore snake most of the time. A little nylon (gun or tooth) brush will clean most other places. Breakfree CLP or the thicker LP are my choice for lube before carry/use. A drop or two in the slide rails, around the barrel (cuts down friction marks), and a dab on the safety detent plate and its ready.
For concealment you should consider clothes one size bigger in shirts and pants if possible. The IWB is the way to go, the Tac is big but not impossible to hide. Get a good belt, that's as important as the weapon, holster, and ammo. Wilderness tactical is hard to beat, I wear mine everyday. Position of comfort usually between 3 and 5 o'clock on the body, assuming you're right handed, works well. I use either a USP compact 40 with a bonded Golden Saber from Remington or Glock 26 in 9mm stoked with the +P+ Ranger Winchester load if I need a smaller weapon. The HK sees the most carry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts