HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I just got back from Blackwater for some training and I must say I was alittle disappointed to see so many Glocks and so little H&K"s. All you see everywhere is Glock 9mm and these guys can shoot like there is no tomorrow. I was also suprised to see so much 9mm being carried (Virginia Beach PD adjunct instructors, Navy Seals and SF etc... Yes, I understand that they get the 9mm ammo free, but alot of the guys seem to prefer it, stating...they can shoot tighter, faster patterns and can just control the gun better. I'm not trying to start a 9mm vs. 45 and Glock vs. H&K war...however I was alittle surprised. The training was awesome and I guess the gun and ammo come down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, the 9mm is a great little round. And the Glock is by far the most common LE pistol out there, so it makes sense that you would see so many.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First off, let me say that you're one lucky bastage to go to BW training.;)

Secondly, the first responder got it right. There are simply more glocks out there. Relatively cheap, fairly idiot-proof, and high reliability put them at the top of most PD's procurement list.

You can't argue with some of their reasoning either. The Glock's low bore axis makes it faster on target than the USP...hence their prevalence in competition. They're combat accurate and easy to strip for cleaning.

As for 9 vs 45? I'd rather not touch it:D
Personally, given the choice, I'll take the larger projectile every time (especially when confined to FMJ ball).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Everybody discredits the 9mm from whats going on overseas... the problem is that the regular soldier is given standard ball ammo.

With modern bullet technology the 9mm is a whole other beast. You think any of the contractor carry ball ammo... Now the 9mm is not my choice, but I sure as heck dont want to get hit with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
9mm vs. 45 wars are typically fought by keyboard warriors who never shot anyone in self defense and probably never will.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Too bad you didn't get to play with any of there HK416s or HK417s!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
experience from Blackwater

One of the Instructors had specifically been involved in 4 deadly shootings and all with his glock 9mm. Of course these guys are not shooting ball ammo, they are shooting winchester sxt black talon, or gold dot spear. However i was just surprised to see so much 9mm/Glock. They didn't talk bad about H&K however. They seem to all say - You have more shots, easier to control and tighter groupings. Personally I think you have to be comitted to .45, because I think you have to practice alittle more and it's going to cost you more, even if you reload. Just preference I guess.
By the way...I just got my new usp 45 tac with the Combat LEM Trigger on it and it's very smooth, light with a great reset.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Can you expound upon the training, was it worth the trip and the price? Positives negatives? what training did you take and have you had any training previously to compare it to. What were the instructors like and the facilities?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I call BS...

9mm is less expensive to train with. I know most trainees own a 45 or three.
What a joke... Are you trying to tell me that someone would actually waste their time training with 9mm but take 45 into a fight? I don't think so Tim. Another armchair warrior spreads his wings..... I've got news for you, when your ammo is free, you train with the caliber you fight with.
:74: :74:

As to the BW course attendee, where are the photos and what course did you take?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Slogans

"Glock: Chosen by police departments, militaries, and gangs of criminals too... damn, we're good."
"H&K: Chosen by Jack Bauer." Sold.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd be interested in the class particulars too. I've been thinking of taking a class there in 2008, maybe the pistol/carbine, but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually gone.

And, I'm gonna bring two Glocks with my MP5k-PDW.

David

·
Registered
279 Posts
"just back form Blackwater" ????lucky for some !! nothing like that here !!

·
Registered
261 Posts
What a joke... Are you trying to tell me that someone would actually waste their time training with 9mm but take 45 into a fight? I don't think so Tim. Another armchair warrior spreads his wings..... I've got news for you, when your ammo is free, you train with the caliber you fight with.
:74: :74:

As to the BW course attendee, where are the photos and what course did you take?
You sound like a ***** **** <edited by mod>, how do we know you are not an "armchair warrior"???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
specifics on Blackwater

The class I took was Extreme Officer survival- 3day class taught by 2 instructors. One was retired with four real life deadly shootings to draw from and one other instructor from SF experience and police experience and another Navy Seal guy with 12 years experience. This class was excellent. There is also a class that Erin Roberts(supposedly he just placed 10th in the Nationals) who teaches. Jam-up instructors, very no-nonence and professional. This class is a 3 day class taught by Erin Roberts called- Advanced Skills Handgun Course. The instructor is excellent, you go to this class, you will learn alot of the Tier-One training, with a mixed of the speed of competition but blended into real life combat. Great Class! Highly recommend it. http://www.blackwaterusa.com/images/pdf/Advanced Skills Handgun.pdf. You will shoot 500 rounds a day for 3 days but he will drill things in you hundreds of times over and over. Excellent techniques to take home. Huge Facility and great instructors. just save up and go once for one of the good classes. The Barracks you can sleep in are GREAT as well.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was a glock hater, until I started using one extensively. It's now a 19 or 23 on the hip.
Glocks are great weapons. Simple, robust/reliable, quick and accurate. Why surprised? Almost all the BW contractors and instructors @ BW use Glocks exclusively, regardless of what agreements BW had made with Sig or HK for armorers course training or other training BW provides the facilities for. Part of the 8wk DSS class requires timed pistol work, all using Glocks and Safariland holsters. It is a great environment, glad you enjoyed it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts