HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys try and take it easy on me this is my first post but I have some questions about new p2k. This is my first pistol and I am very happy with my purchase. I have put about 400 rds. through it so I am still getting used to it. Anyways I have been reading about the LEM and DA/SA trigger on this forum trying to figure which one I have. How do I know what it is? Which is better? I think it's DA/SA according to what the sales person at the shop explained. What exactly does the LEM do? What is the best ammo to use for practice range? I have been using Winchsters FMJ 115grd. It's the cheapest I can find but if it's going to affect the performance of the gun I will spend a few extra bucks and get the better ammo. A friend said I can only use FMJ is that true? Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated. I know I will have more questions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I recently purchased the same model you have. It's the V3 in 9MM like you have. The LEM is like the first shot on your pistol after you decock it to DA only the LEM is lighter. The bad news is from what I've asked here on the forum our P2000 cannot be converted to V2 or V1 LEM. Winchester White Box is fine. I have shot thousands of rounds with no problems myself. If you are going to carry it then you want to look at other rounds. The Winchester Ranger 127gr. JHPs' are reported one of the best, but hard to find. Try Corbon if you can find them. I lke mine and plan to carry it at times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.I actually do plan on carrying it someday once I take my ccw class. I am just getting as much range time with it as I can before I do that. Yes it is the white box of ammo. The higher the grade bullet the better? I was planning on getting the JHP for the home defense. I just wondered what is the cheapest I can get for the range since I plan on doing a lot shooting.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Alot of people use the Winchester White Box (WWB) from the local wally world for range practice. Another little bit cheaper option is Blazer Brass also from Wally World. Either is fine for practice a little bit dirty so clean your pistol good after shooting but still fine for practice.

Since the grain weight of the bullet also effects the recoil of the gun I would suggest staying the the grain weight for practice that you are going to use for self defense. For my 9mm I use 124grain. This is just my preference and it does recoil just a little bit harder then 115 grain. Also, anything in +P is going to recoil harder.

With that in mind when you go to the range shoot a few of your self defense rounds every now and then. Just to get the feel of them. It don't have to be alot because I know how expensive they can be. But you don't want to be only used to the cheap practice rounds and be surprised by the real thing if you ever have to use it.

I heard tale of something similar happening to a FBI agent when they carried 357mags. Don't know if it is true or not but supposedly she only trained with 38s in the weapon and had never fired a 357 mag round. One day in a shooting situation she fired a round and thought the gun had blew up do to the difference. A mistake resulting in her death. True story or not I have no idea.

My point is just be sure you know how your self defense round will perform, recoil, POI etc., etc., etc. Good luck and happy shooting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another dumb question, what is +p? I am very happy with it, at first I was debating between Hk and Glock, but I am glad I went with Hk. I like the feel of the Hk better than the Glocks.

Down the road I might get a tac light/ laser any suggestions? I was thinking the Insight m6 or x2l.

·
Registered
87 Posts
+P loads have more power than standard rounds

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Look on the case. It should say what variant it is, such as V2 or V3.
V3 is DA/SA with the first DA pull of about 11 pounds and the following shot being done SA with a pull about 5 pounds. The V3 has a decocker on the left side of the hammer.
If it does not have a decocker it is the LEM and standard is V2 with all trigger pulls being about 8 pounds. To achieve the 8 pound pull the slide must be racked between dry-fires so the hammer can be pre-loaded. When shooting the slide cycling preloads the hammer for each shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's a good holster for the P2k. I am looking to get two different styles. I need one for the range and one for when I get my ccw to carry it conceled. The one for the range would be for the outer belt rather than in the waist band.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Blackhawk CQC-Good holster for anyone, especially a beginner. Not too expensive.

·
Registered
82 Posts
As far as Tac Lights go, I am fond ot the Streamlight TLR series. I use a TLR-2 myself and love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone know where's a good place to find Mags for the p2k for a good price. It seems they are kind of expensive at local shop.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
Try either CDNN or watch the posts here. Big_Chris_304 a member here also has some 16 shot mags for them if they are legal where you are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts