HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, just found and joined the forum.

i have a P9S i bought new in 1976. Probably have shot 20k rounds through it with zero failures. but thats for hardball only, as it wont even move a hollowpoint from the magazine to the chamber.

the other day i decided to check the buffer, and glad i did - it had disintegrated. and the buffer carrier was cracked the entire length. was able to find one on ebay so i should be back in business soon.

in the meantime, i found this site and started reading. didnt know they changed the barrel ramp to be able to feed hollowpoints, and that would make this the perfect weapon.

only trouble is, cant find a barrel. the only one i saw is on hkparts and they want $899 for it.

is that normal? if it is, im sticking to hardball. perhaps this gun is so old i should just leave it alone...

mark

·
Registered
953 Posts
Barrels are out there, but you might have to pop a little higher than $199. There were a few dozen that hit the market about a year, year and a half ago, but that supply seems to have dried up. The newer barrels have a polished ramp to feed HPs, but there were many other internal changes too, including the bolt head and extractor. If hardball has gotten you this far, why mess with it?

One last thought: if your buffer and buffer housing were that far gone, you may also want to take a look at the buffer housing support.

Mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barrels are out there, but you might have to pop a little higher than $199. There were a few dozen that hit the market about a year, year and a half ago, but that supply seems to have dried up. The newer barrels have a polished ramp to feed HPs, but there were many other internal changes too, including the bolt head and extractor. If hardball has gotten you this far, why mess with it?

One last thought: if your buffer and buffer housing were that far gone, you may also want to take a look at the buffer housing support.

Mark

i went back and checked the buffer support piece and that looks fine. the buffer housing had a crack the entire length, but it was very small - one side appeared to be very slightly wider than the other side. when i squeezed it it moved; thats when i noticed the crack. everything else including the frame looks good, so with any luck this replacement part will show up this week and the gun will be good as new...

but your comment about hardball made sense - i think i might just stick with hardball and leave it alone. finding this one part was a pain, not sure if i will be as lucky in the future, so maybe i'll get something new to replace it and just shoot it once in a while. the H&K USP compact looks pretty nice on paper - the local range rents them, maybe ill try it out this week.

mark

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so i thought about it and you were right, that p9s is 41 years old, cant get parts, so its retired

bought a new USP compact 9mm yesterday, it should outlast me....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts