HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The USP match has been on my bucket list for years and always out of my price range, or just was never available anywhere. I have never seen one for sale "out in the wild" and only seen a couple online over the years.
I finally got one. The SN on the frame, slide, and barrel all match, so it is a real deal and not a clone. It was not cheap but I wanted it for my collection. Funny part was, I had just bought a USP Elite in 45 because I had written off the match as unobtainable. Not a week (maybe less) after picking up the elite, I find this match. Son of a bleep.
It is KH date code (1997) and a black slide. I really like the SS slides, but sometimes you just gotta take what you can get. It came with a zipper padded case, a few mags, the owners manual, and a extra barrel. The extra barrel is a standard length threaded. It also has a KH date code. I figure it was bought as a add on at the same time the gun was bought.
According to the manual, it was supposed to have two 12 round mags with the finger rest floorplates. Well it does not. It came with one 12 round factory mag with the standard floorplate, one 10 round factory mag, and 4 cheap aftermarket mags. I plan on getting another correct mag and a correct floorplate for the one I have and selling the others.
The padded case is just like the one I got with my Mk23, but the match has a couple extra velcro things. There is the long skinny sleeve/pouch (or whatever you call it) the extra barrel came in, and a square pouch. The square pouch has a maglula mag loader in it.
I was planning on selling the extra threaded barrel as I really have no use for it (I have a MK23 if I want to suppress a 45). But I wanted to check and make sure it was just a add on bought after the fact. I do not want to sell it if it came from the factory with it. There is no SN on it, so I would think it did not? It is a factory H&K barrel.
Also, anyone know what would have come in that square pouch? Was it included from the factory or was that added in with the sleeve/pouch for the extra barrel after the fact?

My holy grail would be a USP match in 9mm with a SS slide. I think I read somewhere that only the 40 and 45 versions were imported into the US and the 9mm version was never "officially" imported into the US. Was this true? I am pretty sure a few have been imported by people, but was it ever done by H&K?

On to the pictures:

·
Registered
558 Posts
What makes the "Match" any different than a USP 45 with a Match Weight Compensator?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Beautiful addition to the collection! Has the Match trigger for sure and a smaller production amount

Reactions: FPNunes

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
What makes the "Match" any different than a USP 45 with a Match Weight Compensator?
Barrel length (6in vs 4.5in), O-ring barrel, match trigger, smoothed internals, adjustable sights.

It is similar to your USP Elite internally but it uses a standard USP slide with the weight instead of the Elite slide. So you get the 6" barrel like the Elite but with a shorter sight radius. The advantage is of course lower recoil due to the match weight and a faster recoil impulse due to the shorter slide.

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
As an original Match owner, I do not believe these ever came with an extra barrel. The pouch the barrel was in was probably just the suppressor pouch? And the square pouch, that was for the Laser Aiming Module (LAM) originally developed for the Mark 23.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
As an original Match owner, I do not believe these ever came with an extra barrel. The pouch the barrel was in was probably just the suppressor pouch? And the square pouch, that was for the Laser Aiming Module (LAM) originally developed for the Mark 23.
Bingo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh, thank you! So it would appear this padded case was originally intended for a Mk23?
Interesting as the padded case that came with my Mk23 did not have these.

The trigger is very nice. It is close to, but still slightly better than the trigger in my Elite. Not sure if it is because the match has a few more miles on it, and my Elite has like 75 rounds through it.
I can not wait to shoot it but it is supposed to rain all weekend. So if it does, I will not have time until next weekend to shoot it.

It is in very good condition. It looks like it was shot a few boxes of rounds through it about 20 years ago and then never touched since.
The barrel had a lot of fouling in it that took forever to scrub out. I think I almost wore out a bore brush before it all came out. I found a couple small slivers of lead in the frame when I was cleaning it, which coupled with the barrel fouling leads me to think they were shooting cast lead bullets through it with some dirty powder. She shines now however.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Ahh, thank you! So it would appear this padded case was originally intended for a Mk23?

The trigger is very nice. It is close to, but still slightly better than the trigger in my Elite. Not sure if it is because the match has a few more miles on it, and my Elite has like 75 rounds through it.
I can not wait to shoot it but it is supposed to rain all weekend. So if it does, I will not have time until next weekend to shoot it.

It is in very good condition. It looks like it was shot a few boxes of rounds through it about 20 years ago and then never touched since.
The barrel had a lot of fouling in it that took forever to scrub out. I think I almost wore out a bore brush before it all came out. I found a couple small slivers of lead in the frame when I was cleaning it, which coupled with the barrel fouling leads me to think they were shooting cast lead bullets through it with some dirty powder. She shines now however.
That case is original, black if I recall correctly. HK just had the same configuration for several different guns. I think I have four different guns in different colored zipped soft cases, all with the same accessory pouches. Your Mk 23 should have come in a camo soft case with a suppressor pouch, LAM pouch, dual mag pouch, and two pieces that hold the gun (one a muzzle cover, the other with a strap that goes around the grip). At least, going from memory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That case is original, black if I recall correctly. HK just had the same configuration for several different guns. I think I have four different guns in different colored zipped soft cases, all with the same accessory pouches. Your Mk 23 should have come in a camo soft case with a suppressor pouch, LAM pouch, dual mag pouch, and two pieces that hold the gun (one a muzzle cover, the other with a strap that goes around the grip). At least, going from memory.
My MK23 came with the factory hard case with the matching SN on it , but also came with a black padded case just like this one. However it only had the parts that hold the gun, and the mag pouch, nothing else.
So it would seem that pouch is not "correct" for it, but oh well. I think I will take the suppressor and LAM pouch out of the case that came with my match and put it in the case for my MK23 making it a little more correct.
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
My MK23 came with the factory hard case with the matching SN on it , but also came with a black padded case just like this one. However it only had the parts that hold the gun, and the mag pouch, nothing else.
So it would seem that pouch is not "correct" for it, but oh well. I think I will take the suppressor and LAM pouch out of the case that came with my match and put it in the case for my MK23 making it a little more correct.
Thanks for the help.
Your presumption is likely correct. First Mk 23’s came in the soft case, later Mk 23’s came in boxes. Likely the original owner added the soft case, but it wasn’t complete with all accessory pouches.

·
Registered
321 Posts

FWIW the match trigger HKs with more rounds thru them seem to have better triggers so I would not put it past that Elite to clean up nicely after more use (found this with VPs too). The match triggers are, of course, functionally identical between the Match and Elite. Not saying that some aren’t great from the start, just my experience. Best match trigger (by a good margin) I have felt was high mileage tactical 40. Also, as others have posted the threaded barrel was not a thing for the Match. Love to hear if anyone can confirm anything different. If it has an o-ring in the right place perhaps it was a 6 in hunter/barrel accessory. I know they did this with the .40 which is sometimes used for USP Match 40....clones (can u have a clone of something that wasn’t made...I guess it’s more an “inspired by”? Anyhow, they look good, really cool. If it was a factory hunter barrel, someone killed most of the value having it threaded. Could keep it as a spare shooter barrel if you wanted. Just a guess as to its origin.
Congrats on the Match (and Elite). I prefer the black versus stainless cosmetically but would not make either sleep outside. If you got into it right (or not) it will only go up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your presumption is likely correct. First Mk 23’s came in the soft case, later Mk 23’s came in boxes. Likely the original owner added the soft case, but it wasn’t complete with all accessory pouches.
I bought it brand new in 2013. (BD date code). So I assume the seller threw in the soft case. I got it from a seller on gunbroker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The rain held off this afternoon long enough to get a couple mags trough it.
The weight makes a difference in the muzzle rise and makes for a quick come back to target. The recoil impulse however is slightly different. For lack of a better explanation, it feels slightly more sharp or snappy. I suppose it has to do with the standard weight slide with the long barrel. My elite with the same length barrel, but with a long slide to match, does not feel this way. However it is in no way uncomfortable to shoot and is quite the opposite, it is quite fun. Just slightly noticeably different.
The trigger took some getting used to and I pulled a couple shots, but here is a group I shot at 18 yards. I am by no means a expert handgun marksman and the fliers are 100% me. But I still feel like it was not bad for using some cheap ammo (independence aluminum 230gr fmj). It was just the first thing I grabbed.
I plan on making some hand loads with a few different powders and seeing what it likes the best.
This is a full mag (12 rounds) on paper with my shaky hands.

After that, I stepped back to 25 yards and hit my 10 inch gong with no issues. I then stepped back to 50 yards and still hit the same gong without much trouble. I had 4 rounds left and hit 3 out of the 4 at 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Nice find. I like the black Match's better than the stainless.

And the Match's never came with an extra barrel; the previous owner added that aftermarket.

Lastly, I would not shoot aluminum cased ammo; it can damage your chamber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice find. I like the black Match's better than the stainless.

And the Match's never came with an extra barrel; the previous owner added that aftermarket.

Lastly, I would not shoot aluminum cased ammo; it can damage your chamber.
Lol, how in the world can a aluminum case damage the chamber?
If it was steel cased, maybe. I will not shoot steel cased in anything I have, but there is no way aluminum cases could hurt the hard steel of a HK barrel.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Lol, how in the world can a aluminum case damage the chamber?
If it was steel cased, maybe. I will not shoot steel cased in anything I have, but there is no way aluminum cases could hurt the hard steel of a HK barrel.
Read up case obturation..Aluminium is a good conductor of heat . You shoot a lot of rounds in a hurry and the chamber gets hot , the aluminium cases don't want to extract sometimes .

·
Registered
321 Posts
Read up case obturation..Aluminium is a good conductor of heat . You shoot a lot of rounds in a hurry and the chamber gets hot , the aluminium cases don't want to extract sometimes .
To your point- Ripped an aluminum case in half in a UMP40. Ultimately didn’t damage the weapon but a complete PITA to get the remnants out. Granted there’s a lot more stress/heat on FA but your point re: aluminum is sound.
Anecdotal- never had this prob w a semi/pistol shooting a lot of aluminum but know you takes your chances if you use it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So mag dumping a full auto with the AL case might be a issue, I got ya.
That is about the polar opposite from what I do with my pistols.
Slow fire target practice/fun/plinking. I do not shoot matches or competitions with them, so it is a non issue for me. 2 mags back to back slow fire is the most I will shoot a pistol before switching to something else and letting it cool.
If I did for some reason want to shoot in a match, the cheap AL case would not be what I use in it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts