HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my 45c at a local dealer; it had been sitting in the display for well over 3 years. Price was right, however I was told it was a variant 1 (no sticker, or indication on the case it came with as to what variant it is). The decock doesn't work- it's only a safety- which leads me to believe it's the 9th variant. It says Made in Germany which is great- however I'm perplexed by the safety- the S and F aren't colored- it's all black plastic (not painted/markered out). Plus the rt. slide release is almost a red in color- no black paint left and when the hammer is all the way down, it makes some noise when moving the pistol. I can't believe people touching the gun can wear it off that much.. Anyways- what is your opinion with the safety- has it been replaced- or is this something normal on early models of this pistol? I'm a purest and would like to know; haven't even shot it yet just wondering if someone dropped it or something and had to replace parts. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Is it HK45C or USPc .45? NIB or used? We need more info to diagnose its issues.
+1, me confused. Not hard to do, but still..

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Pictures are key. What's stamped on the detention plate?

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Unless the USP has a right side slide release, I suspect he's got an HK45c. It doesn't sound like it was really new.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It sounds to me like a HK45C with the noisy right side slide release also when the finish wears on the release and it reveals the base metal it does look coppery/reddish in color, as far as the de-cocker it may be a little hard to activate if it is dry from sitting around ( make sure it is unloaded first) and try it again with a little more force to see if it works properly. I hope that you did get a good deal $ wise, Hk's are very robust firearms and a little finish wear will in no way affect the performance of your new handgun it is bound to get worn if you carry it anyway.

GOTURBACK

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
First off welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your HK.

The decock doesn't work- it's only a safety- which leads me to believe it's the 9th variant.
Are there any numbers visible on the detent plate? If it is indeed a V1, it may just need some lubrication behind the detent plate. My HK45c started getting real hard to decock after a few hundred rounds, and a drop of lubricant worked to fix it.

...it makes some noise when moving the pistol.
What kind of noise? If it is a rattle, it could be the right slide lock or the recoil assembly bushing moving around.

AWD

·
Registered
865 Posts
First off congrats and welcome to the forum. I agree with posting a picture and he can start from there and help you. Don't get bothered by not have the painted letters show up a little "Model Paint" can fix that. As far as the "rattle" I agree with AWD the right slide release does rattle and that's the "norm", now for the "slide release" turning red that's also normal my USP is or has turned "PLUMB" it's all called character.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The right hand "decocking lever" (slide release) can be lose on some and tighter on others. This is normal. As far as I can tell, if this weapon is SA/DA and not LEM (DAO), you have a Variant 9.

Variant 9: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on left side of frame.

It could also be a LEM with safety lever retained, but highly doubt it from the information you have given. If your looking for a variant 1 then all you will need to order is the V1 detent plate and replace it with the one which is currently installed. This can be done by yourself if you have the tools and time, or HK can do it for you.

Welcome to the forums
Kravur

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

It's an HK45C; and was supposedly unfired- just a display model; however since it had been in the display for so long it acquired the "plum" finish on the rt. slide release. I just haven't seen a safety look like mine- no remnants of paint or anything. I really wish there was a way to tell the variant just by the serial number. Maybe I'll call the mfgr. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
This appears to be a V9 pistol.

I've not seen many HK45C pistols. Based on the USP series pistols I've seen, though, the V3 (DA/SA Decock Only) uses an unmarked lever. No reason for any markings. I've not seen a F-marking on the HK45 series, but photos do show the S-marking on what I assume are V1 models, the most produced model.

But the levers are all the same other than the markings. That is you can use your (probably) V9 lever with a V3 (or V1) detent plate. These plates retail for about $10 and slip out/into the pistol in 10 minutes or less.

That the pistol sat in the case for several years is further indication (to me) that's it V9 as most buyers seem to want V1 (DA/SA) models. Then they discover LEM and have to convert! :wink:

-- Chuck

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
The Detent Plate should have 5+6 stamped on it (V9). It elimintates the decock feature, it also eliminates the 1/2 cock position of the hammer of a V1. I recently went to V9 since I dont use the de-cock feature, I prefer this configuration by far over V1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts