HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It definitely has the vp40 recoil spring! Unfortunately I only had 115gr ammo and had not shot the gun before tonight. Had a lot of malfunctions because it wasn't cycling fully. No big deal, I expected it so I wasn't worried. I had my other one with me but wanted to use the match as a break in. By the end of the match it functioned much better (about 120 rounds or so). I suspect it will be running fine in no time. I've been running my usp and my expert a lot lately, so I am going to put some work into my vp9s. I'll be interested to see if I can do as well or better with the vps as I've been doing with the usps. Anyway, if you pick up a new vp9 definitely run a few boxes of stout ammo thru it;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah my new one (black frame sadly) has the 40 spring in it too.

I was shooting 124's with it, it was having failures the first 30 rounds or so, but by the end of about 100 it was cycling fine.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoping to shoot another match Sunday 200 plus rounds. I'm sure it will be fine by the end. I don't shoot the vp9 as well as I'd like so I'm gonna put some work into it. I love the gun:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is my second one, I shoot them really well, but I shoot all my HKs basically equally well.

My only complaint I have, I wish it were a compact size, the same as a USP C or P2000.

I'm glad mine came with the .40 spring though, I plan on adding the threaded barrel soon, and that's one less thing to buy.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you distinguish the 40 spring from the original 9 spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My first vp9 had red on the recoil spring. The new one didn't. Plus I read they were using the vp40 spring. But mostly by the number of malfunctions. ��

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have two VP9s, both of which came with the red recoil spring (and both of which predate the VP40). Both have shot perfectly without any malfunctions with all kinds of ammo (albeit all branded new, brass).

I read on this forum that HK switched to the VP40's RSA. But this is the first I'm reading of a break-in period involving malfunctions. :330:

Was the original VP9 spring not powerful enough? Seems odd to switch to a spring that invites malfunctions and a break-in period....

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
The original VP9 RSA works just fine . I had 19,000 rounds on mine and replaced it with the VP40 RSA . I think the main reason HK went to the stronger RSA for both VP's was the appearing to not being fully in battery situation after the striker was cocked with the somewhat weaker VP9 RSA . Remember that being discussed here on this forum ? Google it if you don't . Either RSA works just fine in the VP9 and there's NO NEED to replace whichever spring you have .

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
The 40 cal spring is silver. The 9mm spring is red. I ran my brand new VP9 tactical (silver spring) the other night after a quick cleaning and lube with the below ammo with no issues. I ran the Perfecta first on purpose and everything ran great. Suppressed and unsuppressed.

115 grain Perfecta from Walmart
124 grain NATO MEN in Germany - MEN9B
124 grain NATO Winchester Mil-spec Ammo Q4318
147 grain Federal HST Hollow Point LE Ammo P9HST2
158 grain Fiocchi Subsonic

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have two VP9s, both of which came with the red recoil spring (and both of which predate the VP40). Both have shot perfectly without any malfunctions with all kinds of ammo (albeit all branded new, brass).

I read on this forum that HK switched to the VP40's RSA. But this is the first I'm reading of a break-in period involving malfunctions. :330:

Was the original VP9 spring not powerful enough? Seems odd to switch to a spring that invites malfunctions and a break-in period....
Had I used the recommended ammo I doubt there would've been any issues. I'll shoot it again tomorrow and update.

·
Registered
186 Posts
its been my personal experience if the 115gr ammo you use is loaded to 1200+ fps it will run in anything. that not +p just a little warm.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The VP9 tactical seems to need the 40 spring to run reliably suppressed. I imagine at least part of the reason to switch the normal model was just to simplify logistics and maintain commonality. It wouldn't surprise me if they stopped making the old red spring altogether.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I had 19,000 rounds on mine [/B]
That is just amazing Crash ! How about some pics and a little write up about your "cleaning and maintenance " on that gun ? I know it a little too much to ask you, but it would be a wonderful reading for all the people buying the VP9.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I shot a match with it today. Had major issues for the first two stages. Then shot 4 more without issue. I used 115gr Speer lawman. I think it's fine now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I too just got my Grey VP9 with the new silver RSA. Malfunctions in the first 150 rounds with Fiocchi 115g.
I stripped it and relubed with Slip 2000 EWL. Left the slide locked back for 48 hours.
Then ran 100 rounds of Winchester 124g NATO. No malfunctions. Then 50 of 124g Blazer Brass with no malfunctions.

So far so good. I have 3 earlier vp9 black models with the red RCA and never had malfunctions with any of them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts