HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been critical of Korean mags in the past due to a negative experience I had with some of the old green box mags. Ever since HKParts declined to let me return those (because I actually tried to use them, they wouldn't let me return "used" mags) I washed my hands of anything other than HK and POF mags for the MP5 9mm. Consequently, I haven't bought anything from HKParts since.

1) Recent glowing reports of the newer Korean made mags made me take a second look at them.
2) Proactive efforts of KCI to reach out to customers who have had troubles with their mags in an honest effort to correct problems made a big impact on my decision to actually spend money once again on the product and give the newest 2nd generation of MP5 magazines another try.
3) POF mags have become unobtanium in recent months and the recent influx of HK made SP5 pistol variants has driven the price of HK mags back up into "stupid" range.

So I appealed to the forum for a couple POF mags to even out the number I had (OCD, don't judge me!) and give me one in the rifle. While I waited on a suitable result to that effort I ordered a couple of the KCI Gen II magazines from Brownells. Those arrived today and within minutes I had them loaded and outside in the sauna for a test run.
Both magazines ran full to empty with S&B 124gr ball without a hitch, glitch, or FUBAR. Obviously I'm very happy.

Most of anything I can offer about the mags has already been said here on the forums before, construction looks well done, welds are clean, chrome followers, finish is more flat than any HK or POF mag I've seen but it's attractive and well done. But most important is that they work as they should.

A couple things of note, I've read about and seen pictures of these magazines that have the KCI logo etched into the side of the body near the "9mm" stamp. These mags do not have this etching for some reason. So without this marking how does one determine who made them if he isn't very familiar with the matte/flat bluing used on the bodies?
The windows or holes on the back side of the mag that one uses to determine at what level the magazine is loaded are stamped in the wrong place. And the floor plates have some cosmetic differences.

Here you see left to right, KCI, POF, HK. The holes are too far to the left. Both of my KCI mags are like this.

One last thing to note. I'm not exactly sure how important this is or will become but it's worthy of remembering, the feed lips are narrow. Or more precisely the gap between them on the KCI mags is narrow as compared to both HK and POF. After test firing a couple of times I noticed that the feed lips had been worn some, by the bolt group. There were some small burrs caused by the action which I smoothed off with a sanding stick. And the gun ran perfectly in spite of this.

Seeing the wear made me get out the caliper which confirmed what my eyes told me. The gap between feed lips on the HK mag is .464, POF is .467, but the KCI is .423. That's a lot. It's a simple matter of some gentle sanding or filing to correct the gap and eliminate the areas that are worn by the bolt group so the gap matches that of the HK and POF examples. I plan to do this more to eliminate any unnecessary wear to the bolt group than to save the mag or make any changes to how it works. If there are any issues that come up from the modification I'll post about it here.
Some may wonder, if the mags work as they are, why "fix" them? I believe the mags work in spite of the gap issue, not because of it, and am convinced that correcting the gap so there is no contact between the bolt group and the feed lips will have no affect on how reliable the magazines are. HK and POF both seem to agree.

I plan to buy a few more to leave in the wrapper for a point in time in the future. If you've been on the fence about the KCI Gen II mags I'll say they really are worth a look. They work. KCI has proven to be more than willing to make any problems right and that goes a long way with me.

Reactions: yellowyak

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Small update. I modified the magazines as indicated above with a small file and a sanding stick, smoothing out file markings and burrs once I had my measurement. Both mags were loaded to max and tested, both ran perfectly just as before. On one of the mags there was still slight evidence of the carrier rubbing the right feed lip, the other mag showed no signs of rubbing. I may have not got the lips of the one mag perfectly even hence the slight rubbing on the right side but practice makes perfect, they say. Next time I'll come up with a way to make sure the lips are even, like some kind of jig or gauge that will verify the gap is centered and at the correct width.
On these guinea pig mags I didn't open the gap all the way up to mirror the HK/POF gap on the first go around but instead stopped a little short just to leave room for error correction. There remains about .010 left to remove to get to the same gap as the HK/POF mags and that should be enough to completely correct the one mag with a rub on the right side.
I'm very happy with these and will be getting more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have testified several times on this forum that my experience with the KCI Gen2 mags has been flawless. I've not gone to the extent of measuring the wear on the bolt group, but over several hundred rounds I've had ZERO problems with them. The only way I can identify them as Gen2 is by the packaging that says "Gen2"....FWIW.

Having said that, I still trust my life only to original HK mags. I keep six original German mags in original wrappers, I use KCI mags for practice, and I keep German mags loaded for potential emergency use. This makes KCI mags great in terms of wear-and-tear cost.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I never understood why a korean company makes mp5 mags. Do they make them for the korean military? If so, why don't they just buy german made mags? There isn't a korean mp5 is there?

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Most of anything I can offer about the mags has already been said here on the forums before, construction looks well done, welds are clean...
Thanks for your very detailed review. I like the KCI mags too and have a couple that I rotate through. But seeing your side by side picture, while I agree with the “welds are clean”, the HK one is perfection. My first thought was, “is there even a weld?”. I never paid attention to that before and had to pull out my own mags to see the difference for myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts